PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Passenger List

Lindad
16-01-2009, 6:32 PM
|help| If anyone has access to the Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935, I would be most grateful if could kindly do a search for me...

I want to know the details (ie. date, ship etc.) of Amy BERRETT who sailed from England to St Johns, Newfoundland.

I had hoped to find her on the UK lists (which I have a subscription for) but, of course she isn't! I had also expected to find her on the 1911 UK census... but can't find her so now wonder if she had already left for Canada...

Many, many thanks!

Linda

Aislin
16-01-2009, 6:49 PM
http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/regnf_census.html#1911

Did you see these? You might have some luck finding her on the census for Canada

Lindad
16-01-2009, 8:43 PM
Many thanks for that... but I'm afarid she didn't stay in Newfoundland; that was just were her ship was bound for.

I've found her listed on the Canadian Passenger Lists on A******y but don't have a subscription that covers those particular records. Depending on the date she travelled I will then know whether to continue looking for her on the 1911 UK census or one in Canada.

Amy was my grandfather's youngest sister and the youngest of nine children. They parents died quite young in 1905. Amy spent some time living with an aunt in London, then some time in the Police Orphanage before going to Canada with the Salvation Army who had promised her a job in service over there. In 1917, at the age of 20, she was married in Halifax. We know the rest of her story, but it's the bit inbetween 1905 and 1917 that we are unclear about.

I had previously thought she went to Canada in 1914 but, as I can't find her on the 1911 census, I wonder if she went earlier. The information that will answer my question is there - but I'm reluctant to take out yet another expensive subscription for just one record!

Aislin
16-01-2009, 8:49 PM
I took a quick look at automatedgenealogy.com 1911 Census Canada for all matching matching records for Berrett and it brought up 28 records, no Ann.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SurnameSearch.jsp?surname=BERRETT&desc=1911+Census+of+Canada+genealogy+search+in+all +provinces

Maybe you could take a peek and see if any of the other names ring a bell. Or she might have gone by another name.

Lindad
16-01-2009, 9:00 PM
Thanks... I have taken a peek, but no, none of the names look familiar.

Although the name BERRETT is not common, there are quite a few of them. They all orginated in Wiltshire, England - and a group from the Steeple Ashton area emigrated to the States with the Mormons in the mid-late 1800s. I would therefore expect to see quite a few variations of the name in both the States and Canada. I will certainly study this list a little more carefully in due course as I am also involved with a One Name Study for BERRETT.

Meanwhile, my search for the date Amy sailed continues...

Mary Anne
16-01-2009, 9:52 PM
when was Amy born, Lindad?

Lindad
16-01-2009, 9:56 PM
Amy was born in 1896.

sandiep
16-01-2009, 9:58 PM
it was 15th feb 1915
sandie

Mary Anne
16-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Never mind, found her:

Amy Berrett, age 21, single, 'British Bonus Allowed', born England, English, Destination: Halifax, N.S., Occupation in England: Counter hand, Occupation at destination: Domestic, religion: C of E

She travelled 15 February 1915 on the Missanabie from Liverpool.

Mary Anne

Lindad
16-01-2009, 10:04 PM
|jumphappy

That's brilliant! THANK YOU so much!

Now I need to go back and find her on the 1911!!!

Squaredancer
16-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Could your Amy have had other names? In the index there’s a Margaret Amy Ellen Berrett aged 14, born 1897, living at Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire. (I notice you said the Berretts came from Wiltshire.)

As you state that Amy was born in 1896, she’d have been 19 in 1915, not 21. Lying about her age for some reason?

The Missanabie made 4 trips to Halifax in 1915 according to the Library and Archives Canada Site, arriving on
1915-01-10
1915-02-14
1915-03-21
1915-04-17

This site says the ship left England on 5th not 15th February, and I think that is what it says on the manifest (which has been digitised), so the arrival on 1915-02-14 is Amy’s. The pages are unfortunately not clear and I can only just make out her name. You might like to have a look for yourself - the Library and Archives Canada Site is free to search:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/index-e.html

For passenger lists go for the bit that says “On Our Website” then “Browse Alphabetically” then choose P for Passenger Lists. You have to know the name of the ship and at least the year of arrival.

Hope this may be of interest. :)

Lindad
16-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Many thanks Squaredancer. The previous Amy is definitely mine, despite the difference in ages. I suspect her age was bumped up a bit by her sponsors in order to improve her employment opportunities once in Canada.

The Amy Berrett you have found from Bradford on Avon is likely to have been connected to the Steeple Ashton Berretts. My lot were from a few miles further east in the Pewsey Vale. The distance isn't all that great, but they were two distinct branches and despite strenuous efforts I have yet to find a link between the two, although there MUST be one!

Thanks too for the web link. I will certainly explore that.

wrinkly
16-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Never mind, found her:

Amy Berrett, age 21, single, 'British Bonus Allowed', born England, English, Destination: Halifax, N.S., Occupation in England: Counter hand, Occupation at destination: Domestic, religion: C of E

She travelled 15 February 1915 on the Missanabie from Liverpool.

Mary Anne

How did you and Sandiep find that Mary Anne? As I am looking for womeone too I checked out both sites and they only give the 1901 and 1911 censuses.... but Amy Berrett sailed in 1915..... how did you do that you two? Are you geniuses or blessed with second sight?
Wrinkly:confused:

Mary Anne
16-02-2009, 1:07 PM
wrinkly

I found her on a Canadian Passenger Lists database on A***.

What/who are you looking for?

Mary Anne

sandiep
16-02-2009, 4:29 PM
Me too wrinkly..........no second sight wish I had sandie

wrinkly
17-02-2009, 12:33 AM
wrinkly

I found her on a Canadian Passenger Lists database on A***.

What/who are you looking for?

Mary Anne

Well I think you are both geniuses........ Have been looking for William Henry Beecham, born 20 Aug 1895 in Deal Kent (although birth not registered until Dec qtr??).... he went to Canada ... appears on the 1911 census in UK so it would be after that...... there is some question as to whether or not his brother Edward Thomas Beecham, born 14 Oct 1898 also went to Canada but they were separated as children son wouldn't have gone together........ As I haven't the foggiest idea wherebouts in Canada he went it is a hopeless task! But I do love a challenge even if it does give me a sore head!!!!!!!!!|banghead|

Wrinkly

Lynda Marie
17-02-2009, 2:38 AM
Well I think you are both geniuses........ Have been looking for William Henry Beecham, born 20 Aug 1895 in Deal Kent (although birth not registered until Dec qtr??).... he went to Canada ... appears on the 1911 census in UK so it would be after that...... there is some question as to whether or not his brother Edward Thomas Beecham, born 14 Oct 1898 also went to Canada but they were separated as children son wouldn't have gone together........ As I haven't the foggiest idea wherebouts in Canada he went it is a hopeless task! But I do love a challenge even if it does give me a sore head!!!!!!!!!|banghead|

Wrinkly

Wrinkly, your William Henry Beecham went to Rosser, Manitoba. He was 20 years old, 10 months, with blue eyes and brown hair and 5 feet 7 inches tall in June 1916 when he signed his attestation papers.

You can view and download his WW I attestation papers from the Canadian Government website at :
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-119.01-e.php?id_nbr=34058

This link will take you directly to the attestation papers. Click on the icons on the screen to open them up. It is interesting to note that he was born in Kent and lists a sister Ada Wilks of 76 Greenwood Ave. London England. You can even see his signature.

Lynda

AdeleE
17-02-2009, 2:45 AM
Wrinkly,
Also see your older post about the Beecham boys. I've posted the CEF info + Manitoba marriage info + British Columbia death info.
Adele

Mary Anne
18-02-2009, 1:06 AM
there you go, wrinkly, Adele semse to ahve found them for you -- well, at least William Henry.

Mary Anne

wrinkly
18-02-2009, 5:52 AM
Wrinkly, your William Henry Beecham went to Rosser, Manitoba. He was 20 years old, 10 months, with blue eyes and brown hair and 5 feet 7 inches tall in June 1916 when he signed his attestation papers.

You can view and download his WW I attestation papers from the Canadian Government website at :
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-119.01-e.php?id_nbr=34058

This link will take you directly to the attestation papers. Click on the icons on the screen to open them up. It is interesting to note that he was born in Kent and lists a sister Ada Wilks of 76 Greenwood Ave. London England. You can even see his signature.

Lynda

Thanks Lynda! See reply to AdeleE! I told yu you were both geniuses! I rest my case..... Years of searching for William and Edward and William has been found thanks to you......... and I know where Edward was in 1915 which is another step forward. |jumphappy

Wrinkly

wrinkly
19-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Thanks Lynda! See reply to AdeleE! I told yu you were both geniuses! I rest my case..... Years of searching for William and Edward and William has been found thanks to you......... and I know where Edward was in 1915 which is another step forward. |jumphappy

Wrinkly

Of course I meant 1911.... don't know why I keep referring to the 1911 census as 1915.......... am I getting old??????????:confused:

wrinkly
19-02-2009, 12:46 AM
there you go, wrinkly, Adele semse to ahve found them for you -- well, at least William Henry.

Mary Anne

Yes indeed. And I THINK I have found when William Henry departed for Canada... although not 100% sure.... foudn a Wm Beecham who departed :confused:on 20 April 1912 on Tunisian.... queries are his age is wrong (14 instead of 16) and destination port was Halifax, bound for Saint John NB so how come he finished up in Manitoba? No idea of geography of Canada but google tells me they are a long way away from each other........ but it is the only one I can find....

AdeleE
19-02-2009, 9:58 AM
Your Wm Beecham on the Tunisian arriving Halifax on 28 Apr 1912 seems to fit. The page on which he appears is a party of males, all aged "A" (don't know what that means), "Party in Charge of Mrs. Robinson", destination Winnipeg Manitoba, via CPR (Canadian Pacific Railroad).
Adele

wrinkly
20-02-2009, 12:38 AM
Your Wm Beecham on the Tunisian arriving Halifax on 28 Apr 1912 seems to fit. The page on which he appears is a party of males, all aged "A" (don't know what that means), "Party in Charge of Mrs. Robinson", destination Winnipeg Manitoba, via CPR (Canadian Pacific Railroad).
Adele

Adele I shall recommend you for the BGOBE - hope the moderators are listening!

Wonder why Findmypast has him as bound for Saint John NB??? Just to confuse me?:confused: but this is great.

Still can't believe how emotional I got when you found him for me....... I am your slave for ever|bowdown|
Wrinkly

Mary Anne
20-02-2009, 2:59 AM
wrinkly

the ship was bound for there. And then he had passage onward to Winnipeg by train with the CPR...the passenger lists often give the onward, final "destination"

Mary Anne

Lynda Marie
20-02-2009, 3:08 AM
Wrinkly, your William came to Canada as a Home Child according to the information listed. His surname has been misspelled [but not far off an e n instead of m] but if the information that Adele has supplied is correct, the following is your Wm. The normal procedure for the children was to arrive in Halifax, Montreal or Quebec City and then be transported by rail to one of the homes set up in various locations in Canada. My ancestors came as Home Children to Canada and I have been through the process of finding documentation, I will help if you need that information.

Name: BEECHAEN
Given Name: William
Sex: M
Ship: Tunisian
Year of Arrival: 1912
Departure Port: Liverpool
Departure Date: 20 April 1912
Arrival Port: Halifax
Arrival Date: 28 April 1912
Party: Mrs. Robinson
Destination: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Notes: The child's surname was illegible or difficult to decipher
Source: Library and Archives Canada/Bibliothèque et Archives Canada
Reference: RG76 C 1 bMicrofilm: T-4744
Type of Record: Passenger Lists/Listes de passagers

wrinkly
21-02-2009, 12:15 AM
L
Wrinkly, your William came to Canada as a Home Child according to the information listed. His surname has been misspelled [but not far off an e n instead of m] but if the information that Adele has supplied is correct, the following is your Wm. The normal procedure for the children was to arrive in Halifax, Montreal or Quebec City and then be transported by rail to one of the homes set up in various locations in Canada. My ancestors came as Home Children to Canada and I have been through the process of finding documentation, I will help if you need that information.

Name: BEECHAEN
Given Name: William
Sex: M
Ship: Tunisian
Year of Arrival: 1912
Departure Port: Liverpool
Departure Date: 20 April 1912
Arrival Port: Halifax
Arrival Date: 28 April 1912
Party: Mrs. Robinson
Destination: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Notes: The child's surname was illegible or difficult to decipher
Source: Library and Archives Canada/Bibliothèque et Archives Canada
Reference: RG76 C 1 bMicrofilm: T-4744
Type of Record: Passenger Lists/Listes de passagers

Thanks Lynda Marie,
I will try to find this record but even if I don't I am very grateful. Wonder who Mrs Robinson was?!?!?!?!?:)

Wrinkly

wrinkly
21-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Lynda Marie, I forgot to say, that yes, the information Adele found for me is correct. He was on the 1911 census at The School of Handicrafts for Poor Boys (pupil gardener)... I have been in contact with the Surrey History Centre and they have been very helpful.... They send me a form for FOI and I hope to get more information still eventually.... but they did mention that he left the school on 19 April 1912, en route to Winnipeg 20th April 1912.... so that confirms what Adele told me......

Everyone on this site is so helpful and so knowledgeable.... how did you all get to be so smart?????? To think I have been looking on sites for Home Children for several years and getitng nowhere and you suddenly all have the answer at your fingertips! Maybe it is practice makes perfect or maybe you have different software... or, as I said before, maybe you are all geniuses!
wirnkly

Lynda Marie
21-02-2009, 2:12 AM
Wrinkly, as I said in my previous email, My great grandparents and several other ancestors came to Canada as Home Children. I am familiar with the search strategies that led me to find them and their circumstances and I have used the Canadian government website many times. The best thing about the Canadian information is that it is all free [long may it continue]. The folks on the B-G Forums are just amazing and so knowledgeable. I am so grateful for their expertise and their willingness to share and solve issues. They jump right in and offer support and suggestions. I am happy to return the favours. If I can be of further assistance don't hesitate to ask.

If you need help to locate the record just let me know and I will point you in the right direction.

Lynda

wrinkly
22-02-2009, 12:26 AM
Wrinkly, as I said in my previous email, My great grandparents and several other ancestors came to Canada as Home Children. I am familiar with the search strategies that led me to find them and their circumstances and I have used the Canadian government website many times. The best thing about the Canadian information is that it is all free [long may it continue]. The folks on the B-G Forums are just amazing and so knowledgeable. I am so grateful for their expertise and their willingness to share and solve issues. They jump right in and offer support and suggestions. I am happy to return the favours. If I can be of further assistance don't hesitate to ask.

If you need help to locate the record just let me know and I will point you in the right direction.

Lynda

Thanks Lynda - that's kind of you|hug| I have sent for William's marriage certificate... took a few emails cos it said I had to be next of kin or have their written permission and I don't know who his next of kin is!!! Anyway, eventually got it sorted and it is open record so hopefully will have that within a month. can't get the death certificate cos it's too recent...... there doesn't seem to be a site where you can look up births as there is for UK so hope to put advert in paper and see if I get any bites........ You are right about BG.... Parish Chest pointing me in this direction is the best thing that happened to me genealogy wise!

Wrinkly

AdeleE
22-02-2009, 1:31 AM
can't get the death certificate cos it's too recent......

Do you mean the British Columbia Death Certificate for William Henry Beecham? You should be able to bring in the microfilm containing the death certificate to your local LDS Family History Centre. The GSU microfilm # is quoted on the BC Death Index citation for William Henry Beecham.
Once you bring up his name in the search results on the BC website, click on the number to the left of his name and that will bring you to a new page where the GSU # is quoted on the last line. I don't think I can post the microfilm # here as I believe it is copyright.
Adele

Mary Anne
22-02-2009, 2:49 AM
AdeleE

You could send the film number as PM to wrinkly.

Lynda Marie - do you know which Home Children group William Henry may have come to Canada with? Only we have some expertise with the British Isles Family History Society of Greater Ottawa and we could maybe help to find him....

Wrinkly - we are not geniuses (speaking only for myself of course ;)). Just people who have used different strategies to find information about people. We are all glad to help any way we can.

Mary Anne

Lynda Marie
22-02-2009, 12:35 PM
AdeleE

Lynda Marie - do you know which Home Children group William Henry may have come to Canada with? Only we have some expertise with the British Isles Family History Society of Greater Ottawa and we could maybe help to find him....

Mary Anne

No, not yet. Given the fact that he went to Manitoba and the year he was sent tells me that it was probably Barnardo's. I have been searching to find a reference to Mrs. Robinson as the person assigned to travel with a group without success.

I did find a reference to a William Henry Beecham travelling to the UK in April 1932. He listed the address he was going to as 33 Canarvon Road, West Bridgford, Nottingham.

UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
about William Henry Beecham
Name: William Henry Beecham
Birth Date: abt 1891
Port of Departure: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Arrival Date: 30 Apr 1932
Port of Arrival: Liverpool, England
Ports of Voyage: Greenock, Belfast
Ship Name: Duchess of York
Search Ship Database: View the 'Duchess of York' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: Canadian Pacific
Official Number: 161202

wrinkly
23-02-2009, 12:13 AM
Do you mean the British Columbia Death Certificate for William Henry Beecham? You should be able to bring in the microfilm containing the death certificate to your local LDS Family History Centre. The GSU microfilm # is quoted on the BC Death Index citation for William Henry Beecham.
Once you bring up his name in the search results on the BC website, click on the number to the left of his name and that will bring you to a new page where the GSU # is quoted on the last line. I don't think I can post the microfilm # here as I believe it is copyright.
Adele

hi Adele,
Yes I meant the BC death certificate. Unfortunately the nearest LDS Family History Centre is 100km away, there is no public transport and I only have a gopher!!!!!!!!!!!! with the best will in the world I don't somehow think it will make it....... maybe next time I go to the big smoke for a few days I will have a look. thanks anyway.:)

wrinkly
23-02-2009, 12:22 AM
No, not yet. Given the fact that he went to Manitoba and the year he was sent tells me that it was probably Barnardo's. I have been searching to find a reference to Mrs. Robinson as the person assigned to travel with a group without success.

I did find a reference to a William Henry Beecham travelling to the UK in April 1932. He listed the address he was going to as 33 Canarvon Road, West Bridgford, Nottingham.

UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
about William Henry Beecham
Name: William Henry Beecham
Birth Date: abt 1891
Port of Departure: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Arrival Date: 30 Apr 1932
Port of Arrival: Liverpool, England
Ports of Voyage: Greenock, Belfast
Ship Name: Duchess of York
Search Ship Database: View the 'Duchess of York' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: Canadian Pacific
Official Number: 161202

Lynda Marie, he was sent by the School of Handicrafts for Poor Boys in Chersey, Surrey where he had been a pupil gardener..... seems they sent the pupils to Australia, Canada and New Zealand... wonder how they decided who went where?????? Or if the boys had the choice of refusing? Or destination? Weren't times hard then... aren't we lucky we live now.......

If this William Henry who went back to England in 1932 is mine then I have no idea who he could have been visiting in Notts.... and would he have left from Montreal if he was living in either Manitoba or British Columbia at the stage? I have been told that he went looking for family but no idea when except it was after 1939......... wonder if he could have been in the Canadian army in WW2 and stationed in England???????? probably not, probably too old or something.........

As a "by the way" does anyone else get emotional when they find relatives? Or am I getting sooky in my old age?????

Wrinkly :)

AdeleE
23-02-2009, 12:28 AM
When you said the death registration was too recent, did you mean that the BC Archives wouldn't let you order the certificate?
And yes, I get positively silly when I find an ancestor. I also enjoy helping people like you, because I can feel the joy from here. Makes my day.
Adele

Mary Anne
23-02-2009, 1:32 PM
wrinkly

The answer to your question: "would he have left from Montreal if he was living in either Manitoba or British Columbia at the stage?" is -- yes, definitely. He would have likely taken the train to Montreal and then got on the ship there. Ships to Europe sailed from Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax and St. John, New Brunswick (possibly also other eastern ports that I forget). Ships from B.C. would really only be going towards Asia, or south to the US. And Manitoba is too far inland...;) (It's known as the geographic centre of Canada)

Sounds like that's your man in 1932, though, coming back to England. He could have enlisted in 1939 and gone to England, but you won't be able to get at those records for some time. I don't think they would necessarily have considered him too old.

I agree, it is exciting to find ancestors. And I agree with AdeleE, helping other people find theirs is as exciting, and very rewarding! :D

AdeleE
23-02-2009, 2:38 PM
I don't think the William Henry Beecham inbound to England & going to 33 Carnarvon Road in 1932 is your man.

There is a William Beecham on the Duchess of Bedford arriving St John, New Brunswick 5 Apr 1929 from Liverpool. His contact in England is wife Mrs Ethel Beecham, 35 Carnarvon Road, W Bridgeford, Notts. He appears to be arriving under the auspices of the Land Settlement Branch with reduced immigrant rate. He is a fruiterer.

Adele

wrinkly
24-02-2009, 12:30 AM
When you said the death registration was too recent, did you mean that the BC Archives wouldn't let you order the certificate?
And yes, I get positively silly when I find an ancestor. I also enjoy helping people like you, because I can feel the joy from here. Makes my day.
Adele

oops! I was going by the Manitoba requirements.... just checked to see what the cut off date was (think it was something like another 50 years!) and realised my mistake. I think it just comes in with British Columbia but is expensive - $27 CAN..... so will have to wait until next pension day! But it would be good to get it and confirm it is him....

Glad I'm not the only one re finding ancestors.... I've often felt elated but never as emotional as i did with William!

Wrinkly:)

wrinkly
24-02-2009, 12:37 AM
wrinkly

The answer to your question: "would he have left from Montreal if he was living in either Manitoba or British Columbia at the stage?" is -- yes, definitely. He would have likely taken the train to Montreal and then got on the ship there. Ships to Europe sailed from Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax and St. John, New Brunswick (possibly also other eastern ports that I forget). Ships from B.C. would really only be going towards Asia, or south to the US. And Manitoba is too far inland...;) (It's known as the geographic centre of Canada)

Sounds like that's your man in 1932, though, coming back to England. He could have enlisted in 1939 and gone to England, but you won't be able to get at those records for some time. I don't think they would necessarily have considered him too old.

I agree, it is exciting to find ancestors. And I agree with AdeleE, helping other people find theirs is as exciting, and very rewarding! :D

Wish I could work out how to quote just part instead of the whole thing! Anyway, be that as it may, if it is my William who came back in 1932 I wonder why he took more than 7 years to go looking for family?????

wrinkly
24-02-2009, 12:40 AM
I don't think the William Henry Beecham inbound to England & going to 33 Carnarvon Road in 1932 is your man.

There is a William Beecham on the Duchess of Bedford arriving St John, New Brunswick 5 Apr 1929 from Liverpool. His contact in England is wife Mrs Ethel Beecham, 35 Carnarvon Road, W Bridgeford, Notts. He appears to be arriving under the auspices of the Land Settlement Branch with reduced immigrant rate. He is a fruiterer.

Adele
Should have looked at this first Adele! |doh| You are quite right, doesn't sound a bit like mine..... wouldn't it be wonderful if we found him coming back for a reunion with Edward?!?!?!?!? Well, a girl can dream........

Wrinkly

Procat
24-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Wish I could work out how to quote just part instead of the whole thing! Anyway, be that as it may, if it is my William who came back in 1932 I wonder why he took more than 7 years to go looking for family?????

Tis easy Wrinkly. Just click on the quote button then delete the unwanted text between the two [Quote] blocks.

Eg (ignore the " marks): "Wish I could work out how to quote just part instead of the whole thing! Anyway, be that as it may, if it is my William who came back in 1932 I wonder why he took more than 7 years to go looking for family?????"

becomes "Anyway, be that as it may, if it is my William who came back in 1932 I wonder why he took more than 7 years to go looking for family?????"

wrinkly
10-07-2009, 9:16 PM

Adele

Hi Adele, still looking..... what is the Land Settlement Branch?

Good news is that, following advert in paper, have made contact with two of his grandchildren living in B.C. :D They say he came back a couple of times, the last time in 1964 with his wife...... but no further details known..... so, still looking for at least the first visit back as still trying to find Edward.|book2|

Mary Anne
10-07-2009, 10:00 PM
wrinkly

The Land Settlement Branch was a branch of the then Department of Immigration and Colonization. Its role after WWI was to assist settlers who were primarily from Great Britain, to settle and farm (mainly) in Canada in the 1920s and 1930s. They were given advice on farming and land purchase, regarding fair prices and suitability of land and were asssited with passage money.

If William was listed as a fruiterer, then it is likely he was being directed to settle in B.C., possibly in the Okanagan Valley with its mild climate. Which is likely why you have found rellies still living in B.C. Good on you!! What fun.:D

Mary Anne

wrinkly
11-07-2009, 6:41 AM
Hi Mary Anne,

thanks for the information. Looks like Adele is definitely right when she says doesn't think this is my William.... he was a home child, settled in Manitoba then moved to White Rock after the war......his daughter moved out to ... somewhere else in BC (my memory! - will have to dig up the note if I can find it.) I though Adele was right but kowing he went home to England a couple of times I have been looking for records of his trips so that I can try to work out who he went to see....... this is the only William Henry I can find... maybe I can find a plain William! Aint this fun!:)

Wrinkly