PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Wickins lookup please

rwickins
15-01-2009, 1:16 AM
I am trying to find the birthdates of Thomas Wickins (b. sometime in the 1690s in Roade) and his wife, Anne (b. sometime in the 1690s in Roade). I am also interested in the date of their marriage as well (m. around 1715 in Roade or Ashton near Roade).

The rough information that I do have comes from the baptism and burial records of Ashton near Roade. Thomas and Anne had their first child in 1715 in Ashton near Roade (the baptism records state Thomas and Anne as originally of Roade parish). This leads me to believe that they were married in either 1715 or before, in Ashton near Roade or Roade parish. I would also assume that Thomas and Anne were born in the 1690s, but there is no absolute proof for this other than my hunch, of course. I know that Thomas died in 1730 and Anne died in 1738, both were buried in Ashton near Roade.

The Wickins surname seems to get confused quite often now that I have gotten so far back. Some different spellings I have seen for this family are: Wickens, Wickings, Wiggins, Wicken. So any of these five spellings may be my guy!

If anyone has access to the baptism and marriage records of Ashton near Roade and Roade parishes during these time periods, I would so greatly appreciate a look up on these dates. Thank you so much in advance for any help that you can provide! |hug|

Rachel

Pennie
17-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Hi Rachel ...

I have checked the Northants. Marriage Index (1700-1837) for the surnames WICKEN(S), WICKIN(S), WICKINGS and WIGGINS.

This is the only marriage for a Thomas around the right time:

05 JAN 1715 - Thomas WICKENS to Mary SCRIVENER at Easton Neston

All other marriages for a Thomas (any bride's name) are at least 20 years before or after this date. How certain are you of Thomas's wife's name?

Incidentally, Easton Neston is only a couple of miles from Roade (and the marriage was by licence).

Does this help at all?!?

Pennie

rwickins
17-01-2009, 1:53 PM
Hi Rachel ...

I have checked the Northants. Marriage Index (1700-1837) for the surnames WICKEN(S), WICKIN(S), WICKINGS and WIGGINS.

This is the only marriage for a Thomas around the right time:

05 JAN 1715 - Thomas WICKENS to Mary SCRIVENER at Easton Neston

All other marriages for a Thomas (any bride's name) are at least 20 years before or after this date. How certain are you of Thomas's wife's name?

Incidentally, Easton Neston is only a couple of miles from Roade (and the marriage was by licence).

Does this help at all?!?

Pennie

Pennie,

Thank you so much for having a look for me! All of your information has certainly helped.

I got the name Ann(e) from transcriptions of the baptism records of the children between her and Thomas, but now I am not so sure that is her name. There could have been a transcriber error or no marriage at all between Anne and Thomas. Or perhaps Mary and Ann(e) were really the same woman whose given name was MaryAnne? So many possibilities.

I really do love this hobby and the family members that I have found along the way but they sure do love to give me the run around! |5cups||laugh1|

And again, thank you for your help!

Rachel

rwickins
17-01-2009, 2:22 PM
I've just had a closer look now. I knew there were other Thomas' sprinkled around the area, so I did a little investigating. It turns out that a Thomas Wickens from Stoke Bruerne belongs to the Margaret Scrivener in question. However, Thomas and Margaret do not belong to me.

Back to looking for Anne, I suppose! |laugh1|