PDA

View Full Version : 144a Brownlow Hill & 131 Mount Pleasant

Carolineardis
03-02-2009, 11:53 AM
I know 144a Brownlow Hill Liverpool is the Workhouse Infirmary but the address on the 1911 census also includes 131 Mount Pleasant, I have googled it but nothing is coming up! My relative is coming up as an inmate, but they are all women of the same sort of age, surely if it was the infirmary men would be there too (my grandfather died at the infirmary 1925). Her name is Mary Ann Ardis age 49.:confused:

Could anyone give me any information? it would be gratefully received.|help|

Jan1954
03-02-2009, 12:48 PM
I am not terribly brilliant at this sort of thing, but below you should see where the workshouse is/was in 1904. You will see that Brownlow Hill and Mount Pleasant are on either side of the workhouse, so it could be that Mary was in a building on the corner of the two.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee187/Jan_07/Brit-Gen/workhouse.jpg

Peter Goodey
03-02-2009, 2:22 PM
What religious persuasion was this person?

How about "Training College and Convent of Notre Dame" (Convent & School), Mount Pleasant?

There were plenty of institutions in Mount Pleasant. Have a look at the 1901 census address search (no fee just to search). Enter "Mount Pleasant" without the number.

Carolineardis
03-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Don't think she would have been in a convent had already had children, she would have been Catholic though!!! Thanks for your help will try 1911 census:)

Caroline

Carolineardis
03-02-2009, 11:00 PM
tried Mount Pleasant and 131 Mount Pleasant and there are too many to show!! Any idea what I do next????

Caroline

Astoria
03-02-2009, 11:05 PM
You could try to narrow it down using the tips posted on this thread by Lincoln Lad

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41065&highlight=sticky

Carolineardis
04-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Thats how I did it!

Caroline

Peter Goodey
04-02-2009, 1:51 PM
I'm going to regret asking this but since I haven't thrown much money at the 1911 census, I'm not clear what the deficiency in the system is here. Why isn't the name of the institution shown?

Wirral
11-02-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm going to regret asking this but since I haven't thrown much money at the 1911 census, I'm not clear what the deficiency in the system is here. Why isn't the name of the institution shown?
I haven't got page 1 of a schedule for an institution, but I have got a page 2 from one. The detail that is usually given at the bottom of the page of a schedule is absent - eg signature, address, number of rooms, etc. From this I guess that only the final page of the schedule has these details. I presume that when all the functions of the census have been unlocked, then we will be able to access these details.

As far as Mary Ann ARDIS is concerned, she was probably in the able-bodied women's section of the Workhouse, not in the Workhouse Infirmary. The sexes were segregated. This site describes Liverpool Workhouse: workhouses.org.uk
In Gore's 1911 Liverpool Directory, William BRAY, governor of Brownlow Hill Workhouse is listed at 144a Brownlow Hill & at 131 Mount Pleasant. The workhouse covered 9 acres & had room for 3500 inmates.

Carolineardis
20-02-2009, 1:14 AM
Thank you only just checked this again, makes more sense on why there are only women.|wave|

daggers
20-02-2009, 9:51 AM
I may have missed something in earlier posts but on the Godfrey edition OS map of 1908 the large block on the south side of Mount Pleasant is marked 'Convent of Notre Dame', with 'Training College and School' alongside. Nearly the whole frontage between Rodney Street and Hope Street appears to be filled by this organisation, which includes no.131.
D