PDA

View Full Version : Co Cavan Family

Hugh Thompson
09-01-2009, 7:15 AM
I am helping my cousin with her maternal side but they are all from N Ireland,|help|and I'm totally out of my depth when it comes to Ireland.:confused:
Does anyone have them in their family?
Thanks for any help you might give.Hugh.:)
Their names are.
Robert Gwynne,b.abt 1800 in Kroghan Co Cavan,married Ann Montgomery,b.1804 Kroghan Co Cavan,they married March 1826 N Ireland.
Alexander John McCullagh,b.abt.1830 in Donny Horragh or Denihora,Co Down,married abt,1851 in Warren Pt to Anna Munro,b abt.1829 Warren Pt, Co Down N Ireland.

Elwyn Soutter
10-01-2009, 10:15 AM
High,

You might be able to track your family in the 1851 census for NI. Though the main census records were destroyed, copies were kept for pension assessment purposes. The NI copies are at the Public Record Office in Belfast. Have a look at their website. (If looking for any records for Co Cavan, they'll be in Dublin as that County is in the Republic of Ireland).

You might also look up Gfiffiths Valuation to see if this lists any Gwynne relatives that you are interested in. Try www.
failteromhat.com. Griffiths Valuation was a survey of Ireland in the mid 1800s, used primarily for taxation purposes, but it listed households, named the householders and listed their property.

Hugh Thompson
10-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks very much for that Elwyn,we'll have a look and see what we can come up with,I'm helping my cousin Fiona with her search (she has just joined Brit Gen)as I said before Ireland is a mystery to me as I've never had to do any searching there before although I have an idea that my Duggan ancestors would surely be from somewhere in Ireland but they were in the british army for several generations in the early 1800's West Indies and Greece so I've put off giving myself a headache looking for them at the moment.
Thanks again,Hugh.:)

Elwyn Soutter
10-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Hugh,

You mentioned 3 Irish place names: Kroghan, Cavan. The modern spelling is Crohan or Croghan, and it is a townland near Virginia, Co Cavan.

Warren Pt is a medium sized town in Co Down now spelled Warrenpoint.

Donny Horragh or Denihora doesn't sound right. There is no such place as far as I know. If it appears in records in Australia I would guess that someone has probably had a go at spelling it as it sounded. There is a townland of Donaghguy just outside Warrenpoint. That's one possibility. Also a few miles away near Annalong, Co Down is the townland of Moneydorragh which I have a hunch might be "Donny Horragh" slightly misunderstood.

A townland is an Irish term (I think it's a subdivision of a parish), and would be used widely to this day for postal and other purposes.

Hope that helps if you end up doing detailed research in Ireland.

Elwyn

Hugh Thompson
11-01-2009, 1:45 AM
Thanks Elwyn,the Griffiths Valuation site looks promising,found a few that could belong.
Hugh.:)

FionaThompsonSchrier
11-01-2009, 8:37 AM
Hi Elwyn

Many thanks for that useful info. I am Hugh's cousin who he put the post up for. I seem to be online ok now. So will investigate all you have mentioned.

The mispronunciations sounds like a case of Aussies without a clue hey?!

Best wishes, Fiona (Brisbane, Australia).

FionaThompsonSchrier
11-01-2009, 10:43 PM
hi again Elwyn
I have found reference on PRONI website to a locality called Denihora in Armagh. This will take some untangling!

Elwyn Soutter
11-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Fiona,

That's odd. I Googled "Denihora plus Armagh" and got nothing at all (save for your own post).

My wife is a law searcher and has a fairly comprehensive knowledge of Irish townlands and other place names from her professional work. She has never heard of Denihora. She'll check at work tomorrow in her reference books.

The spelling doesn't really fit comfortably with normal Irish place name spelling rules, and so it doesn't feel right.

Armagh is of course between Cavan and Down so it's in the right general area for your ancestors.

I'll let you know if we come up with any ideas.

Elwyn

FionaThompsonSchrier
12-01-2009, 2:06 AM
Hi Elwyn
http://
applications.proni.gov.uk/Freeholders/DetailedSearchResults.aspx?VolumeNo=8&PageNo=12&LineNum=69&Result=1

this was the 'freeholders' link on proni where it came up. 'street or townland' was the description.

Elwyn Soutter
12-01-2009, 7:49 PM
Fiona,

Found it. Nowadays it is called Dinnahorra, and is a part of Mullaghbrack parish, which is just north of Markethill in Co Armagh.

Looking at the map I see it is essentially rural. Dinnahorra is noted for a ruined early Christian Rath (fort). That'll likely be a vaguely circular pile of earth, with a couple of stones sticking out.And a sheep grazing in the middle. County Armagh is apple growing country. Lots of cider comes from there.

Google Dinnahorra townland and you'll get the various references.

Elwyn

FionaThompsonSchrier
12-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Wonderful, thanks Elwyn. Regards, Fiona

shhund
12-01-2009, 10:36 PM
Hello from the Netherlands.I spotted the name of Thompson spelt as our family spells it.I'm searching for my g.g.g. about grandfather ,born in Ireland about 1796.His son and grandson were both called Edward.Son Edward * 1820 abt.in Ireland moved at some point to Scotland,(Campsie)where he met and married Margaret Clarke.Her Father was Robert Clarke and her mother was Isabella Young.Both*abt 1796 as far as we can make out , both from Ireland.They had two daughters,Margaret and Isabella ,also two sons James and William.There may have been more children . Begin 1840 they moved to Hulme , Manchester and Robert seems to be everywhere and nowhere.We , my sister and I have also got stuck with regards to the Irish part as we have no Irish place names to go on at all,seeing as all the census only reg . Ireland but nothing else.I know it is a longshot but maybe someone can shed some light as to how we can proceed.Good luck with your searches! |help| |banghead|

FionaThompsonSchrier
14-01-2009, 11:34 PM
You could try a search of 'edward thompson', on this website, might give you some ideas of what countie's/townlands men of that name were found in! would be a longshot though.

www.
failteromhat.com/griffithsall.php

Strangford
19-01-2009, 11:23 PM
High Hugh I found an entry for a Alexander McCulla, aged 20, son of Alexander McCulla married Anna Munro, aged 19 daughter of Hector Munro. The marriage date was 18 November 1851.

http://
freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/Mc/McCullough.htm

Hugh Thompson
20-01-2009, 12:22 AM
Thanks Jane, I've emailed my cousin Fiona who is also on this thread as it concerns her maternal side of the family so I'll let her get back to you.
Hugh.:)

FionaThompsonSchrier
20-01-2009, 3:28 AM
Gday Jane

Yes that's my GG Grandfather & GG Grandmother. Interesting to note the spelling differences again.

And thank you for the link to that very useful site.

When I went to the link, the text I could see did not mention the 'daughter of Hector Munro' part, it only displayed as, "son of Alexander McCulla ; aged 20 married Anne Munro 18 Nov 1851". It also referred to her as Anne not Anna.

Perhaps there is another section you were looking at which has similar info, although I did go to the link you provided?:confused:

Regards, Fiona:)
Brisbane

FionaThompsonSchrier
20-01-2009, 4:12 AM
Gday Jane
I figured it out! I went to the index and looked under Munro, and found the rest of the info.
Thanks again, Fiona

Hugh Thompson
20-01-2009, 4:58 AM
I've just had a look,that's a really good site Jane.:)
Hugh.

AlexMcCulla
16-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Just started some family research myself and interested to see you've found a Markethill connection. My grandfather was born in Keady just a few miles frm Markethill. He moved to Scotland as a young child. McCulla is still a relatively uncommon name so I suspect there has to be a link there and as you can see I've got a family first name so all the more likely!

Regards

Alex McCulla

FionaThompsonSchrier
17-02-2009, 1:15 AM
Hi Alex
Wow this is really interesting hey? I am particularly ignorant about towns & places in 'your neck o the woods', and what sort of distances people might easily have travelled and still be part of the same family.

I will be watching with great interest to see what you are able to uncover about your family, and if we have any relatives in common. How very exciting!

So far I have found our McCullagh's spelt also like your McCulla & McCullogh. Do keep me posted on what you find - I seem to have reached a bit of an impasse, not being terribly experience in matters relating to researching Irish/N Irish family history.

Regards, Fiona

AlexMcCulla
17-02-2009, 9:39 PM
I'm planning a trip to Ireland in the next few months to do some research so I'll let you know if I find anything of interest. So far I can track back to a William McCulla and a John McCulla both of whom were born in the late 18th century the former living in a farm at Drumderg which I think is on outskirts of Keady. John McCulla lived in Markethill I believe. I suspect he might be the grandfather, at least, of the Alexander you mentioned who married in 1851? The area is still rural with Keady having a population of 2k or so. Markethill is smaller with a population of c. 1200. Markethill's most famous resident was probably Jonathan Swift, author of Gulliver's Travels, who spent some time there between 1726 and 1730. Hope that that helps give you some feel for the place. As I say I'll happily update once I've been back there.