PDA

View Full Version : Sooooo excited, jumping up and down here!!!

raineshoe
27-01-2009, 6:01 PM
I have Henry Cootes married to Sarah Ann nee Simpson in 1876. Last known child born 1882. Disappear of the face of the earth and he then pops up married to Fanny Williams in 1890. 1911 census says been married to Fanny for 25 years which doesn't add up. Also, no death anywhere for Sarah in Scotland or England.

Anyhow, something made me look on the National Archives divorce documents and a Henry Cootes and Sarah pop up in 1887.

I applied for the documents and so far have 10 pages which confirm they are our Henry and Sarah. It is certainly explosive reading especially as he is only a steel smelter in the 1880s and divorce I am sure was still frowned upon a bit.

The National Archives say there are another 30 pages to the document :eek:

On the one hand an extremely lucky break for a family historian, but my partners poor credit card can't take it. I have to have the rest of the pages though as I only have half the story.

Cutting a long document short suffice to say Henry Cootes is subject to the drink, wife beating to the point she had a black eye and a damaged leg which became diseased and never repaired itself and also had an affair with the woman he later married. She it would appear may have had a fling with someone else too on two occasions with different men. Suffice to say the co respondents are denying it all.

Of course the it then made me wonder if all the children they had were Henry's. Can guarantee the mother but not the father as they say. (Well at least then you could).

|woohoo||woohoo||woohoo||jumphappy

You can tell I'm soooo excited |woohoo|

busyglen
27-01-2009, 6:16 PM
Glad you have finally got some information at last even if it wasn't what you were looking for! ;) Still, it certainly makes for interesting reading, apart from the wife beating of course. I hope you manage to get the remaining pages, which will certainly fill in all of the gaps.

Good luck.

Glenys

raineshoe
27-01-2009, 6:40 PM
I could write a book on this one!!! :D

Dancing round room, hopping from one foot to the other with excitment.

Can you tell I'm excited????? |jumphappy

v.wells
27-01-2009, 6:41 PM
That's terrific Rainshoe! Divorce papers make some fun reading. :D The same happened to me - I had to get the rest of the pages to complete the story.

Good job |hug|

susan-y
27-01-2009, 7:08 PM
Sounds like a book you can't put down |book2|!! Please tell us the complete story when the time comes that you can get the rest of it.:D I know there's alot of us in a similar situation right now.... none of us seem to have found a rich ancestor to help out our searching...... The scoundrals are more interesting, anyway.:o

Sue

PS... I wonder if he was the cause of the phrase..." Old coot" ... ???

raineshoe
27-01-2009, 7:16 PM
You never know.

However, we have decided my partners brother takes after Henry's genes. Say no more ;)

My other half is totally the opposite thank heavens :D

Did I tell you all I'm soooooo excited |jumphappy

Sorry couldn't resist.

I will fill everyone in or post a link to the Cootes site so if you are interested you can read it for yourselves, but I am now awaiting the next installment and also will have to wait until I have time to record it all.

Also, its opened a load of questions about certain children etc and I am now bending the plastic further to apply for Henry's marraige cert to Fanny. Never bothered with it before as she was kind of irrelevant as I thought his first wife had died and our descendents come from her, but now this changes the whole picture.

raineshoe
27-01-2009, 9:08 PM
Even more excited now as with additional information been able to locate the Cootes on the 1891 census which I've failed to do so in the past. Also, now located too Fanny Williams previous husband. Although can't find a death or divorce from him. So although on a roll the plot thickens again. Fannys first husband seems fairly affluent though as they have a servant in the house on the 1881 census.

susan-y
27-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Even more excited now as with additional information been able to locate the Cootes on the 1891 census which I've failed to do so in the past. Also, now located too Fanny Williams previous husband. Although can't find a death or divorce from him. So although on a roll the plot thickens again. Fannys first husband seems fairly affluent though as they have a servant in the house on the 1881 census.

Ohhhhhhh....maybe Cootes and Fanny bopped off her first husband and nobody missed him,,, the plot thickens.|idea|

I know --- you're soooo excited.|jumphappy

:) Sue

raineshoe
01-11-2009, 7:26 PM
Update (just a little one) -

Got the marriage certificate of Fanny Williams and Henry Cootes and they both claim to be widowers.... mmmmm... not sure about that one. Definitely were not widowers in 1888.

Plot still very thick as not had time to do too much more regarding this, but suffice to say still cannot track Sarah Ann Cootes nee Simpson or Fanny's previous husband after the divorce.

spison
01-11-2009, 7:59 PM
Intriguing!

The things some people say! We've probably all had someone who has told a little white lie which have made tracing them complicated.

Jane