PDA

View Full Version : Bridge Terrace Llandysilio Montgomeryshire

Bob Topley
16-02-2009, 6:05 PM
In the 1891 Wales Census my grandfather Freddie Topley, age 11, is residing with his grandmother Elizabeth Rowlands, widow, age 75. see RG12/4600. They are recorded as living at 10 Bridge Terrace, Civil Parish Llandysilio, Rural Dist. Llanfyllin, Parliament Div. Montgomeryshire. Does anyone know if Bridge Terrace still exists or where in Llandysilio it might be? Freddie's father Edward, died Dec. 24, 1881 when Freddie was only 2 years old.

busyglen
16-02-2009, 6:41 PM
I've been trying to search maps of the area Bob, but so far Bridge Terrace isn't coming up. I'm probably using the wrong name, as I tried Llandysilio. Possibly I should be looking at Llanfyllin, and will give that a try. On the other hand, it might not exist nowadays.

Will let you know if I find anything.

Glenys

busyglen
16-02-2009, 6:52 PM
There's a Bridge St. in Llanfyllin, but couldn't trace a Bridge Terrace. The map isn't good enough to give terrace names, so it could be there.

I used a google search for a street map of Llanfyllin, perhaps you may have more luck.

Glenys

Browneyes
16-02-2009, 7:28 PM
Does anyone here speak Welsh? |banghead| only I don't know if this will help or not but it mentions Llanfyllin

http://history.powys.org.uk/ysgolion/primhome.html

Browneyes

Ps Ok ok. I have just spotted a button for 'English'. We all make mistakes you know :D

Bob Topley
16-02-2009, 8:01 PM
I used Google and came up with Llandysilio, Llanymynech, Powys but no Bridge Terrace. It would appear the name has changed over the years.

Browneyes
16-02-2009, 8:03 PM
An alternative spelling? LLANDISSILIO Pembroke, South Wales

If so...
Llandissilio parish was divided, Llandissilio West being in Pembrokeshire and Llandissilio East in Carmarthenshire.

The Parliamentary Division of Pembrokeshire Civil Parish was, apparently, enumerated as Llandissillio West

Bob Topley
16-02-2009, 8:26 PM
On the 1891 Wales Census RG/12/4600 page 2 it lists the following:
Administrative County - Montgomeryshire
Civil Paris - Llandysilio
Rural Sanitary District - Llanfyllin
Parliamentry Borough or Division - Montgomeryshire
Ecclesinatical Parish or District - Llandysilio
No. of schedule - 10
The Road, Street & c and No. or Name of House - Bridge Terrace.
Some of the Road/Houses on the page are:
Before Bridge Terrace - Plas Foxen
Then Bridger Terrace
After Bridge Terrace - Four Crosses Inn
The county is obviously Montgomeryshire which is now Powys.

Browneyes
16-02-2009, 9:35 PM
There is something called the Archives Network Wales which holds documents relevant to the place you are looking for.

I suggest looking at http://www.archivesnetworkwales.info/search/thesaurus/places/list11.shtml#lbl426

Not sure if you could contact them for help.

B x

Bob Topley
17-02-2009, 1:26 AM
Thank you for the web site reference it looks interesting.
I'm also going to followup on the Powys Council site.
I think there maybe a councilor or clerk for Llandysillio that can put me in touch with a person who is knowledgeable about the area and it's history.

Browneyes
17-02-2009, 8:09 AM
I would be interested to know what you find out about Llandysilio/Llanfyllin - maybe it's only me that's got confused here but it does seem that several changes occurred in the area. It would be so useful if someone had a suitable map dated 1891...

Bob Topley
17-02-2009, 12:17 PM
I was looking at a map last night and I noticed Four Crosses is just south of the village of Llandysilio on the west side of Hwy B4393 and A483. I also noticed a road with the name Foxen in it on the east side of B4393. It would seem reasonable that Bridge Terrace was in that area years ago but has been renamed or perhaps the building(s) has been demolished. There is a Shropshire Union Canal nearby at the end of Parson's Lane so maybe there is or was a bridge over it. We'll eventually find out.