PDA

View Full Version : Churchgoing ancestors?

benny1982
29-01-2009, 6:07 PM
Hi

I have had luck in tracing some churchgoing ancestors in my tree. My 3xgreat grandparents were regular churchgoers as it seems. When they both died within a couple of years of each other, they had a prayers and Thanksgivings held for them at their local London church. When my 3xgreat gran fell suddenly ill in November 1886, the church service book says that they had a prayers for her and lists her amongst a few others as "Sick".

When their daughter was charged for theft of £3 in May 1886, a newspaper report says "A clergyman who has known the family for a number of years has always seen the family as respectable and didnt think she would do somethig like this".

They were quite poor but they were respectable. It seems that the family were very honest and churchgoing.

Ben

Waitabit
30-01-2009, 2:09 AM
A moments madness can hit anyone,....if you 'just have to have something' which is considered out of reach for the Familys' budget or "frilly" & unneccessary. Matters not how respectable the Family is. Perhaps they were a touch too strict as can happen 'in the Church'.

ChristineR
30-01-2009, 2:26 AM
Church played a really big part of the social fabric in those days for the majority of families. It is lovely that you have been able to find out these personal details of their lives.
:)

benny1982
30-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Hi

When you say "a touch too strict" do you think that the church was too strict or the family were too strict?

Either way this goes to show that the family were honest and God fearing.

Ben

Waitabit
31-01-2009, 1:15 AM
Perhaps a touch of both, a young person growing up could feel restricted. The Adults trying their best to live a good life following Religious teachings.
Happens today also & I admire those who keep to their convictions.

Well done to you Ben, to find such rewarding records. :)

benny1982
31-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Hi

This proves though that the parents were very honest and God fearing. They were poor but they were respectable. They would no doubt always tell the truth in church.

Ben