PDA

View Full Version : 1841 census lookup please Limehouse

Mick UK
09-02-2005, 6:40 PM
Tracing my GG/Grandfather, Thomas GODDARD.
I have just recieved his marriage certificate to Jane DOIDGE dated December 7th 1845 in the parish of St Anne Limehouse, unfortunately his residence at time of marriage is shown only as Limehouse and his Father also Thomas profession as Dead (Very Helpful :-) )
Hopefully in 1841 his Father was alive and kicking. young Thomas would have been 18 years old in 1841, in the 1851 census Thomas and Jane were living at No.1 Regent Street, it is possible that Father and son were living at this address in 1841.
Any information would be most greatly appreciated.
Mick UK

Mick UK
10-02-2005, 8:53 PM
Hi Mick,

Couldn't find any GODDARD family (or similar spelling) in the 1841 Census for 'Regent Street, Limehouse Causeway', but neither could I see them at No 1 Regent Street, Limehouse in the 1851 Census, which is where you state they were. Do you have the piece/folio numbers for your 1851 entry, perhaps, then I could check again that I'm looking at the correct 'Regent Street'? There was another 'Regent Street' in Stepney?

Happy to search again if you can clarify the situation for me.

Thanks for the offer, I'm getting quite confused about Regent Street. On my G/Grandfathers birth certificate it is shown as Poplar, on the copy of the 1851 census it is shown as Parish of All Saints Poplar borough of Tower Hamlet (Ref H.O.107 1556) and then on my GG/Grandfather marriage certificate its the Parish of St Anne Limehouse in the District of Stepney.
Hope this is of help.
Could you also let me know why Regent street seems to keep moving ?
I am looking at an old Ordnance Survey map 1870 which shows Regent Street running between Park Street and Limehouse Causeway which I thought was the correct place.
Again many thanks

Mick UK
12-02-2005, 2:54 PM
Thank you very much for the information.
I know from the 1851 census that young Thomas was born somewhere in Norfolk 1823. The first confirmed info I have is his marriage certificate 1845 at St Anne (Limehouse) I also know from this that old man Thomas was then dead, it's possible old Thomas never moved to London, it's also possible that Old & young Thomas were both still in Norfolk in 1841 but I have no way of checking this out without a town/village in Norfolk. I had hoped that young Thomas marriage certificate would help my search with an unusual Fathers name/profession. wouldnt life be so much easier if it had been Sampson/Lock keeper :-)
Looks like another brickwall, but thanks again for your your time and trouble.
Regards Mick UK

elldrick
14-02-2005, 1:12 PM
Hi Mick
Found the following entries on the All Saints Poplar church baptisms registers 1835 -1857. I don't know if they help in your search.
George Thomas Goddard (no d.o.b.given) parents Thomas and Jane, baptism date 23/09/1849 id no. 4222 entry no. 1067.
William Tompson Goddard d.o.b 25/04/1851. parents Thomas and Jane Sarah. baptism date 6/11/1851 id no 5060 entry no. 1897 in both cases the Father's occupation is listed as Railway Porter. Unfortunately the only address given is Poplar.
All Saints Church is only a stones throw from where the old railway was.

Good luck
elldrick

Mick UK
14-02-2005, 6:02 PM
Hi Elldrick

This is great as its' information I have not found, many thanks.
I did know that William had a brother George and older sister Frances born 1846/7.
Could I ask you to check for France's baptism and to confirm William's middle name as I have it as Sampson.
Thank you very much for your time and trouble.
Regards Mick UK

Jfremont
15-02-2005, 6:10 AM
Pardon my ignorance, Elldrick, but where did you access this record. Do you have your own CD?
Thank you
John

elldrick
15-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Hello again Mick,
Sorry no more entries in the All Saints register. Williams middle name clearly Tompson. However, there is an entry in the St Anne Limehouse church Baptisms register 1833-1854 for a Jane Sarah Goddard born 7//11//1846 baptised 31/01/1847. Parents listed as Thomas and Jane Sarah. Fathers occupation- porter. No address other than Limehouse listed. If this is the same family it looks as if they started in Limehouse and moved on to Poplar.

elldrick

elldrick
15-02-2005, 12:45 PM
Pardon my ignorance, Elldrick, but where did you access this record. Do you have your own CD?
Thank you
John

Hello jfremont
I have a set of docklands parish registers (baptisms only) on cd. They're called DOCKLAND ANCESTOR SERIES (http://www.parishchest.com/en-gb/dept_2274.html)and can be bought from the Docklands web site a good site to visit if you have dockland links. Hope this helps you.

elldrick

Jfremont
16-02-2005, 5:48 AM
Hi elldrick
Thanks for the information and the link. I will check them out.

John

Mick UK
17-02-2005, 7:09 PM
Hello Elldrick

Again many thanks for this information, it does look like the older sister and that they did move from Limehouse, I have her name as Frances from the 1851 census, How should I deal with this ?
I know first born sons were named after the father, but what are your thoughts on the first born girl being named exactly the same as the mother.
I have William's birth certificate which clearly shows his middle name as Sampson, which by the way is his mothers fathers name, bad hand writing could easily account for the change from Sampson to Tompson, but Frances to Jane Sarah seems way off.
Many thanks for you time and trouble.
Regards Mick UK

elldrick
19-02-2005, 5:11 PM
Sorry Mick I've been out of action for a few days'
I think many parents did name their first born children after themselves girls as well as boys. I'ts certainly the case in my own family tree for 5 generations and this can be quite confusing, especially when one child dies and another is given the same name.

Do you have a birth cert. for Frances? It may have been the name she was known by in the family. Personally I would search for their birth registration, But I'm sure someone with more knowledge of researching will give you better advice.

I know it costs to view but 1837 online now has the 1861 census for person or address. It might help to see if both Frances and Jane Sarah are both listed.

happy hunting
elldrick

Mick UK
19-02-2005, 10:02 PM
Hello elldrick

Thanks for the information and the link. I will check it out.

Regards Mick UK