PDA

View Full Version : John Giles tomlinson

mama-mia39
12-01-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm trying to trace our great grandfather John Giles Tomlinson. He was born in 1828 but I dont know where and he must have been well educated because he was a schoolmaster possibly at Lovedale School, in Bangalore. I have searched everywhere but dont know where to go next. I have looked at FIBIS, thats where I found his marriage to Sarah Boreham in 1856, and found that his father also had the same name. I contacted the British Library and they have kindly forwarded a photocopy of the marriage details form the church records, where this information comes from, but I cant seem to get any information about Lovedale School in Bangalore, nor can I find out when he went to India, or whether he was born there. I have found his daughter's birth details (Kate Elizabeth) and there were 3 other girls, all born in Bangalore. Now, please, has anyone got any ideas? It would be great if I could find some new threads in my search.

michaelpipe
12-01-2009, 12:47 PM
If you Google for "Lovedale School" it will come up with several sites for Lawrence School Lovedale, which is synonymous.

Watch out, though, as the actual school site appears to be a risky one to visit at present - you may need to leave it for a while, but the Wikipedia site does have some info.

Michael

michaelpipe
12-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Watch out, though, as the actual school site appears to be a risky one to visit at present - you may need to leave it for a while, but the Wikipedia site does have some info.

Michael

This link appears to be OK
http://www.lovedale.org/

Michael