PDA

View Full Version : Looking for John Jackson

dandiedinmont
14-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Hi,

I need help in where to go next. I have found John Jackson on the 1841 census living in Monmouthshire, he has the following children, John, Henry, Emma, Ann, Elizabeth, Fanny, Harriet and William and his wife is Mary. John and Mary are born around 1811.

His son Henry is my line, I find him in Birmingham in 1871 and 1881 and his birth info at IGI gives his birthday as January 28, 1844 in Newport. I am trying to get information on his father John and mother Mary but don't know where to start looking. Could anyone give me some advise.

Geoffers
14-02-2009, 11:39 PM
Welcome to the B-G forums

Were the births of any of the children born after 1837, registered? A copy of a birth certificate would give you the mother's maiden name. If you haven't looked/don't know where to look, or how to apply for a certificate - please ask.

Did your chap live to 1851 and if so can you idetify him in the census of that year? It should give a more precise age and a more exact birthplace.

For baptisms, marriages and burials before the start of civil registration in 1837, you will need to sue parish registers - you may be able to hire copies on film at mormon church (LDS) record centres.

dandiedinmont
15-02-2009, 1:13 AM
Thanks for your reply.

John and the family showed up on the 1851 census but I did not get any new information from it. I know that John died before the 1861 census. All the children were born prior to 1837. Henry's birth info does show up on the LDS site, I didn't think about getting the records from the LDS, we are new to our city but there is an LDS Church here so I will contact them. Does the LDS have all the records for Wales?

dandiedinmont
15-02-2009, 2:03 AM
Sorry, I gave wrong info. Some of the children were born after 1837, I will try and get some more info and see if I can get a birth certificate.

Geoffers
15-02-2009, 10:57 AM
but there is an LDS Church here so I will contact them. Does the LDS have all the records for Wales?

I don't know - never had to use one of their centres - but I believe that they have a catalogue with film references.

From 1851 census - what were the recorded birthplaces of the family?

Some of the children were born after 1837, I will try and get some more info and see if I can get a birth certificate.

If you are not familiar with the GRO indices and the system of applying for certificates, please ask.

John Nicholas
15-02-2009, 2:00 PM
I have the Jacksons also in 1851, still living in Monmouth: HO107/ 2445 f 361 p 17, and following page. Here it says Henry was born in Monmouth, and this emunerator differentiates between Monmouth town and Monmouthshire. So Newport could well be a red herring. I can't find a civil registration match for Henry on FreeBMD in either Monmouthshire or Herefordshire.

Mike John runs a very useful Monmouthshire website and discussion forum at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/monfh. Joining is free but you have to apply.

John

dandiedinmont
15-02-2009, 9:40 PM
I looked up the following children all born after 1837 in Free BMD and none of them show up:

Emma, John, Henry, Elizabeth

Is there any reason they would not show up, were all births in Wales recorded after 1837?

The information that shows up on the IGI shows their christening dates, not birth date.

I rechecked the 1881 census and Henry does say his place of birth was Newport, guess it's a toss up where he was born.

Geoffers
15-02-2009, 10:03 PM
In the earlier years of civil registration, there was a certain amount of failure to register births. So it is possible that you may not find births registered.

According to the 1851 censes, were all the children born in Monmouth?

dandiedinmont
15-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Yes, in 1851 all the children were born in Monmouth.

Any suggestions where I can go from here, if I get the info from LDS will it show the parents names?

Geoffers
15-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Yes, in 1851 all the children were born in Monmouth

Good, that narrows things down

Any suggestions where I can go from here, if I get the info from LDS will it show the parents names?[/quote]

Parish registers of baptisms for this period record:

Date
Name of child baptised
Parents' names
Father's occupation
Residence
Cleric

Note that the mother's maiden name is not normally recorded - also residence is usually just a town name, or parish name.

In the 19th century, baptisms sometimes occur sometime after birth - parents getting all their children baptised in one go - so you may have to search the registers for several years.

dandiedinmont
15-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated. Tracking down my father's Jackson family has been very difficult due to a problem with one name. Now I feel, maybe I will be able to find the missing info on John.

I will let you know if I have any success.

Again thanks for your assistance.

|jumphappy

Geoffers
15-02-2009, 10:42 PM
I looked up the following children all born after 1837 in Free BMD and none of them show up:

Emma, John, Henry, Elizabeth.

The 1851 census
HO107/2445 f36 p17
Granvil Street, Monmouth

records that John JACKSON is aged 2

One other John JACKSON appears on the 1851 census in Monmouthshire of approx the correct age - he is shown as 1 and living in Abergavenny.

The GRO index shows two births for John JACKSONs in Monmouth - unfortunately both in the same quarter and year:

March 1849 - JACKSON, John - Monmouth - Vol 26 Page 93
March 1849 - JACKSON, John - Monmouth - Vol 26 Page 98

So there is a reasonable chance that one of these certificates will be correct. You can apply conditions to an application for a certificate - e.g. you might record that you only want the certificate where the dad's name is John and the mum is Mary. If the GRO check and the names don't match, you get a partial refund.

dandiedinmont
15-02-2009, 10:45 PM
That looks like it would be the correct John, my John is baptized on April 1, 1849.

How do I go about getting a certificate?

Geoffers
15-02-2009, 11:00 PM
That looks like it would be the correct John, my John is baptized on April 1, 1849.

How do I go about getting a certificate?

1. Double check that I have corretly transcribed the two entries

2. Apply for copies of one or both from the General Register Office (GRO) (http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/)
(You will need the complete reference from the index).

dandiedinmont
15-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks again for your help. Looks like I have some research to do.

Geoffers
15-02-2009, 11:15 PM
If you are new to researching family history in Britain and are not sure of how to go about things, you might try reading this thread (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24425).

It is specifically for research in Norfolk - but the basics can be applied to England and Wales and it includes a very simplified description of civil registration.

If you get stuck, please ask.

dandiedinmont
15-02-2009, 11:58 PM
[QUOTE=Geoffers;251623]The 1851 census
HO107/2445 f36 p17
Granvil Street, Monmouth

The GRO index shows two births for John JACKSONs in Monmouth - unfortunately both in the same quarter and year:

March 1849 - JACKSON, John - Monmouth - Vol 26 Page 93
March 1849 - JACKSON, John - Monmouth - Vol 26 Page 98

Hi,

I checked both scans and they are a duplicate, one transcriber reads it as page 93 and one as page 98, looking at the scans it is impossible to determine the correct page number. I will have to go the LDS route and request copies of the baptism information.

Regards,

Geoffers
16-02-2009, 12:13 AM
Fair enough - however, as mentioned there is the facility for the GRO to check details and only issue a certificate if it matches the information provided. If you have applied for the wrong one, you get some money back.

dandiedinmont
17-02-2009, 7:54 PM
I have the Jacksons also in 1851, still living in Monmouth: HO107/ 2445 f 361 p 17, and following page. Here it says Henry was born in Monmouth, and this emunerator differentiates between Monmouth town and Monmouthshire. So Newport could well be a red herring. I can't find a civil registration match for Henry on FreeBMD in either Monmouthshire or Herefordshire.

Mike John runs a very useful Monmouthshire website and discussion forum at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/monfh. Joining is free but you have to apply.

John

Thank you so much for directing me to this site, Mike has already provided me with John Tranter Jackson & Mary Howells marriage date 11/11/1832 by banns, St. Mary's Monmouth and witnesses, also Mary's last name.

He has also provided info on a John Jackson baptized in Monmouth 25/12/1804, son of Joseph & Catherine Jackson, I'm not sure if this is the correct John because the date is off quite a bit.