PDA

View Full Version : Boarding schools in France early 1900's

greann
04-02-2009, 12:14 AM
Hi my husband's grandfather was sent away from Liverpool, England to a boarding school somewhere in France. Would anyone have any ideas as to how to start searching this??
Ann

Jan1954
04-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Just a thought, but what was the occupation of this lad's father? Could there be a connection to a school that was supported by a particular professional body?

greann
04-02-2009, 1:10 PM
Hi Jan,
His father was a marine engineer, and I know my husband's granddad was a "sparks operator" in the merchant marines. He was also very fluent in French.
Ann

Jan1954
04-02-2009, 1:18 PM
Hi Ann,

I see from this thread (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41392) that the family were Catholic. Could it have been a school in a town that had connections with the church?

Okay, I am grasping at straws here, but there are a number of avenues that could be explored:

Connections to the father's occupation - Marine Engineering - who did he work for? Would there have been a connection that way?
Catholic Church - was there a seminary that was sponsored by the church and that had a school attached.
Any other members of the family go to school in France?

greann
04-02-2009, 2:35 PM
Hello again,
Unfortunatly I don't have any other information on the family......
We only know that he was educated in France..........not much to go on is it?:confused:
Ann

Jan1954
04-02-2009, 2:42 PM
Not really...

One to put on the shelf, perhaps, whilst other research is being undertaken and then brought down and dusted off from time to time as further clues emerge.

greann
04-02-2009, 11:31 PM
sigh.............I think you may be right!!! It's driving me to|5cups|
Thanks again,
Ann