PDA

View Full Version : Whats in a name?

RJO1
04-02-2009, 12:45 PM
On my second great grandfathers birth certificate (b.1879) he is identified as Vincent Dixon, father unknown, mother Lucy Hufton. I assume that this would make him Vincent Hufton with a middle name Dixon.
His birth came about through a liasion between his father my 3rd great grandfather and a daughter from the previous marriage (to a Hufton) of his wife (who was widowed).
The Dixon's have brought up Vincent Dixon Hufton as a Dixon, whether this was to spare the blushes of his 17 year old mother I do not know, however was this common practice in those days or could he have been legally adopted?

Whats in a name? Are Vincent Dixon Hufton descendants Huftons or Dixons because I do not know which line to follow!

Jan1954
04-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Hi there,

If the names Vincent and Dixon are in column 2 of the certificate, then they are his forenames.

A father's name in column 4, would normally designate that by which the child is known. However, if no father is named, then the child should be known by the surname of the mother in column 5.

So, if the mother is named as being Something Hufton, then Hufton is the surname by which he should be known. Therefore....

Vincent Dixon Hufton.

Have a read of Barbara's Certificate webpage (http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/indexbd.htm) for a full explanation.

Hope this helps :)

Peter Goodey
04-02-2009, 2:14 PM
Are Vincent Dixon Hufton descendants Huftons or Dixons because I do not know which line to follow!

Unless I've misunderstood something, you've just been claiming that he had both HUFTON and DIXON ancestry. In that case, you follow both lines.

What I'm not clear about is whether you have proof that he was fathered by a DIXON or whether you're making an assumption based on circumstantial evidence.

RJO1
04-02-2009, 3:07 PM
Hi Peter

I am making an assumption based on circumstantial evidence, which I realise is not a foundation on which to build a solid case for Vincent being fathered by a Dixon. However, extending beyond the contents of the birth certificate, there has always been an aire of suspicion surrounding Nicholas Dixon bourne from my mums aunt. Unfortunately I do not know of anyway to disprove my theory that Vincent was fathered by a Dixon. I am aware that this sort of behaviour was not unusual in this era. Whether it is right or wrong to make my follow both lines? It might just be easier in the long run.

benny1982
05-03-2009, 3:01 PM
Hi RJ01

Have you tried looking for a baptism of Vincent? Baptisms can be very helpful and if a man is named as father, then you are very likely dealing with the father of that child. Then you can search for other evidenc to back it up like if he was previously married etc.

Have you got him on the 1881 census?

Ben