PDA

View Full Version : TYMPANIST (Dance Orchestra)

cheryljones
16-02-2009, 11:20 PM
I am searching for my maternal Grandfather. His name was John William Turner. All I know is that he was a Tympanist (Drummer) in a Liners Band and away at sea a lot.
My father was born in October 1934. My grandmother was Gladys Margaret Jones. The address on his Birth Certificate is 17 Hatherley Street, Toxteth Park, Liverpool South.
Any information on where I can start to look would be great.
Thanks Cheryl

Mutley
16-02-2009, 11:38 PM
Tympanist - Isn't that one who plays the Kettle Drum?

Fascinating instrument :)

cheryljones
17-02-2009, 1:48 AM
I have no idea sorry. All my dad said was that he was a Tympanist in a liners band. Any idea how to search for liners bands around 1930?

Cheryl

Geoffers
17-02-2009, 8:54 AM
I have no idea sorry. All my dad said was that he was a Tympanist in a liners band. Any idea how to search for liners bands around 1930?

Never having had to do so, I would imagine - with difficulty.

I would be inclined to want to know who employed him and use that as a starting point - was he and the band in which he played employed directly by the company that owned the liner? - or was he a member of a band which was contracted to work on individual cruises?

Are there any clues in his marriage certificate or birth certificates of children? A name of a ship would help.

Any family photos, conveniently taken in front of a ship on which he worked?

Do you know the name of the band? - Are there any musicians magazines?

Any surviving family members who can give a clue?

Sue Mackay
17-02-2009, 9:39 AM
As Geoffers says, knowing which shipping company he worked for might help. As your father was born in Liverpool it was probably his home port, so one of the transatlantic liners? This site (http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/maritime/archive/displayGuide.aspx?sid=10&mode=html&sorStr=s_no%20ASC%200&serStr=&pgeInt=0&catStr)shows that although Cunard transferred most of its liner business to Southampton after WW1 there were still transatlantic liners operating out of Liverpool.

cheryljones
17-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Bit of a tricky situation. My grandmother was married first in 1928. When her husband went to war she presumed he was dead. Then had relationship with John W Turner and along came my father. He was born as I said in Liverpool in 1934. All he knew about his father is that he was a tympanist on a liner. No other information is available as there is no one to ask.

Peter Goodey
17-02-2009, 11:04 AM
What does it say on your father's birth certificate?

I don't suppose it's relevant but what war was it between 1928 and 1934?

Mutley
17-02-2009, 11:23 AM
To start off, I would spend a couple of hours on google. Try all sorts of searches. Kettle Drums, Liverpool 1930 Bands, Tympanist, Ships Bands, Brass Bands, Cunard, transatlantic liners etc and combinations.

It will not tell you about your grandfather specifically but will give you information on the life and music he played. There was also the military bands, the Royal Marines, for instance.

Have fun

cheryljones
18-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Hi Peter, Dads birth certificate was the Reg District of Liverpool South. 1934, Sub-district Toxteth Park, County Borough of Liverpool.
Born 12/10/1934, 17 Hatherley Stgreet u.d. Father - John William Turner, Tympanist (Dance Orchestra), Mother Gladys Margaret Jones formerly Cox.
Thats about all I have.
Cheers Cheryl

Peter Goodey
18-02-2009, 7:53 AM
Well, we've established that it was a dance band so we must be getting somewhere :)

On that birth certificate, the parents appear not to have been claiming to be married to each other. Presumably they both turned up for the registration?

Did he ever appear again?

Money sometimes leaves more of a trail than people. I wonder if the mother had to chase him for money in which case there might be something among court records. You would need a local researcher to pursue that.

cheryljones
19-02-2009, 2:26 AM
Hi Peter. From what I know my grandmother married Harold Charles Jones in 1928. He went off to war I think. She then had my father to John Turner in 1934. He was also known as Jack.
Do not know if Harold returned but my dad said Harold died of TB between 1928 and 1934
Harold and my grandmother had a son Derek born 12/12/28.
Thats about all I know.

cheryljones
19-02-2009, 2:29 AM
Hi Peter. From what my dad has told me my grandmother married Harold Charles Jones in 1928. They had a son Derek. 12/12/28. I presume Harold went off to war. My dad said he died between 1928 and 1934 of TB.
She then had my dad to John Turner - also known as Jack.
Thats about all I know.