PDA

View Full Version : Bromsgrove Workhouse

Brock
14-02-2009, 10:36 AM
My ancestor, George Dallow, is known to have been a member of the committee for the board of guardians of the Bromsgrove workhouse.
He is known to have carried out his workhouse duties in the later years of his life -- he died in Catshill, near Bromsgrove in 1930.
Does anyone have any records between about 1915 - 1930 for the workhouse which may help me to identify the time period that he actually was involved with the Bromsgrove workhouse please?
Any help would be most appreciated.
Thank you.

Jan1954
14-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Apparently, few records survive but, according to workhouses.org.uk Worcester Records Office have the Guardians' minute books from 1836 to 1930, so you may be lucky.

Brock
15-02-2009, 8:17 AM
That's great news, I shall check that out.
Thank you very much.
Brock.

Peter Goodey
15-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Don't forget that the workhouse site only skims the surface. Check the CRO catalogue, or ask staff to advise you. The sort of records you want may be catalogued under something like "Clerk to the Guardians".

Records with a good survival rate tend to be those involving money and the Great and the Good. This may be good news for you.

As Jan recommended, he should be in the minutes.

Have a look also at class MH at the National Archives although that's usually better for staff rather than members of the board.

Brock
16-02-2009, 6:46 PM
Thank you so much for your advice, you are obviously far more experienced at this than I am!
Your help is much appreciated.
Brock.