PDA

View Full Version : List of Surgeons

kermie62
11-01-2009, 3:18 AM
I have two tie ins to the Strutt family through marriage and this has been of gtreat assistance in helping to find my particular family. One of them traveled from London to Sydney in 1837 ish and died in 1840 and his death certificate lists him as a surgeon and his wfe is later described as the relict of Joseph Strutt MD. Is there a register or records of doctors/surgeons.

Procat
11-01-2009, 4:42 AM
There is The Medical Register.

Ancestry has them for the period 1859 - 1959. Too late for your time period unfortunately.

There is a note about the Data Base stating it was provided in association with the General Medical Council. However their web site provided nothing useful.

I tried searching the U.K. National Archives site without success - but I am not the best at finding things on that site.

kermie62
11-01-2009, 7:25 AM
Thanks for the response doug

I have had no luck myself but I feel there must have been some organisation somewhere keeping track and protecting thier monopoly

Colin Moretti
11-01-2009, 9:41 AM
There are numerous published lists of surgeons, notably Plarr's Lives of the fellows of the Royal College of Surgeons of England which contains brief biographies and List of the members fellows and licentiates in midwifery of the Royal College of Surgeons (1825-1864) published by the College. The former should be available through all good reference libraries; I'm not sure about availability of the latter but if all else fails perhaps a letter/email to the RCS might suffice. There are others.

There are also Roll of the Royal College of Physicians (William Munk to 1825 and then G H Brown 1826-1925).

There are also online resources, see the RCS (http://www.rcseng.ac.uk/library/services/familyresearch.html)website.

Of course this assumes he qualified in England, no doubt similar material is available for the RCS of Edinburgh.

Colin