PDA

View Full Version : Croucher marriage

debbi2k
09-02-2005, 1:38 PM
Hello to all on the Kent board.

I am trying to find who married Mahahla Croucher(born Sittingbourne 1876) as she becomes a Jewhurst by 1901 but I just cant find her marriage and her husband is not with her on 1901.

Also her father is called Elisha and he married a Elizabeth or Eliza in Kent but I cant find this marriage either.

Can anyone help?

Debbi

busyglen
09-02-2005, 3:02 PM
Here's Elisha Debbie, :)

359, 1861, 07/06 Sittingbourne

CROUCHER, Elijha (27) Labourer son of Elijha (Waterman)
PERFECT, Eliza (19) daur. of William, Labourer
Witnesses: John Perfect & Sarah Perfect.

Sorry, but my resources don't go as far as Mahahla. :(

Glenys

Trish
09-02-2005, 3:20 PM
Hello to all on the Kent board.

I am trying to find who married Mahahla Croucher(born Sittingbourne 1876) as she becomes a Jewhurst by 1901 but I just cant find her marriage and her husband is not with her on 1901.

Also her father is called Elisha and he married a Elizabeth or Eliza in Kent but I cant find this marriage either.

Can anyone help?

DebbiMahahla -- that's an interesting name.

There are two civil registration index listings for the marriage of an Elisha CROUCHER. The first is in the December quarter of 1877 in Milton, Kent but, unfortunately, the bride's name is not given. The second is in 1882, also in the December quarter, also in Milton. Possible bride is Maria BELTON.

I don't see any possibilities in the index for Mahahla CROUCHER's marriage to a JEWHURST, however, there is a marriage for a Mahahla JEWHURST in 1902 in the September quarter in Milton. Possible grooms are Herbert Edward HEBBES and Earnest John SAWKINGS.

Do you have the information on Mahahla from the 1891 census? She's 14 years old and living with her father and brother in Aylesford, Kent. I can give you the details if you don't already have them.

I note from the 1901 census that Mahahla's mother-in-law is Jane JEWHURST. In the 1871 census, she is 30 years old and living with her husband, James, and family -- 6 daughters -- in Rye, Sussex. Her son, Mahahla's husband -- must have been born after 1871.

But, I think this may be the same family in 1891: Jane remarried and living in Icklesham, Sussex with her husband John TILLMAN, one daughter and 3 sons: James W. JEWHURST, 15 years old, Frederick, 13 and John T., 11. One of these sons is probably Mahahla's future husband. Again, let me know if you want the details.

Hope this all helps.
Trish

Trish
10-02-2005, 1:33 AM
Debbi,

Further to my earlier message, you may have a good shot at correctly guessing Mahahla's husband by looking up the JEWHURST brothers in the 1901 census.

Frederick JEWHURST, 23 is there with his wife Mary, 19, living in Rye Sussex. Also living with them is Frederick's older brother, James W. JEWHURST, 25. James is listed as single. Both are fishermen.

Their younger brother, John T. JEWHURST, who would be about 21, is not listed that I can see. Census transcriptions are not error-free so he may be there somewhere. But consider that Mahahla's husband may have died by the time of the census and she was wrongly listed as "wife" and was actually a very young widow. This all fits with a death listing in the civil registration index for a John Tertius JEWHURST. He died aged 22 in the June quarter of 1901 in the district of Hastings in Sussex.

Let me know what you think...

Trish