PDA

View Full Version : He's a what??

Tinker
15-01-2009, 7:13 PM
Is there anybody who has any idea what on earth an 'Assistant SC and T' might be. One of my husband's ancestors, William Flanigan, has his occupation described as this in the 1911 census. If it's any help, he is boarding with a couple in Pulborough, Sussex and the husband is a 'Fitter.' In 1901 he is still at home with his family in Doncaster and is a Post Office Telegraph messenger, but the rest of his family are employees of the Great Northern Railway. Any suggestions welcomed!

arthurk
15-01-2009, 7:31 PM
I can't help with the abbreviation, but has the enumerator added a 3-digit code next to it? I've seen this on some entries, generally in red, and it gives a rough classification of the occupation. There's a list of the codes on the 1911 site - click on "about the 1911 census" in the top bar, and almost at the bottom of the links on the left there's one to Occupation Codes.

Arthur

AdeleE
15-01-2009, 11:50 PM
My guess would be Sorting Clerk & Telegrapher....or Sipher Clerk & Telegrapher if the enumerator doesn't know how to spell Cipher.
Adele

Nicolina
16-01-2009, 12:00 AM
S & T is a railway abbreviation for Signal and Telecommunications (still in use today). Not sure where the C comes into it.

Tinker
16-01-2009, 6:03 PM
Thanks to you all for your input. Arthurk, I only looked at the transcription, the originals being a bit pricey for my budget, and there were no codes shown on that, so unfortunately no help from that source, I'm afraid!

AdeleE and Nicolina, both your suggestions sound pretty good to me. I have to say, I initially didn't think there would be any railway connection in rural Pulborough, but surprise, surprise, there's a track running to the left of Pulborough (going roughly south/north) on modern maps. I should look to see when that line first came in to existence and which railway company it might have been in 1911. Signallers, Clerks and telegraphers would all be employed by the railway, I should think, and it makes sense to combine the jobs.

Elwyn Soutter
16-01-2009, 8:42 PM
In 1911, Pulborough was on the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway. Later became the Southern Region at the amalgamation on 1.1.1923.

Pulborough still has a station, on the line from Bognor to London. In 1911, there was also a branch from Pulborough to Midhurst which closed in the
1950s.

Elwyn

Tinker
17-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks for that very useful info on the railway, Elwyn. William must have travelled on it when he and his girl went off to get married in London in Jun Q 1919. Their firstborn arrived in Sep Q 1919, which explains why!

chrisj1961
17-01-2009, 2:16 PM
The birthplace code page is brilliant - I now know officially that my great great great grandad was born at sea, between Malta and Corfu :)

Thomasin
17-01-2009, 2:46 PM
So what did he put in censuses for a birthplace?!

Thomasin

Tinker
18-01-2009, 9:28 AM
I think I'm going to have a look at the original for my William, when my cash flow permits. The codes might enlighten me about his employer, amongst other things.

Bet you're pleased with your result, Chrisj1961!!:D

chrisj1961
18-01-2009, 1:19 PM
I think I'm going to have a look at the original for my William, when my cash flow permits. The codes might enlighten me about his employer, amongst other things.

Bet you're pleased with your result, Chrisj1961!!:D

At least I know now, which is better than before the 1911 census :)

chrisj1961
18-01-2009, 1:25 PM
So what did he put in censuses for a birthplace?!

Thomasin

He was born between 1853 and 1855, depending on what you are looking at (wedding certificate and most censuses say 1855, death certificate says 1853)

On the censuses it was put that he was born

1861 - Malta
1871 - not on census at all anywhere
1881 - Malta - Corpe (think this is probably Corfu as no such place as Corpe in Malta)
1891 - Malta
1901 - Mil Brit Subject

Nowhere does it say he was born at sea until 1911 census, not on Malta birth registers, not on Ionian peninsula registers, not on born at sea register.

crimea1854
18-01-2009, 2:06 PM
Chrisj1961

I don't know if you have already found it, but there is an extremely good Malta Family History website. Ok most of the indexes relate to the armed forces, but you might get lucky!!!

http://website.lineone.net/~stephaniebidmead/index.htm

Regards

Martin

chrisj1961
18-01-2009, 4:58 PM
Chrisj1961

I don't know if you have already found it, but there is an extremely good Malta Family History website. Ok most of the indexes relate to the armed forces, but you might get lucky!!!

http://website.lineone.net/~stephaniebidmead/index.htm

Regards

Martin

Thanks martin, I have tried that, even emailled the owner of the website to see where he got some information from regarding my gg grandad's father (on at least one other thread here so will not go into that one:) ) but his details aren't on there, and I agree, that site is really really informative.