PDA

View Full Version : What is the meaning of RSD

Ed Bradford
07-02-2009, 2:36 AM
On a death certificate for the registration district of Ware in the County of Hertford contined in the "when and where died" column is the folowing:

Twenty Third
July
Wareside
RSD

The meaning of the RSD is what I don't understand. By the way the R and D I'm sure about but the S is slender and questionable. I thought it could be something like "Rural ? Delivery" or perhaps the initials of someone. The certifying Doctor is H. May M.D., the informant is M. Sheppard and the Registrar is George Price. So they can be excluded.

Anyone out there have a clue as to what RSD means?

...................Ed

Alexandrina
07-02-2009, 2:42 AM
Rural Sanitary District

Dull, but true

Lexy

Ed Bradford
07-02-2009, 2:54 AM
Now that makes sense. A dead body would be a sanitary issue. Thanks much Lexy. .................Ed

Lincoln Lad
07-02-2009, 4:51 AM
Ed, it is nothing to do with the dead body, births are recorded in RSD as well, or maybe USD, Urban Sanitary District.

Pam Downes
07-02-2009, 8:56 AM
Hi Ed,
Don't know if this thread (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24761&highlight=urban+sanitary+district) might help to clarify things.
Pam

p.s. don't worry if you get certain words in red - that was the search engine at work! :)

Peter Goodey
07-02-2009, 9:16 AM
A dead body would be a sanitary issue.

No. Rural and Urban Sanitary Districts were part of the early local government structure. Initially, matters of sanitation were their sole responsibility.

Ed Bradford
07-02-2009, 5:09 PM
Hmmmmm! I get it now. Thanks all for the help. ................Ed