PDA

View Full Version : JAMES DURKIN, POLICE DETECTIVE

Carole40
17-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi all,
Can any-one help me out, I am trying to find out about his service record, etc. any-thing about his work really.
James Durkin, b, 2-3-1855, Poulton-le- Fylde, Lancs. 1861 Census has James & his family living at 64 Warburton St, West Derby, L'pool. This census also states he was a "Police Detective Officer".
I started by writting to Lancashire Records Office. Appears he did not serve with the Lancs. Constabulary. Other possibilities - he could have served with one of the Borough Police Forces.
West Derby was a parish within the Borough of L'pool, & from an extension of L'pool boundries in 1889,it was Policed by the former L'pool City Police Force; prior to that date was Policed by the Lancs Constabulary.
So, it seems that James could have served with the former L'pool Police Force. These records are held by the present day Merseyside Constabulary.
I next wrote to the address supplied, to the Records & Archive Officer. He was unable to locate any service record for James & said that the records that survived from this period, are mainly retired/pensioned Officers.
I am at a loss as to what to do next, hope some-one can help, Regards Carole.

Geoffers
18-02-2009, 2:11 PM
West Derby was a parish within the Borough of L'pool, & from an extension of L'pool boundries in 1889,it was Policed by the former L'pool City Police Force; prior to that date was Policed by the Lancs Constabulary. So, it seems that James could have served with the former L'pool Police Force. These records are held by the present day Merseyside Constabulary.

Was there a separate Dociks police force back then? - If so, it's records would probably have been taken over by the Port of Liverpool Force.

Also try the Transport Police

The actual 1891 census only records him as a 'Detective Officer' The tag 'police' has been added by the clerk who extracted the information.

Carole40
19-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks to you for your ideas, you have given me some-thing to look into. I would not have known that there could be a seperate Docks Police Force, but it makes sense.
The info from the 1881 Census, looks like "my" James,
as he married a Mary Murray, so thanks again, for that.
I will start by looking at the Docks Police Force, seems the most likely,
Regards Carole.

Geoffers
19-02-2009, 1:26 PM
I will start by looking at the Docks Police Force, seems the most likely.

Do also consider the British Transport Police (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/rdleaflet.asp?sLeafletID=336) - this link leads to a research guide indicating that BTP still hold "several thousand 'staff record cards' going back as far as the 1860's."