PDA

View Full Version : Directory look up c1820 Baldock

Steve Steere
12-02-2005, 12:09 AM
My Great Great Grandfather William STEER married Ann WYLIE in Baldock in 1856. He is shown as a licensed victualler from Brighton, and then on the 1861 census in Hastings he is shown born Baldock c1820.

The Baldock parish records are on IGI and do not show any STEER's, but William must have been nearby at some time to have known Ann, plus he travelled back from Sussex to marry her.

Has anyone an old Herts directory covering Baldock could look to see if they can find any STEER families in or around Baldock please about 1820, probably as a Painter & Glazier, (fathers occupation). His fathers name was also William.

I cannot get confirmation of the Baldock birthplace as the family disappear for the 1871 & 1881 censuses, (checked Ancestry & LDS site & CD's), and by 1891 Ann is a widow.

If I can locate a likely STEER family it may give me a lead or two.

TIA.

Steve

Karen Newman
12-02-2005, 4:47 PM
Have you tried HALS? (Hertfordshire Archives & Local Studies). According to Chris Reynolds' website - a really good site, by the way), they have loads of stuff other than BMDs which may help.

Steve Steere
13-02-2005, 1:13 AM
Thanks to Kester & Karen for both taking the trouble to reply, appreciated.

I know that my Steer family are not in Baldock in 1841, so unfortunately the historical directories site is no good, it has got to be pre 1841.

Thanks I have now had a look at Hertfordshire-Genealogy site, it does give some advice, plus I'll have to search as there is a bad link and I cannot get the HALS website, hopefully I'll find it on google.

My Steer family are making it hard to find them, but that is what it is all about, I'm sure I'll find them eventually.

Thanks again.

Steve

Bryan
15-02-2005, 9:32 PM
Hi Steve,

Sorry to say there are no Steer entries in the Baldock Directory in 1823. Can you suggest some other area to search?

Regards,

Bryan

Steve Steere
16-02-2005, 12:27 AM
Hello Bryan,
They are being evasive, thanks for having a look for me.

I must consider then that the 1861 census giving his birth as Baldock is incorrect, unfortunately the whole family disapear after that, I suspect abroad, as I have done many first name searches on the 71 & 81.

He must have gone to Baldock at some stage or Ann must have travelled to Brighton and then met him, the marriage taking place at the brides home town of Baldock as usual. It must then have happened in the late 1850's, so censuses will be no help.

I think I will switch to Brighton, though that will be a huge task.

Appreciate you trying.

Regards,

Steve