PDA

View Full Version : Halliday's to Canada 1911

Colin Parkinson
16-01-2009, 5:40 PM
I have found on shipping records Thomas (Thos) Halliday born 1866 going from Liverpool to Montreal arriving 30 April 1911 on the "Corsican". Note on the shipping record suggests he had been in Canada before as an Electrician for 1 year? His family followed 3 months later arriving Montreal on 29 July 1911 on the "Canada", Mrs A (Alexandra Selina, nee Parkinson) Halliday aged 47, Miss Hilda Halliday aged 15 & Albert Halliday aged 5. Shipping record indicates going to Husband, C.P.R Detective?

I am delighted to find these records of when they arrived in Canada but is there anything I can try to find where they lived in Canada, of their lives there, marriage records for the children, death records?

From Shipping records it looks like wife Alexandra Halliday probably traveled back to England in about July 1935 because on a shipping record she is returning to Canada arriving 26 October 1935 on the "Duchess of York", record indicates living in Canada July 1911 to July 1935.
Again she travels from Montreal to Liverpool on 28 May 1938 on the "Duchess of Bedford" giving her postal address in the UK as in Omagh.
Seems she return from Liverpool to Montreal aged 74 on 7 October 1938 on the "Duchess of Atholl", last address in UK Liverpool and indicates on the shipping record intended Permanent address - Canada.

As I say I am pleased to find this information but any help to fill the gaps of their time in Canada would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Colin Parkinson

AdeleE
17-01-2009, 9:35 PM
Looking at the passenger lists you referenced for Alexandra in 1911 and 1935, her destination is Montreal, Quebec.
There is an excellent free website featuring images of Lovell's Montreal Directory here:

http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/index.html

On the left sidebar, choose Montreal et sa Banlieue > Serie Principale > then choose a year > Alphabetical Directory > H > Ha. Snippets of pages will appear on the right hand side of the page. Click on the page you want & it will load in a new browser window.

You should be able to track your Thomas Halliday through the years as an occupation is listed, as well as the address.

Adele

AdeleE
17-01-2009, 11:05 PM
I believe your Thomas Halliday had two older sons as well. Thomas H Halliday born c1888 & William E Halliday born c1890?

The reference to an electrician on Thomas Halliday's passenger listing in 1911 means that he is going to Montreal to join his son who is an electrician. I don't know what 1 yr. means.

Thomas' son Thomas H can be found on the Automated Genealogy free website for the 1911 census of Canada:

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/View.jsp?id=117073&highlight=24

Click "split view" to see the page image. He's an electrician.

Father Thomas should appear somewhere on this census as well, but I can't find him yet.

Adele

BeeJay
18-01-2009, 12:57 AM
I agree with Adele, on the 1911 passenger list it looks like he was going to his son who was an electrician, and there is a check mark under the ‘No’ for ‘Have you lived in Canada before’.

I’ve had no luck either finding Thomas (born 1866) in the 1911 census.

I noticed that Alexandra was a widow by the time of her 1935 voyage.

:)

BeeJay
18-01-2009, 1:32 AM
I found the marriage of his son Albert. :)

United Church Hampstead, Montreal.
8 Oct 1932 Albert Halliday, bachelor, clerk, of full age son of Thomas Halliday and Alexandria Parkinson his wife of Liverpool England -- and Virginia May Weston, spinster, clerk, of full age daughter of Harry Jay Weston and Blanche Mireau his wife of Montreal were married by me ...

Albert, Virginia and Harry all signed the record.
I can send the image if you’d like.

It seems that Thomas and Alexandria were living in England at the time. I wonder if Thomas died there, between 1932 and 1935?

BeeJay
18-01-2009, 2:08 AM
There’s also the marriage of Thomas Herbert Halliday son of Thomas Halliday and Alexandra Selina Parkinson, 25 Feb 1914, St. George Anglican Church, Montreal.

This record is very faded and difficult to read but it looks to me like it says his father Thomas was ‘of Manchester England.’

The bride’s surname was Quinn but I can’t make out her first name, possibly Jeanette?

AdeleE
18-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Good finds BeeJay! I read Thomas' bride as Jeanette Glass Riddle Quinn, daughter of John Quinn and Jeanette Glass Riddle. Jeanette's name was a little clearer to me on the signature line.
Adele

AdeleE
18-01-2009, 11:41 AM
It seems that Thomas and Alexandria were living in England at the time. I wonder if Thomas died there, between 1932 and 1935?

I noticed that Alexandra was a widow by the time of her 1935 voyage.

I looked again at Alexandrea's 1935 passenger list as I hadn't notice the widow status.

Now I'm noticing that she declares that she has been in Canada from July 1911 to July 1935 and that her passport was issued in June 1935. This led me to think that she hadn't needed a passport previously to leave the country.

So I looked for an incoming ship to Great Britain between June & October 1935 and found 71 year old Mrs. Alexandra Halliday (indexed as Alexander Helliday) arriving on June 29 1935 at Liverpool from Montreal on the Duchess of York. Her country of permanent residence is Canada and she is going to 1 Woolton Road, Liverpool.

Adele

Colin Parkinson
18-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Thank you Adele & Beejay, the information & web sites given are most helpful. Adele, the Directory is a great aid, I have only had a quick look but need to sit down in a dark corner and check more thouroughly. However, in the 1922-23 Directory there appears a Mrs A Halliday wid of T nurse 19A Fourth Avenue Verdun. By 1926-27 the name is fuller, Mrs Alexandra Halliday widow T 360 Rielle Av Verdun and appears there until 1930-31 when no further trace following only a quick check. Perhaps when she returnd to Canada (in her mid-70s) she was living with her son. Anyway, looks like husband Thomas had died by 1922-23.

Just to clarify the Halliday family (father Thomas, wife Alexandra, Hilda & Albert) appear in the 1911 census for England, Thomas goes to Montreal a couple of weeks after census date and Alexandra follows three months later. In the 1901 census for England it does show 2 other sons, Thomas H (probably Herbert) born March qtr 1888 and William E born 1890 Middleton Lancashire. The Thomas born 1888 appears in the Automated census 1911 as the Electrician, details (born Feb 1888) all fit, interestingly I couldn't/can't find this entry on Anc.......co? The reference to 1 year on Thomas seniors shipping records perhaps indicate son (Thomas) had been in Canada 1 year?

Beejay, I have access to the Drouin collection on Anc......co, I have now found the marriage of Thomas jnr 1914 but the details that he is the son of Thomas & Alexandra are so faint I couldn't even guess the details. If you can send a copy as offered I would be grateful. My email address is colin AT cwsparkinson DOT co DOT uk

Thank you for everyone who has given help, I have learnt so much in just a couple of days and with so much to check hopeful of throwing some more light on this family. Incidentally, Alexandra (nee Parkinson) is the youngest sister of my great grandmother. Their father, William, was a soldier in the 43rd regiment of foot and served in Canada for nearly 9 years up to 1845. Also, I have just learnt another sister Adeliade Bulmer widow (nee Parkinson born 1859) also went to Montreal around the same time as her sister Alexandra, her son Archie Bulmer born 1891 appears in Canadian Attestation paper 1914 - mothers name Mrs Sallaway! With the new web site records given to me I shall enjoy finding out more of this branch of the family as well.
Thanks again.
Colin

brendaponting
20-01-2009, 3:29 AM
Hi Colin, I live in Verdun, on 5th ave, I would be happy to take pics of the addresses you list and send them to you if you like.

regards Brenda

Colin Parkinson
20-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Brenda,
Thank you for the offer of photographs. Please don't go to a lot of bother, there is no hurry and please only take a couple of photos, it will give me a feel for the district and a wonderful addition to my records.
Thank you again.
Adele,
Thank you for the information of Alexandra's arrival in Liverpool in June 1935, this should complete her comings & goings between Liverpool & Montreal. I will do a house search for the address 1 Woolton Road Liverpool in 1935, may have been a relation.
Regards.

Colin

Colin Parkinson
13-04-2009, 8:57 AM
Brenda,
I wonder if you have had a chance to take the photographs you kindly offered to take?
Colin.