PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Edward Tegg - Chatham Street

Katkins
12-02-2009, 10:01 PM
My grandfather in 1901 was 4 years old and lived at 64 Chatham Street Reading Berks. He died in 1940 on the HMS Grenville. Can anyone help me to locate photos, old maps or any written historical facts about him or where he lived at that time. I am trying to put together an editorial of his life and have run short of pictures especially of the area he lived in. |help|

It would be much appreciated

Geoffers
12-02-2009, 11:06 PM
You can purchase old maps from The Parish Chest (http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=listlinkeditems&cat=D7347&supplier=&breadcrumb=Maps+and+Atlases%3ABerkshire:Maps+of+Be rkshire+listed+by+Product)
There is one listed for Reading 1919

For photos - try using a search engine for 'Francis Frith'

or try the County Record Office who may have a photograph collection.

Katkins
13-02-2009, 7:14 AM
Thanks Geoffers for the info. Do you know if they also do street maps or would I have to go to the local libary in Reading for them?

Peter Goodey
13-02-2009, 8:09 AM
Chatham Street still exists. You can find it on any modern map eg

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=chatham+street+reading&countryCode=GB#map=51.45607,-0.9824|20|256&be=22123252|North&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:51.45607:-0.98282:17|chatham%20street%20reading|Chatham%20St reet%20(A329),%20Reading,%20Berkshire,%20England,% 20RG1%207

You'll be wanting contemporary large scale maps where you can pick out the house. The County Record Office in Reading (not the library) will probably be able to help there as well.

Don't forget to read "Planning a Visit" on the Berks CRO website before setting off.

marmaduke123
13-02-2009, 2:32 PM
Reading Libraries has an extensive photo archive online. Worth checking out.

http://readingimages.epixtech.co.uk/extra/test3.html

Peter Goodey
13-02-2009, 5:17 PM
Reading Libraries has an extensive photo archive online.

Thanks for mentioning that. I used to live in Reading and the Chatham Street section reminded me that there was once a time when I was not unfamiliar with the interior of The Butler |5cups|

mikejee
13-02-2009, 6:01 PM
The Butler is still there amazingly (considering how few real pubs remain). On the library website there are also a set of reading directories which you can download (though I think the server of the library must be called the SNAIL by the speed of its downloads) The latest is 1888, when no 64 Chatham st was occupied by H.J.Round & Cave , upholsterers and Mrs Round, midwife. So i suspect he was possibly born at the midwife's
mike

Katkins
14-02-2009, 2:20 PM
For photos - try using a search engine for 'Francis Frith'

Geoffers that was a great site. I have managed to get a nice lot of photos of the area at his time of life. It certainly was very interesting to see the changes.

My editorial for him will be great once I have put more to it. Gathering some really interesting items now. Puts a whole new perspective on the persons life too.
I never knew my grandfather so finding things out about him is great.

More still to do on his life at sea with HMS Grenville during World War 2. I have been on a couple of sites but can not find any history to do with her movements at that time. I know she went down in the Thames Estury when a mine hit her and I think she was on a return mission of something but what it was I can not find details of.

Can you suggest any other sites I can visit.

I am still quite a novice at this sort of thing and it is mostly done on guess work. Feel a bit daft compared to all the knowledge that is on this forum. |oopsredfa

Katkins
14-02-2009, 2:26 PM
Reading Libraries has an extensive photo archive online. Worth checking out.

http://readingimages.epixtech.co.uk/extra/test3.html

Marmaduke123 this was great. I now have added this site to my list for researching tools.

If he was born at a midwifes house could that mean that he lived there too? or his mother have just stayed there for a while to have the baby. How could I find that out?

Katkins
14-02-2009, 2:31 PM
The Butler is still there amazingly (considering how few real pubs remain). On the library website there are also a set of reading directories which you can download (though I think the server of the library must be called the SNAIL by the speed of its downloads) The latest is 1888, when no 64 Chatham st was occupied by H.J.Round & Cave , upholsterers and Mrs Round, midwife. So i suspect he was possibly born at the midwife's
mike

Mikejee Thanks for that info. as mentioned I wonder how that worked? His birth cert stated he was born there. Could his parents have lived somewhere else before that?

Katkins
14-02-2009, 2:35 PM
Thanks for mentioning that. I used to live in Reading and the Chatham Street section reminded me that there was once a time when I was not unfamiliar with the interior of The Butler |5cups|

Peter was that the pub opposit the central swimming pool that is now closed? If so the last time I saw that area the pub was all boarded up. Not so long ago either.

marmaduke123
14-02-2009, 4:14 PM
Glad you enjoyed the Reading Libraries site. Katkins, I think the pub you mean is the Alfred's Head. Last time I looked Butlers (or The Butler as they call it now) was still there.

Butlers was a wine and spirit merchants with a strange licence for the pub which meant they couldn't open on Sundays. They used to sell a memorable concoction known as Mountain wine in the 60s.

Peter Goodey
14-02-2009, 4:59 PM
If this is what it still looks like

http://img01.beerintheevening.com/9d/9d5bbfee4ba94871dba516d4fa2c3019.jpg

then it hasn't changed much in... er umm I don't think I'll go into just how many years :o