PDA

View Full Version : Workhouse in Swaffield Road Wandsworth

siamesefeline1
07-02-2009, 2:27 AM
Hi. I wonder if anyone can give me some idea of what it was like to live in a workhouse in 1911.I wonder if ANYONE on this site ever actually lived in one as well? My husband's grandmother was in the one in Swaffield Road, Wandsworth, London. His father and two of his sisters were also there. We do not know where the elder (14yrs) sister was at that time. What situation could have put them in there.|help| I DO have an old photograph of my father in law at some sort of school. It looks very swish - not a workhouse school surely - and he looks older than 12 which he was in 1911. However cannot read the name on the Shield of the School or whatever.He signed up for WW1 at age 16 so it must have been between the ages of 12-16. DID they wear smart clothes in a workhouse? Also his mother (my husband's grandmother) had 8 children, two of whom died, before she married in 1917??? Her sister on the other hand, never married and was a Matron at a Hospital. Nothing queer as folk is there? I wondered if anyone had a photo of the Swaffield Road Workhouse? |banghead|My husband grew up in Battersea, about a mile and a half from that area and his father never said a word.They passed it many a time and still not a word. Even found two Aunts he never knew he had. So sad really that people felt the need to keep secrets like that isn't it? We are down in the depths of Cornwall and not that mobile anymore so visiting is a problem. If anyone can help in anyway, I would be grateful. My local Library is a Mobile One and it takes weeks to get a book if you order and even then if it is very current they don't have them.|banghead||banghead| Thanks in advance just in case there is a saviour out there.
SiameseFeline

birdlip
07-02-2009, 8:57 AM
Hi there,

have a look at workhouses.org.uk

Swaffield Rd Wandsworth is there, with photos, and lots of information.

birdlip
07-02-2009, 9:08 AM
Actually, I see there's been two earlier threads on his forum about the same workhouse. If you put Swaffield Rd into the search box, you'll see there's a great deal of very useful information for you.

Peter Goodey
07-02-2009, 9:12 AM
There are several books mentioned on the workhouse website that you could buy or order through the library.

birdlip
07-02-2009, 9:16 AM
I just noticed this is your first post so...welcome!

siamesefeline1
08-02-2009, 1:05 AM
Hi Birdlip and Peter.
Thanks for that info. Will start looking. Funny how there is so much out there IF you know where to look!!!! Someone said you can learn how to make a bomb on the internet but I can't even find a workhouse!!!! Must be my age. Thank you again and if anyone else has any ideas please say so. Also anyone needs help for Cornwall I am the one to ask. Been here 40 years, but originate from Westminster in London. JUST A THOUGHT! MANY PEOPLE SEEM TO BE CONFUSED WHAT IS NOW "WESTMINSTER" AND FORGET THAT UNTIL THE LATE 60'S I THINK IT WAS A VERY SMALL AREA. IT INCORPORATED PADDINGTON AND MARYLEBONE THEN. HOPE THAT MIGHT HELP SOMEONE ANYWAY. Thanks for the Welcome too - great site. I love it.