View Full Version : insert photo help

Carrie Meerten
14-02-2005, 11:00 AM
|help|

how do you insert photos into these posts

Geoffers
14-02-2005, 1:23 PM
[how do you insert photos into these posts]

When you create a new thread or reply to a message - and before you click on submit reply, or whatever, scroll down to 'Additional options' and click on 'manage attachments', then 'browse' to locate the photo.

Geoffers

Carrie Meerten
15-02-2005, 2:28 AM

When you create a new thread or reply to a message - and before you click on submit reply, or whatever, scroll down to 'Additional options' and click on 'manage attachments', then 'browse' to locate the photo.

Geoffers
i tried that but kept telling me that my photo was larger thatn the allowed 195.3kb, when in fact it was only 123kb.

i have seen photos used as links, how do you do this??

Rod Neep
15-02-2005, 11:52 AM
One of the great advantages of the forum system is that it is possible to put photos of ancestors here, or parts of a certificate for example, to let others help with handwriting.

http://www.british-genealogy.com/graphics/p1-ph2.jpg

AnnB
15-02-2005, 2:32 PM
Dare I ask who this handsome trio are ;) I have often wondered as I see them at the top of the page every time I check the forum....

Best wishes
Ann

Rod Neep
15-02-2005, 3:10 PM
On the left is my great grandfather William Neep, who died in 1920. Then Emily (Cadman) his wife. Its funny, I always imagined an "Emily" as being a tiny quaint and prim old lady.... until this photo turned up. The young man on the right is my grandfather Bernard Neep, a lot younger than his costume makes him look, as he was born in 1898.

Bernard is also the young man in the next photo at the page header, with his wife Lily, and my father Kenneth and his brother Barrie as a very young children. On holiday in the 1920s. Now its guess the place :D

Fulhamster
15-02-2005, 5:04 PM
Hiya!
"Now its guess the place "

Is it Weston Super Mare?

AnnB
15-02-2005, 7:19 PM
For a moment there, I thought you meant guess where the doorway was where they were standing, but I soon realised you meant where were they on holiday..... |blush| I haven't really got a clue, but could it be Brighton :confused:

Best wishes
Ann

Rod Neep
15-02-2005, 8:30 PM
OK... let's give you a (slightly) better chance with a larger version of the photo.

http://rod-neep.co.uk/rod/fhist/bblk.jpg

AnnB
16-02-2005, 8:22 AM
Gee, thanks! OK, so they all seem to be carrying walking sticks and a couple of the gents have a natty line in trousers, so are they somewhere where a lot of walking is required, like somewhere in the Lake District? Have tried to read the sign outside the shop, but I think all it gives is a list of goods like tomatoes.....! (never did like guessing games :( )

Best wishes (I think)
Ann

Rod Neep
16-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Naaahh..... grandfather is wearing old fashioned Dunlop plimsolls (B J Goodrich sandals to the Americans). Great beach shoes. OK a clue.... if you lived in Nottingham then where did you go to the nearest place for a seaside holiday?

AnnB
16-02-2005, 1:12 PM
This is turning into a geography lesson! Seeing as I know nothing of that part of the country (despite having a cousin who lives in Nottinghamshire) I am guessing at Skegness, Mablethorpe or Cleethorpes. Now, if it had been Devon.... ;)

Best wishes
Ann

Geoffers
16-02-2005, 3:41 PM
if you lived in Nottingham then where did you go to the nearest place for a seaside holiday?
That's got to be Skeggy

Geoffers

Rod Neep
16-02-2005, 6:19 PM
Go to the top of the class Geoffers :D

AnnB
16-02-2005, 7:26 PM
Well, I did get there in the end......

Best wishes
Ann

Pam Downes
17-02-2005, 1:56 AM
OK a clue.... if you lived in Nottingham then where did you go to the nearest place for a seaside holiday?

The clue should have been 'when you go on holiday in the UK, where do you need to wear your coats and pullover?' :D
Though in fairness to Skeggy I have to say that I have walked along the seafront at 10 o'clock at night minus coat and woolly.

Pam Downes

debsy
21-10-2007, 8:50 AM

Geoffers

I don't seem to have 'manage attachments' under 'additional options'. Has this been changed now?
Deb

Neil Wilson
21-10-2007, 9:01 AM
Deb
I agree with you, it used to be there, I have inserted photos myself in the past. Perhaps it was omitted on the last upgrade? I wonder if Bo Peep can find the answer?

Neil Wilson
21-10-2007, 9:49 AM
Don't know, all I am getting is Exceeds your quota by 38.0 KB. Now does previous images count towards this? Wouldn't mind, but the image was only 99mb in size.

MarkJ
21-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Personally, I would think it is easier to use a site such as photobucket or similar to put the pictures on and then link to them - if photos are added to posts on the forum, they mean a lot more time to display the thread and presumably more load on the server etc- not all B-G users have broadband and they may find large images take a very long time to load, thus spoiling their enjoyment of the site.
That has been the way most people show their images of hard to read census entries or uniform identifications etc - and to me it seems the most logical. But others may prefer to have the pictures in the thread I suppose.

Mark

Mary Young
21-10-2007, 10:17 AM
|help|how do you insert photos into these posts
This is what I do:
(1) register at www.photobucket.com (it's free).
(2) upload your photo to the site.
(3) once it's uploaded, you'll see 4 little boxes underneath.
(4) click in the bottom box (which auto-copies the link into your clipboard)
(5) paste (Ctrl+v) into your forum posting.
Voila!

debsy
21-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Hi Bo Peep, yes it did 'fix' it but I was having the same problem with exceeding size limit even though it was about 18kb. So I have subscribed to Photobucket as suggested using Mary's instructions and the photos are now in the 'Photos' thread.

Ladkyis
21-10-2007, 12:54 PM
As I recall Rod didn't let the software add a picture to the thread only a link so that when you looked it loaded really quick but it wasn't cluttering up the server

busyglen
21-10-2007, 1:39 PM
As I recall Rod didn't let the software add a picture to the thread only a link so that when you looked it loaded really quick but it wasn't cluttering up the server

That's right.....because of the server problem we could only use a link, either a personal website, or photobucket, which we mostly used. If I tried to insert it into the forum page before, I couldn't seem to downsize it, so I always used photobucket.

Glenys

Mary Young
21-10-2007, 5:30 PM
That's right.....because of the server problem we could only use a link ... so I always used photobucket.
Glenys
And I'm still using photobucket ... I must have been elsewhere when the Forum started allowing attachments. :)

busyglen
21-10-2007, 5:42 PM
Me also Mary....I didn't realise that we could do so either. I had noticed the increase in photos in posts though, but the penny didn't drop!

Glenys

Neil Wilson
21-10-2007, 5:49 PM
Apparently there was a limit to the size of the image, some of which is taken up by the picture you insert of yourself. Accordingly, if you try to insert another image, you will have exceeded your limit.
Otherwise, Bo Peep's server will be overloaded with all our images and there wouldn't be room for the posts and we don't want that, do we?

I have followed Mary's instructions for PhotoBucket and to test it (or is it to prove that I can do it, here is one of me and my grand-dad.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee64/neilfwilson/SamuelBaconandMe.jpg

Mary Young
21-10-2007, 6:10 PM
Neil, that must be a treasured picture. I have one of me and gr-grandad.
I used the 2nd line in photobucket, e.g. "Direct Link"
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/scottishagate/grgranddad_and_mary.jpg

Neil Wilson
21-10-2007, 7:59 PM
Neil, that must be a treasured picture. I have one of me and gr-grandad.
I used the 2nd line in photobucket, e.g. "Direct Link"
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/scottishagate/grgranddad_and_mary.jpg
Cheers for that, funny thing is I couldn't find the photo on the PC and had to download it from one of my web sites to upload it to PhotoBucket. Thinking about it, I could have just put in a link or img it from the site.

Mutley
22-10-2007, 1:03 AM
I think I can claim the silly pic title
but they are all from photobucket whether mine or theirs.

It's fab....... but only allowed in the threads that are

|needpics|

busyglen
22-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Aah bless! That is so lovely! :)

Glenys