PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled William Baker

kcapes
13-02-2009, 2:41 PM
Hello everyone
I have just been searching using the street search on a certain site and found my Baker family. And was surprised by William's occupation, it's not what I had him down as I've checked the census page for 1861 but the writing is quite bad, I cant find him in 1851 a year before he married but have him 71,81,91,01 he died July 1901.
William Baker 1825 ? Winchester Hants married Margaret Ann Milton 8/11/1852 Folkestone Kent which is where they stayed.
On the 61 there are two children Martha and Sarah.
Would be grateful if someone could let me know what they think.
Kim:confused:

MarkJ
13-02-2009, 3:56 PM
Do you have the census reference to make it easier to find him Kim?

Mark

Mutley
13-02-2009, 3:59 PM
It looks like
Engine C. P. Maker
written above is No Sh?t?ll occupation

RG9; Piece: 551; Folio: 14; Page: 22

Joanna Bastyan
13-02-2009, 4:12 PM
On 1871 it quite clearly says Pipe Maker.

I see what you mean about 1861 it says something like

No ? Occupation
? C P Maker (or Mariner maybe)

As all the other people in the vicinity seem to be either fishmongers or mariners.

I keep looking at it maybne something will spring to mind.

Mutley
13-02-2009, 4:30 PM
On 1871 it quite clearly says Pipe Maker.

It could be that he made pipes but not the type used for tobacco.:)

Then in 1861 he could be an Engine Copper Pipe Maker, especially if it was a marine engine. That could also tie in with the Folkestone area.

P.S. I would have thought it would be a steam engine.

Red Kite
13-02-2009, 4:30 PM
No idea what Engine C.P. stands for, but I wouldn't necessarily see "pipe maker" as being inconsistent with a maker of engine components. It might mean pipe as in tube. What's his occupation in the later censuses?

Looks like the census office chap couldn't figure out what it meant either!

kcapes
13-02-2009, 4:39 PM
Hello again
Mark the ref is
RG9 PIECE 551 FOLIO 14 PAGE 22
Joanna and Mutley
I can't make out the first word, your right it's ? C.P could the last word be maker. Then above it say's no ? ?
On other census he is Pipe Maker General Lab and Coal Dealer, on the street search for 1861 census the words we can't read according to them say's surgeon. where did they get that from.
Kim |laugh1|

Peter Goodey
13-02-2009, 4:50 PM
Where does "surgeon" come into the picture?

In 1861 his occupation appears to be "Engine CP Maker" or even "Engineer CP Maker".

Scribbled above is what looks like "No statable occupation". In other words the census staff didn't know what was meant by the occupation.

kcapes
13-02-2009, 5:17 PM
Hello Peter
I can street search on one site and William in 1861 has the occupation as Surgeon, I wanted others to check because the writing is bad. The transcriber obviously could'nt read it either.
Kim

Mutley
13-02-2009, 5:29 PM
Hello again
Mark the ref is
RG9 PIECE 551 FOLIO 14 PAGE 22
Joanna and Mutley
I can't make out the first word, your right it's ? C.P could the last word be maker. Then above it say's no ? ?
On other census he is Pipe Maker General Lab and Coal Dealer, on the street search for 1861 census the words we can't read according to them say's surgeon. where did they get that from.
Kim |laugh1|

Did you spot my post 5, just above yours. We posted at exactly the same time.

What street are you searching in because in the 1861 census it does not mention Surgeon?

kcapes
14-02-2009, 2:04 AM
Hello Mutley
Sorry for the delay just come in from work, on one of my sites I can search by address and the transcriber has put his occupation as surgeon which why I was confused.
Kim

Verna
28-06-2013, 12:45 AM
Is anyone still working on this thread? William Baker and Margaret Ann Milton of Folkestone, Kent 1861?

christanel
28-06-2013, 10:44 PM
Hi Verna and welcome to Brit-Gen

kcapes is still active on the site so you could try sending them a private message (pm). Just click on their name and in the menu choose private message.

If you are wanting to find out information about the people named in the post you could post your question and we can see what our helpful members can find. :yes:

Christanel

p1pangy
10-11-2013, 7:06 PM
"kcapes is still active on the site so you could try sending them a private message (pm). Just click on their name and in the menu choose private message."

Just found this elderly thread. WB's occupation is' Virginia CP maker' - he was a tobacco pipe maker until at least 1871 - came from a family of TPMs.