PDA

View Full Version : CLAYTON FAMILY FROM WISBECH CAMBS

jennyann46
04-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Hi....Does anyone have any information on the above family. My husbands mother's mother was CHARLOTTE CLAYTON we have proof of that....unfortunately we cannot trace any of her relatives (well not for sure - there are Claytons on the 1901 and 11 census) she had a sister Florence (Florrie) who married a George Racey.
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks Jenny and Colin

Jan1954
04-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Hello again, Jenny.

First things first.

Do you have Charlotte's marriage certificate? That should provide both fathers' names and occupations and some clues for tracing back on the censuses. Then, do you have her birth certificate?

What sort of time-frame are we looking at here?

jennyann46
04-02-2009, 6:01 PM
Hi Jan.....Yes we will try and get Charlottes marriage cert as her husband was called John Fenn and we don't have anything on him or even know exactly where he came from. I haven't asked for him yet as can't give anything to help as yet. Colin's mum was born in 1913 in Wisbech but her parents didn't get married til 1916 and that was in Brentford Middx.
As for time frames Charlotte would have been born I would imagine around late 1880's - early 90's
Jenny

janbooth
05-02-2009, 12:06 PM
This looks as if it may be your family in the 1901 census of Walpole St Peter, Norfolk (not too far from Wisbech):

RG13/1557, folio 25, page 7
Kirk Field

John CLAYTON Head M 48 Yardman on Farm Norfolk Fincham
Ellen do Wife M 47 do Terrington St John
Charlotte Ann do Daur S 25 do Terrington St Clement
Robert William do Son S 17 Ordinary Labourer on Farm do Magdalen
Florence May do Daur S 13 do do
Dorothy May FLAGG Visitor 3 Cambs Ely? Friday Bridge

In case you do not have the GRO Reference, Florence May CLAYTON married George Edward RACEY June qtr 1907 at Wisbech reg district, vol 3b, page 1292.

As Jan has said, Charlotte's marriage certificate will confirm if I have the correct family. In case I do, John & Ellen are in the 1891 census of Magdalen, Norfolk (RG12/1571, folio 69, page 8) living at Stray Pasture with children John, George, Anna (presumably Charlotte), Robert & Florence.

There is also a marriage registration on FreeBMD of a John CLAYTON in the December qtr 1872 at Wisbech reg district, vol 3b, page 1533 and one of other other names on the page is that of an Ellen CRAFT. Charlotte's birth certificate will confirm her mother's maiden name (could be Charlotte Ann CLAYTON, June qtr 1875, Wisbech reg district, vol 3b, page 617).

HTH

Janet

sally
06-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Hi Jenny

If you find that the info Janet gave you for John CLAYTON & Ellen CRAFT is correct then this is possibly the baptism for Ellen from the Terrington St.John PRs
1854 Dec 3rd Ellen d/o John & Muriel CRAFT of Terrington St.John, a Labourer.

Once you have worked backwards to make sure this is Charlotte's mother then PM me as I have more PR info that may take you back another generation.

Regards
Sally

jennyann46
06-02-2009, 2:34 PM
Hi Jan and a very very big thank you for what you have found....yes I am sure that is the famiy as there is the Florence May on there and she was the one that married George Racey. We are waiting for Colin's mothers birth cert to come and then I will order Charlottes marriage cert. I will check out the 1891 census as I have a paid subscription on Ancestry.com.
Once again thank you for your help and I will keep you updated - and yes plz if you have anymore to tell then it will be appreciated
Jenny

jennyann46
06-02-2009, 2:44 PM
Hi Sally....I'm so sorry I didn't realise two people had writtten to me with info.
As you see from the above reply all this seems correct and yes plz to anymore info you have got
Thanks once more
Jenny