PDA

View Full Version : Annie Barnes /Smith Fulham Workhouse

valcox21
13-02-2005, 7:15 PM
I am trying to find information on Annie for her son now 82 years old. He was put into care at birth and has never known his family history and would love to find out if he has any living relatives. Annie's last know address was at Langford Road Fulham where she was in service. There was no fathers name on his birth certificate and we don't know the christian name of her husband. does anyone have any information which could help me track her down? Thanks Val

Trish
14-02-2005, 5:25 AM
I am trying to find information on Annie for her son now 82 years old...Val,

If Annie's son is now 82, that means he was born in 1923 or 1924. Annie was most likely in her late teens or twenties when he was born. So she would have been born around the turn of the century -- the 1890s or early 1900s. You mention a husband -- do you know for sure that Annie was married at the time of her son's birth? Was BARNES her maiden name or married name?

Just on the possibility that BARNES was Annie's maiden name, I quickly scanned the 1901 census [you can view it online at www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk].

In 1901 there's a 5-month Annie BARNES in Fulham with her family living at [handwriting is difficult to read, but looks like...] 7 Haglebury [or Huglebury or...?] Rd, Fulham, London. Details as follows:

Name / Age in 1891 / Birthplace / Relationship to head / Civil parish / Occupation
Barnes, Frederick W 24 Fulham, London Head Fulham London Carpenter's Labourer
Barnes, Alice 24 Chelsea, London Wife Fulham London
Barnes, Alice 1 Fulham, London Daughter Fulham London
Barnes, Annie 5/12 Fulham, London Daughter Fulham London
Barnes, Frederick M 58 N.R. Father [Widower] Fulham London Engine Driver Gasworks

Source information: RG12/52
Registration district: Fulham
Sub registration district: Fulham
ED, institution, or vessel: 45
Folio: 125
Page: 1

Do you know the time frame for Annie's last known whereabouts [Langford Road]?

I'm sorry I can't be much help to you. Hopefully someone reading your message can give you some good advice on how to track this family down. I wish you success in finding them. What a gift that would be for Annie's son.

Trish

valcox21
28-03-2005, 5:28 PM
Thanks for your message Trish. I have had a lot of luck and not only found Annie and her Husband, but 4 other children and a living cousin. Absolutely amazing.
I am now trying to find out what happened to her after 1926 when he died. Maybe re-married and had more children, who knows? I'll keep plodding.
Val