PDA

View Full Version : Ordering Microfilms

samgibbons56
25-01-2009, 1:22 PM
Hello all,
I notice that there are many others like me that live in foreign parts but research UK parishes and wondered if this may help.
Being not very confident in French, I had been unable to get to grips with the LDS here (there is a FHL about 30 mins away) and thought my research would be halted by this, now I find on the LDS site the following:
http://films.familysearch.org/
From here you can choose country, region etc and order your film online, to be sent to the FHL of your choice.
You need to register, but it is quite straightforward and you can track your order progress.
The film cost 8 euros (gone up a bit since 2005) but for me it's well worth it.
Now all I have to do is e-mail to see if I can take my laptop with me.
Yippee, I've been having severe withdrawal symptoms these last few years, the only way I've been able to get a "fix" is to transcribe for Freereg, which I am enjoying (sad!) very much.
Hope this is of some use.
Regards
Sam

Brian Turnbull
04-02-2009, 5:42 AM
samgibbons56, I tried the site but when registering the site asks for country and gives a drop down menu. Unfortunately Australia doesn't rate in the list and there seems no way to enter a country. I guess this means that only the counties in the menu can order films.
Brian

Peter Goodey
04-02-2009, 7:44 AM
Have you tried changing the language (in the top right hand corner of the logon screen) to "Australian"?

If that works for you, it will be the funniest thing I'm likely to run into today!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Waitabit
04-02-2009, 8:42 AM
Brian
, we're in "south West Pacific" on IGI.

Peter,...you are a cheeky fella.

Peter Goodey
04-02-2009, 9:20 AM
Peter,...you are a cheeky fella.

It's a serious suggestion. The "Select Language" box actually allows you to select language and currency. Australian Dollar is one of the options.

If it works I would still find it quite funny.

Barbara Wilkinson
04-02-2009, 10:06 AM
I had to try - even though I am a long way from Australia ...!!:D
Changed language to Australian dollar (?), but the country list did not change!!

Brian Turnbull
04-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Barbara Wilkinson.
Exactly the same thing happened to me!
Brian

Peter Goodey
04-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Sorry if I laid a false trail. I haven't tried because I don't expect to need to use it.

It gives the impression that they intended it to apply to Australia so it may be worth emailing them.

Chisel
22-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Umm has it been updated in the last few weeks? On the left hand side it says for Aussie & Kiwi users to clk here.
During the registration process also suggested my local lds offices.

Nice feature- but a bit expensive. Ouch

ChristineR
22-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Thanks for that info Sam, very useful. I am in Australia and it has been some years since I visted a centre. The price for a film is only a few dollars more according to my test. :)
Chisel, you may have been looking at long term viewing - trying that, my price went from 7.75 to 19.50! but still worth it of course, cheaper than flying to England or paying a researcher.

Chisel
23-02-2010, 12:10 AM
Chisel, you may have been looking at long term viewing

You are sooooooooooooooooo right - I was looking at long term $35 |biggrin||shakehead

Brian Turnbull
04-03-2010, 1:26 AM
The new ordering system says the films should be delivered between 7 and 180 days. Mine have now been on order for 45 days, so maybe I have 135 to go. I am sure I did not have to wait this long under the old system. Great progress.

Brian

samgibbons56
05-03-2010, 9:54 AM
Hi all,
Some of the films I have ordered took only 1 month, in the summer, but the ones I currently have on order are taking a lot longer ( ordered Oct 09!). I think that the autumn - winter time must be the busiest.
Sam