PDA

View Full Version : Gatehouse Hotel Lincoln

panda
11-02-2005, 2:09 PM
Hi,
Does anyone have a picture of the Gatehouse Hotel which stood at 1 Canwick Road, Lincoln. It was once called Railway Gatehouse. It was demolished when, or before, Pelham Bridge was constructed.
Thanks
Panda

Geoff Everitt
12-02-2005, 12:47 AM
I've never been aware of a pub called The Gatehouse in that location - the Gatehouse Hotel was (and is, I think) a couple of miles south of the centre. The pub on the corner of Pelham St and Oxford St (opposite the level crossing GATES) was the Durham Ox.

In the 1931 Lincs Directory, the address of the Gate House Hotel is given as Newark Rd and the licensee was Fredk G Brown.

Geoff Everitt
12-02-2005, 5:34 PM
An interesting finding - or a strange coincidence!

On the 1861 census, Lodge 21, Pelham St was being occupied by:

WE Piper Gatehouse 41 Railway Porter, Bucks Marlow (possibly)
and another railway porter.

In 1871 WEPG was a railway signalman, lodging at the Railway Inn on Canwick Road.

panda
15-02-2005, 12:49 AM
Hi,

I should have said no.1 Canwick Road. The Durham Ox was opposite. At one time the Hotel was called the Railway Gatehouse Hotel and then the Railway part was dropped. I don't know when it was demolished. All the photographs of that area show the Durham Ox but the Gatehouse is to the side.

I know that there is a Gatehouse pub on Newark Road but th a different one.

Thanks

Geoff Everitt
15-02-2005, 11:18 AM
What time period are you talking here?

In 1871, the aforesaid Railway Inn (where Mr Gatehouse was living) was at 3 Canwick Rd, kept by Rebecca Atkins and her sister. At 1 Canwick Rd was Leonard Wiswould, blacksmith.

I assume, if we are talking about Canwick Rd, we are talking about the SOUTH side of the level crossing. I can just remember there being a few buildings between the level crossing and Great Northern Terrace. A distant photo (late 1950s) shows that there were four chimney stacks on them. They were demolished before 1962. The old censuses have "Canwick Square" which could well have been made up of these buildings plus two short rows of houses on the opposite side of Canwick Road (now under Pelham Bridge) - this would mean that Canwick Road (proper) started south of Great Northern Terrace.

The 1962 photo possibly looks hopeful as it shows, on the right hand corner of Great Northern Terrace, a large hotel-looking building, probably too big to be a private residence. It appears to be in use as an off-licence, having shop windows both sides of the corner door and a large "Warwicks" sign above. It is not on an 1851 map but it on the 1868 map.

What do you think?

Ajay
16-02-2005, 4:34 PM
If you interested I have a very small black and white photograph of the Durham Ox level crossing taken in August 1948. During the Second World War I remember as a small child standing in a railway wagon not far from the Durham Ox crossing watching a row of houses burning as a result of crash of a RAF plane. I believe this would have occurred in the summer of 1941. It would good to have an exact date.

Ajay.

Geoff Everitt
16-02-2005, 9:22 PM
I have a vague recollection of being told (when I was a kid in the 1950s) of a plane crash - was it Oxford Street, close to (and opposite) the stairway of the footbridge over the railway? I seem to remember a derelict square of land there.

Ajay
17-02-2005, 11:36 AM
Hello Geoff.

Yes, I believe this would have been the location of the plane crash.

Alan

Geoff Everitt
17-02-2005, 4:19 PM
I've scanned a picture of the crossing with the 'hotel', but don't seem able to attach it - if anyone would like it, send me your e-mail address in a message.

PennyvdB
22-12-2012, 3:28 PM
Hi
I remember Pelham Bridge being opened. My family lived in the Canwick Road, Great Northern Terrace areas. I have a DVD re the building of Pelham Bridge which shows footage of the area pre the bridge, including the Durham Ox so there may be film of the Gatehouse on that. If you would like the details please let me know
Penny