PDA

View Full Version : Rhoda Smith

smileyface47168
09-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Hello, new here, am researching my gt gt grandmother Rhoda Smith born about 1847 ish, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire, whichever census you may believe.
She married Theophilus Scarrott in 1862 Staines, a James and Caroline Smith were witnesses, and Rhodas father was down as William Smith occupation brazier. Rhoda had a few children with Theophilus, Counceletta Scarrott born 1863 and William Scarrott 1865. William in 1881 census is with a Johnny and Kesiah Smith at Stoke Hammond on the Green Bucks, they are both from Oxfordshire, so may have some connection to Rhoda. Rhoda in the 1881 census is now with Valentine Brinkley and has 3 sons by him, Valentine, James and Edward. Rhodas daughter Counsey marries Valentines nephew Walter Brinkley. By the 1891 census Rhoda is again a Smith and is with Christopher Smith, uncle of the evangalist Rodney Smith, and her two Brinkley sons James and Edward are now Smiths (but later revert back to Brinkley-Edward marries Priscilla Penfold and has lots of children living in the Barnet area) Christopher or one of his brothers (not sure which off the top of my head) has a daughter Rhoda, born before Rhoda was with Christopher, so I am not sure if Rhoda was related to Christopher before they got together.
I have Smith cousins (through my mothers sisters marrying Smith/Gray cousins) and these cousins have always said they are related to the evangalist Rodney, so not sure whether it was through Rodney himself or because of Rhoda being their 2x gt grandmother. Rhoda died in 1912 in a caravan in Folly Meadows Walthamstow and her body was taken to Brettenham Road Edmonton(where one of Christopher Smiths sons also lived, and some of my Brinkleys)
Any help with Rhodas birth/bapt connections would be most appreciated...she has been a thorn in my side for almost 40 years! thanks, betty

trudy4656
09-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Hi Betty

There are two births on FreeBMD that might be your Rhoda

1. Births Sep Qtr 1846

Smith Rhoda Atherstone 16 234

2. Births Dec Qtr 1848

SMITH Rhoda Rugby 16 462

You might have to send for copies of both to make sure you have the right one.

Trudy

JoanneM
09-02-2009, 11:44 AM
2. Births Dec Qtr 1848

SMITH Rhoda Rugby 16 462

You might have to send for copies of both to make sure you have the right one.

Trudy

That one could possibly correspond to a baptism on the freereg website at Newbold on Avon, Warwickshire, 24th Dec 1848 for a Rhoda daughter of Sidney and Sarah Smith, publican.

Jo.

smileyface47168
09-02-2009, 2:49 PM
Thanks, I have followed i think every Rhoda Smith who has been registered through the census to discount them (been looking for Rhoda for most of my adult life and im 55 now!)
I think my only hope is tracing Rhodas son Edward Brinkleys descendents in the hope someone might know of her parentage. Just thought it was worth posting a message here just in case. My mothers eldest sister was the only one to have known Rhoda and she was only a little girl when Rhoda died. My aunt knew Rhodas childrens names but didnt even know Rhodas first husband whom we are descended from.
Thanks very much,
betty :)