PDA

View Full Version : Boer War 1899-1902 - Amnesty

Flossy
04-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Does anybody know when amnesty was given for people who deserted from the war ?

The "family story" is that gt.grandad deserted from the war (must have been the Boer War) and the family changed their name for a time because he wasn't supposed to be at home. He had at least one daughter who was christened under the 'assumed' name, though was registered under their real name, and a son born 1905 who was always known by the assumed name. At some time they reverted back to their real name, but I can't figure out when this happened.

Apparently there were hundreds of deserters from that particular bloody conflict, that ordinary folks couldn't understand what they were fighting for - so I'm told. I've tried googling for info, but just get details of the conflict.

Does anybody know when amnesty was given - I presume it was after this that they reverted to their real name.

Any leads will be much appreciated, :)

Flossy

Geoffers
05-02-2009, 9:05 AM
You could try a search of TNA's catalogue (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp)
In the word or phrase field just type in Amnesty
Restrict the year range to 1900-1914

See if you get any useful hits.

or you could try a search of OPSI (http://www.opsi.gov.uk/index.htm)

Use the search engine on site.

I suggest keeping searches simple - 'Amnesty' might throw up more hits than 'Amnesty of army deserters in the boer war'.

ordinary folks couldn't understand what they were fighting for

Bear in mind that they were all volunteers. I believe that only one solider was executed for desertion in the Boer War, if it had been a widespread problem I would have expected there to have been more desertions.

Perhaps your ol'bor joined up, thought better of it and did a runner whilst in training?

Flossy
07-02-2009, 1:49 AM
Thanks for the leads Geoffers - I'll give them a try & see what I get. It could end up being a wild goose chase owing to a figment of somebody's imagination - perhaps he was really in prison !! :):)

reevemjr
21-08-2009, 9:36 AM
Flossy
Hope this gives a way forward, I do not know about earlier pardens.

I am looking for a James Bowen who absconded from about 1902-04 after serving in the Boer War and went to Canada.

National Archives - Piece details WO 32/4516
WO Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies
Division within WO General records of the War Office and predecessors and successor
WO 32 War Office and successors: Registered Files (General Serie
WO 32/4515 LEGAL AND JUDICIAL: General (Code 67(A)): Remission of sentences and pardon to deserters on the accession of King George V 1910
WO 32/4516 LEGAL AND JUDICIAL: General (Code 67(A)): Remission of sentences and pardon to deserters on the accession of King George V Decisions in connection with 1911

Regards

Mike Reeve

wardeworld
05-01-2010, 5:45 PM
Hi i Have the same "family story" did you get any where ?????

reevemjr
06-01-2010, 8:59 AM
Flossy

Sorry but I have not found any official or newspaper records of him (James Bowen) absconding. I think I have traced him married and living in Ontario formerly in the Buffs, but still have to confirm his full name, recorded there as (James Edmund Bowen) and get a birth cert to be sure. The NA has not turned up any lists.

Do you know the name your GGFather used? Was it Sayer, or Sole?

Snowed in here, have a happy new year.

Mike

Flossy
06-01-2010, 5:23 PM
Flossy
Hope this gives a way forward, I do not know about earlier pardens.

I am looking for a James Bowen who absconded from about 1902-04 after serving in the Boer War and went to Canada.

National Archives - Piece details WO 32/4516
WO Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies
Division within WO General records of the War Office and predecessors and successor
WO 32 War Office and successors: Registered Files (General Serie
WO 32/4515 LEGAL AND JUDICIAL: General (Code 67(A)): Remission of sentences and pardon to deserters on the accession of King George V 1910
WO 32/4516 LEGAL AND JUDICIAL: General (Code 67(A)): Remission of sentences and pardon to deserters on the accession of King George V Decisions in connection with 1911

Regards

Mike Reeve

Hi Mike,
I've just come back to this thread (because someone else PM'd me) after a long absence; not been on the site much from about last March really till just before Christmas, because of family illness. Anyway, I just wanted to apologise for not responding last August, and to thank you for the info about the TNA sites - I couldn't find my way around to get anything meaningful when I tried early last year. I'll definitely have a go at these to see what comes up.

Cheers, & happy New Year,
Flossy :D