PDA

View Full Version : French Resistance

Browneyes
09-01-2009, 11:45 AM
I'm trying to find online historical documents relating to women in the French Resistance. Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thankyou.

Browneyes x

Jan1954
09-01-2009, 6:36 PM
Have you seen this article (http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~epf/1994/resist.html)?

Penny Gallo
10-01-2009, 11:51 AM
http://www.violette-szabo-museum.co.uk/foyer.htm seems to have some external links as well as the information given about Violette herself. Good luck with your research: do you have a family connection?

Browneyes
10-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Thank you so much for your help.

I am writing a fictional story where the main character is trying to find out about her mothers death and it's lead her to certain information concerning people, particularly women, in the French Resistance. I am researching carefully because I think it's important that it is based on fact.

I'm discovering just how many women were involved, both in the forefront and behind the scenes. Imagine, for example, how many women there were who supported husbands who were resistance men...perhaps just by lying for them, feeding people or burning sensitive information to prevent their capture. Or children who helped. They weren't documented heroes or heroines.

The more I research the more determined I am to give them a 'voice' in history.

I hope it's ok that I posted the question?
Browneyes x

leonardpiggin
18-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Hello Browneye
Have you heard of Yvonne Halsey.
She was born in France,Boulogne I believe ,with an English father and was working in Paris at the outbreak of war and went back to England .In england she was recruited for missions in France being parachuted in France and on one mission was captured and tortured in Paris before being freed by maquis
after the war she worked in the International telephone Exchange in Faraday.She was still working there when I left in1976.I believe she died lately .She was well known for her charity work and I saw often in City Road taking old people to the Eye Hospital.She was also involved in taking people to Lourdes .She spoke six languages and used her old contacts in France to bypass red tape.Well thats about all I know.I tried to find info on national archives with no joy but thats no surprise as I dont seem to get anywhere with them. Len

Geoffers
18-03-2009, 1:25 PM
TNA has a podcast (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/rss/podcasts.xml?homepage=fom-podcasts)which might be useful. Click on the link and then use the 'edit' and 'find' facility to look for - French resistance

or go to TNA's web-site and just do a search on 'French resistance'

Browneyes
18-03-2009, 9:03 PM
Len and Geoffers. |hug|

Len: There's a very interesting article about Yvonne on the dioceseofmenevia.org site. (News, page 2) What a wonderful woman.

Geoffers: Podcast on SOE/French Resistance/D.Day was very informative - highly recommended for anyone who has ancestors in France during WWII and is interested in the activities going on during that time.