PDA

View Full Version : Happy ending

Davran
05-02-2009, 4:27 PM
For some time I have been intrigued by the MARLOW family of Twickenham.

My grandmother's aunt, Jane MAYNARD, married Mark Marlow BARTHOLOMEW in 1877. Mark changed his surname to MARLOW at some point and all the children were baptised as MARLOW. Jane sadly died at the age of 40 in 1899 and the family was split up, some living with their aunt and uncle (my ggrandparents), some with the grandparents (1901 census). The father, Mark, was living with his eldest son in Thanet, East Kent.

Over the years I have put out feelers for anyone researching this family, whose existence I only became aware of from an entry in my grandmother's birthday book, but with no luck. I know that there are many sad stories in family history, but I found this story quite poignant and wondered if the family ever got back together again. Despite the entry in the birthday book, my mother had never heard of the Marlows!

Anyway, I searched for them in the 1911 and was delighted to find that Mark had returned to Twickenham, remarried (1903) and fathered 2 more children. Three children from his marriage to Jane were also living with him, the others having left home.

I was so pleased that they were reunited - curiosity satisfied!

Jan1954
05-02-2009, 5:00 PM
Ooh! I love a happy ending! |hug|

Thank you for telling us this - it makes families real.

Jane Gee
05-02-2009, 10:12 PM
I was pleased to see your happy ending the 1911 census also showed that my 2xgt aunt Maria Allengame's nee Gittings husband Thomas Cope Allengame had remarried and had a new family. Maria died in 1873 (having married Thomas in 1872) of perpural fever their first child a boy died at few days afer because it was premature.
I often hoped that Thomas would have found new happiness and the 1911 census proved he had:)

busyglen
06-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Its great to hear of happy endings!

I must admit that I am so busy with another project at the moment, that I haven't had time to look at the 1911, which is a shame as I am sure it will answer a lot of my queries. I did have a quick look at the time of the trial, but that was it.

I've now got to prioritise....do I continue with my project which is sort of genealogy and history put together, or start on the 1911?

So much to do and not enough hours! ;)

Glenys

leonardpiggin
21-02-2009, 2:30 AM
I saw the name Marlow and I thought of my grandmother maiden name Harlow b.1880.She was the youngest of a family of 8 daughters and the mother died about age 43 .All the daughters were put into service,my gran age 16 was told she might as well get married which she did age 18 and had 10 children of her own.What a hard life they had in those days.
Len Piggin