PDA

View Full Version : RC solennization of civil marriage

James E Cox
11-01-2009, 9:10 PM
I am seeking evidence that a RC marriage was recorded at some time to one
perfomed in the Liverpool registery office 24th Dec 1884 to John Earley age 21
and Christina Matson both born in Ireland and residing a street apart from each other, Portland and Bond st,s in close proximity to Our Lady of Reconciliation church on Eldon St. Are records from the numerous RC churches from that area of town archived and searchable. Jim in Poway California.

Marie C..
11-01-2009, 9:15 PM
If the marriage was at a registry office it would not be recognised as an RC marriage by the church.
A Roman Catholic marriage would have to take place at a Roman Catholic church with a regstrar present. M

Astoria
11-01-2009, 9:21 PM
http://www.freewebs.com/eldonmemww1/

James E Cox
11-01-2009, 9:39 PM
I am seeking evidence that a RC marriage was recorded at some time to one
perfomed in the Liverpool registery office 24th Dec 1884 to John Earley age 21
and Christina Matson both born in Ireland and residing a street apart from each other, Portland and Bond st,s in close proximity to Our Lady of Reconciliation church on Eldon St. Are records from the numerous RC churches from that area of town archived and searchable. Jim in Poway California.

To Marie C. Re your response first line is the reason for my inquiy.
Re the second line. The requirement of the registar is only
required for church wedding of a new bride and groom. To have a civil
marriage recorgnized by the church does not the registrar.

Marie C..
11-01-2009, 9:46 PM
Liverpool Family history society has copies of some marriage records of the church of Our Lady of Reconcilliation in Eldon Rd and of others so they may do a look up for you. M

Wirral
11-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Are records from the numerous RC churches from that area of town archived and searchable.
Yes, some of them are. See this site by Patrick Neill
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hibernia/mar/ind.htm
Unfortunately the marriage of your couple does not appear.
The site has links to lots of other useful sites for those researching RC ancestors in the Liverpool area.
Was it perhaps a mixed marriage? That could be why it did not take place in church.

G.V.Ford
12-01-2009, 2:32 AM
If there was a convalidation in a Catholic church it would only be recorded in an "unofficial" register at the church. A note should have been sent to the (Catholic) churches where the parties were baptised and should have been noted against the baptismal entries.

A request for a search could be made to the church where you think convalidation might have occurred or an approach could be made to the baptismal churches (the incumbents would not be bound to undertake it - ie no fixed fee etc). In all cases the records may no longer exist.

Regards
Geoff

James E Cox
12-01-2009, 2:40 AM
Thank you, Wirral. You have given me food for thought. I had never considered
the possibility of it being a mixed marriage, because all the children were raised
RC We have the baptism in Waterford for Christina but none found for John.
He died at the Seamans home over on your side of the stream. Will have to check if their records had religion noted. It would be so useful if death certs gave such on Birkenhead Vol 8a page 628 2nd qtr 1932 or some indication on
the birth cert of the first born Bridget Liverpool 8b page 16 Dec 1886
Jim ttfn.

Izzycat
14-01-2009, 7:33 AM
It was, and still is, possible to have marriages between Roman Catholics & non RC in church. Permission has to be granted from the bishop and the non Catholic partner has to agree to raise any children as Roman Catholics & not to do anything to prevent the partner & any children from practising their faith.
It is a bit a of a hassle & maybe your couple did not want to go down that line, didn't have the time to do it or the bishop did not agree to the marriage.

TriciaDM
23-01-2009, 10:34 AM
My parents married in an RC church ~ mixed RC & Protestant.

Church of England vicars are also registrars (well, usually, anyway).

Many RC priests are not registrars, so a registrar also has to be present at the wedding.

In France, they have two marriages ~ a civil one and a church one.

I think that this is what happened with my Irish RC ancestors in Wales.

I cannot believe that they didn't have Roman Catholic weddings, but the records show Register office marriages.

I think that they would have followed up the official civil ceremony with a church ceremony.

This is what I am guessing ~ I haven't followed it up, yet, though :(