PDA

View Full Version : STRUDWICK - Waterman in Ripley, Kent/Surrey

LifesGood
24-01-2009, 4:45 AM
Hi people
Please forgive an Aussie's ignorance.

Could somebody please tell me on what waterways is it most likely my ancestor, Henry Strudwick, was working?
Links to relevant websites would be very appreciated.

I have found records showing Henry Strudwick as a 'waterman' in 1861, living in Ripley, Surrey.

In 1851 his wife is recorded as a 'bargeman's wife' living in Ripley, Kent.
Henry himself isn't recorded on the census.

I'm not sure if the 'Kent' Ripley is one and the same place as the 'Surrey' Ripley.

Regards
LG

michaelpipe
24-01-2009, 7:12 AM
I am not sure if the mention of Kent is an error, but on the 1851 census page it states Village: Ripley, Parish: Send & Ripley, (near Woking, Surrey) and on the description of the District it states West Surrey.

There is no Ripley in Kent, and the Ripley in Surrey is a long way from Kent, so you can safely say that this is Surrey.

However, where Henry would be working as a bargeman is a difficult question to answer. He needs to be found on the 1851 census.

Michael

michaelpipe
24-01-2009, 7:33 AM
In 1841 Henry lived in Fittleworth, and probably worked on the River Arun, which was linked to the Wey & Arun canal network.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Arun

Although Ripley is 30 miles or more from there, is it possible that he still worked in the same place, but the family moved to Ripley for some other reason?

Michael

Jan1954
24-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Hello LifesGood,

If you ever find a connection to the Strudwicks of Rudgwick, please let me know. Rudgwick is only about 20 miles from Ripley, although it is in Sussex, rather than Surrey.

Sarah Anne Strudwick (1803 - 1890) was my several great grandmother, the daughter of John Strudwick (c1777 - 1830-odd) and Sarah Hoad (c1763 - 1846). However, I have yet to identify any siblings for her.

Thanks and good luck!

wesw
24-01-2009, 3:07 PM
The Wey navigation runs very close to Ripley, with lots of towpaths for barges. I used to fish there as a child.

LifesGood
25-01-2009, 3:16 AM
Michael
Sighs, I guess Ancestry are trying to add confusion to frustration, hehehe
That is where I got the 'Kent' part from...
Civil Parish: Ripley
County/Island: Kent

I will alert them to the misleading 'Kent' where it should read Surrey.

Ooh Wes, you lucky sod you.
The Wey River looks very pretty - I wouldn't mind spending my days floating up and down such beautiful countryside, with or without fishing rod in hand. Sure beats our drab Aussie colours.

Jan
I will keep your rellies in mind while I continue researching this branch.
I've only just discovered them - following the Scott line back to a marriage between Henry's daughter, Elizabeth Strudwick, and William Scott.
Their first child was born in Plumstead, Kent
[one reason I didn't discount the 'Ripley, Kent']
then the rest in Slough, Buckinghamshire.

Henry and his siblings were born in Fittleworth, Sussex.
His parents hail from Pulborough, which I see from Michael's link is also near the Wey & Arun Canal. It looks like Henry's father was also a bargeman.
Will let you know if I find anything of interest to your Strudwick's.

Regards
LG