PDA

View Full Version : 15/7/1843Starvation,Rickergate,Hannah Rome

freddie999
12-02-2009, 9:42 AM
In my search for information on Rickergate, I came upon this, and wondered if it could be of interest to you guys out there. A very sad story.

On Tuesday evening last, an inquest was held at *Mr. Smith's*, Fox and
Hounds, Rickergate, before *W. Carrick, Esq*., coroner, and a respectable
jury, on view of the body *of Hannah Rome *, who had died the same morning
unseen. It appeared that the deceased had been living, for some time, in
the most destitute circumstances; and but for the goodness of many kind
neighbours must have perished long ago, from absolute want. The garret in
which she lived was in the most wretched condition; it contained no
furniture, and scarcely a bed to lie down upon - in short, as one of the
jury observed, "a dog could scarcely have existed in such a place."
The following evidence was given before the coroner's jury: -
*Harriet Mercham *- I knew the deceased. She was in a very sick and weakly
state, and was suffering great destitution. I cannot say what the deceased
had to eat on Saturday. I can't say whether she had anything or not. I
don't know whether there was anything in the house or not. She has been
very weak for the last three months. She told me she was so weak she could
not walk about. I never heard her say she was offered to be taken into the
workhouse *. Dr. Hodgson *saw her yesterday; I was in the house when he was
there; he said it was nothing but hunger that ailed her. He thought she
wanted no medicine, but should be removed to the workhouse. He said it was
want that had brought her to this.

The story continues on this web address:

http://www.cultrans.com/15-july-1843/15-july-1843-starvation-in-rickergate.html

michaelpipe
12-02-2009, 10:24 AM
There are a lot of sad stories in the past - and some of them self inflicted:

East Suffolk Gazette 16 Jan 1917

DEATH OF SUSANNAH PIPE aged 47 at her house in 11 St George’s Road. There was no bed, only a few rags in her bedroom, with a coverlet too small to cover her: so she must have suffered much from the cold. She was a grand-daughter of late James Mullett, master tailor, and member of the town Council On the death of her mother she succeeded to a lie interest in her grandfather’s estate. She owned her own house and the neighbouring house. William Chatters, engine driver at the Castle Mills had lived next door to her for 4 years.
Unfortunately she gave way to intemperate habits, and her husband (Royal Pipe - mcmp) separated from her. She got rid of practically all her furniture to satisfy her craving for drink. She was seen picking up pieces of paper and sticks in the streets to get a little warmth in the cold weather. She seemed very ill of late, and lack of nourishment and exposure contributed to her death.

freddie999
12-02-2009, 7:02 PM
The story of Hannah Rome's death through starvation I discovered as part of my search for some background on Rickergate, wheremost of my ancesters seem to have reside. I went through a long list, which Google generated, but discovered nothing. I was looking for a description of the place and the people. After a long time searching, I came up with nothing, is there anyone out there who can point me to a site,or a book which I could order? I dont want to just go fora ' history of Carlisle', as this will concentrate on the castle, etc.

Thanks

Astoria
12-02-2009, 7:06 PM
I have relatives who lived on Rickergate, and as yet I have not explored this branch, was it a street or an area?

AudreyM
13-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Hi All,

Rickergate is an area.

Regards
AudreyM nee Miskelly
In Cumbria

bob graham
14-02-2009, 2:38 PM
If you go to w3.cumberland-news.co.uk and look for the 2005/6 floods, there are plenty of pictures of rickergate. it will have changed since the time you're interested in as the police and fire stations are now there (police station empty since the floods), new magistrate courts (the urinals) built maybe 10 years ago, and the civic centre carbuncle built in the 60's. In fact a very recent plan to demolish the whole area has just been shelved.
bob