PDA

View Full Version : THOMAS SELF - 1861 census

FredP
14-02-2005, 11:07 AM
THOMAS SELF, innkeeper, son of BENJAMIN SELF, innkeeper, from REDBRIDGE, married my grandmother's sister MARY ANN TANNER at RINGWOOD (her home) on 24th March 1855.
The only SELF at REDBRIDGE in White's 1859 directory is SARAH at the Anchor P H who may be BENJAMIN's widow.
In the same directory a THOMAS SELF is listed as landlord of the Swan Hotel, WYMERING, which I gather is the western part of COSHAM.
I should be grateful if SKS could look up this address in the 1861 census and let me know if THOMAS SELF is still there, and who else lived on the premises at that time. From this I may be able to decide whether it is the same person.
He cannot have been around for very long as by the time MARY ANN made her third marriage in 1878 she had acquired the name the Swan Hotel, WYMERING, which I gather is the western part of COSHAM.
I should be grateful if SKS could look up this address in the 1861 census and let me know if THOMAS SELF is still there, and who else lived on the premises at that time. From this I may be able to decide whether it is the same person.
He cannot have been around for very long as by the time MARY ANN made her third marriage in 1878 she had acquired the name MILLS and was mother or step-mother to one or maybe two daughters.
Any information will be most welcome.
Thanks, FredP.

Steve Steere
22-03-2005, 11:48 PM
Hi FredP,

Unfortunately your bird has flown!

ACDB 1861 Hampshire (http://www.parishchest.com/en-gb/dept_2406.html) has: RG 9, Piece 650, folio 39b, Hamlet/Village of Cosham in the parish of Wymering, Swan Inn: James ROGERS, h,m,53, inn keeper, Newport, Hants. Martha, w,m,50, inn keepers wife, Chichester, Sussex. Followed by two children, a grandson, lodger, & 3 servants, and no Self or Mary Ann.

Regards,

Steve

FredP
23-03-2005, 9:03 PM
Thanks Steve,

I have an idea he may have died by then. I have a lead to a 2nd marriage of MARYANN to WILLIAM MILLS, but there seem to be some mistakes in the recording or transcribing.

However it was as MARY ANN MILLS, widow, that she made her 3rd marriage in 1878!

Fred.

Steve Steere
24-03-2005, 9:33 AM
Hi FredP,

The Hampshire Genealogical Society do have an unpublished Marriage Index for the county, excluding the Isle of Wight, which they do not plan to publish possibly for piracy fears?

If you look at their web site they offer a look up service for a couple of pounds, you email first with the query. It could find your missing marriage.

Regards,

Steve