PDA

View Full Version : MITCHELL ANCESTRY

snowflake
11-02-2009, 9:46 PM
Has any body have rommany/gypsey connections to the Mitchell family in London, Middlesex and Suffolk.
Snowflake.

Angelica
17-02-2009, 9:35 PM
I have heard stories in my family of us being related to Romany Gypsies, a Queenie Mitchell, but unfortunately my Nana died before she could tell me more.
A Little about my family history, as your Henry James Mitchell maybe the connection I have been looking for, for over 20 years. (do you think he may have had a brother named Robert possibly born around 1781?
Robert's Son Henry 1815
Henry's son Albert Henry 1843
Albert's Son my great grandfather
my Great Grandfather was also born within the sound of Bow Bells, his name was Alfred James Mitchell, born 1871 Aldersgate St, Cripplegate, Middlesex
(His father moved from Birmingham to London, four of the siblings including Alfred were all born at the same address, possibly a family home, then the family returned to Birmingham)(mar) Emma James. born 1880 Staffordshire, unfortunately I do not know when they got married, but their first child was born in 1892. I am baffled by the ages!!!
Alfred's occupation was a Jeweller. Many members of the family from four generations were always to and fro from London (in the Cripplegate, Finsbury, Clerkenwell, Holborn Areas, to Birmingham.
May there be any connection between our families?|banghead|

susan-y
18-02-2009, 2:46 AM
I have Mitchell's from Buckinghamshire..Eliza Mitchell c1867 was my grandmother's stepmother.

Sue

snowflake
20-02-2009, 12:45 AM
Angelica it would be great if we found the connections in our familys but my Great Grandfather Henry James Mitchell was born about 1885, there is a P. Michell on my Grandmothers marriage certificate. Did you get your information from the 1841-1901 census.
snowflake.

Susan-y Please do you have any more information you could possilble tell me.
Snowflake.

Angelica
21-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Hi Snowflake

I got my information from a number of sources,
Birmingham City Library
Census 1841-1901
Family and Relatives.

If you have a little more info on your Henry I maybe able to look him up for you
Do you know what his occupation was?
Best Wishes
Angelica

susan-y
22-02-2009, 2:14 AM
Susan-y Please do you have any more information you could possilble tell me.
Snowflake.

Hi Snowflake..
Sorry I missed this the other day... probably 'cause I saw the word "snowflake" and turned my eyes the other way.:D

I'm afraid I can't tell your much about Eliza Jane Mitchell. This is what I do know. She was born in Cheddington, Buckinghamshire in 1867 to John and Susan Mitchell. On Aug.12, 1900 she married Alfred Henson ( my g.grandfather) in St. Cuthbert's Church. Hampstead. Alfred's first wife had died from diptheria in 1893. Dec.31, 1904 they had a son, Alfred Frederick, {Alfred must have liked his name as his first son, born 1880 was Alfred Henry and still alive at this time( I think)}. Alfred Frederick only lived a few months..... died 2nd quarter of 1905. I have found a death for Eliza Jane in 1912, but no other information. I haven't searched for alot of information on her as she wasn't a direct relation and I was a little bitter..... apparantly when my gr. grandfather married her he told my grandmother to get out as he now had a new wife to look after the house.|oopsredfa Grandma was looking after a younger sister. After Eliza Jane's death Alfred also emigrated to Canada to join his 2 daughters who were both in Vancouver.

Sue

snowflake
22-02-2009, 7:47 PM
Hi Angelica,
On my Grandmothers Rose Mitchell marriage certificate Henry was a painter and I only know what my Mum can remember what was said about the Mitchell family when she was little but unfortunately that was very little.
Regards Snowflake.

snowflake
22-02-2009, 8:02 PM
Hi Sue,
It`s sad what your Grt.Grandfather did to your Grandmother I personly think family are everything. I shall look up Eliza`s family in the census records just in case there is a connection ( I`m looking any where I can ).
Regards Snowflake.

Angelica
23-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Hi Susan

My 2nd great grandfather was an Albert Mitchell and he was married to a Hannah "Hanson" they were married in Handsworth Birmingham on the 18th July 1863, even though Albert was born in Birmingham and Hannah was born in Oldbury Staffordshire, the family were always going to London, as I believe there were family living there. Albert's full name is Albert Henry Mitchell, his father was also named Henry Mitchell, who had a sister named Ann Eliza.

I am wondering if the names Hanson, Henson are mis-spellings!!!|help|
BW
Leigh

Angelica
23-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Hi Snowflake

Thank You for the info, There are so many Mitchell's, but to find your own is not easy, is it?
I have searched here, there, and everywhere, it is as though half the family did not really exist, I will continue to look, where ever I can, it is the London connection that I am missing. :confused:

To Susan,
It is awful what your great grandfather did to your mother. Families can be so cruel..
Best Wishes to you both
Leigh

susan-y
23-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Hi Susan

My 2nd great grandfather was an Albert Mitchell and he was married to a Hannah "Hanson" they were married in Handsworth Birmingham on the 18th July 1863, even though Albert was born in Birmingham and Hannah was born in Oldbury Staffordshire, the family were always going to London, as I believe there were family living there. Albert's full name is Albert Henry Mitchell, his father was also named Henry Mitchell, who had a sister named Ann Eliza.

I am wondering if the names Hanson, Henson are mis-spellings!!!|help|
BW
Leigh

Hi Angelica....

There are also hundreds upon hundreds of Hensons, including some Hannah, The ones in my family were mainly from Huntingdonshire so I don't think Eliza and Alfred met there.:) I'll do a little more searching........ It's bad enough with common last names, but when they have to use the same first names for everyone..|scold|
( It was my grandmother who got told to move out when her father got the new wife...not mother!) Anyway, IF that had never happened she may never have gone to Canada,,etc, etc, etc....... They obviously settled their differences somewhat as Alfred did move to Vancouver and my Mom could remember him from when she was a girl.

Sue