PDA

View Full Version : Reading old will..

annebagby
08-01-2009, 5:43 PM
I am trying to read a will from 1787. It isn't as bad as I expected it to be but I don't know what one letter is.

Some places in the will the letter looks like fancy 2 in another place it looks like an O with a diagonal slash through it.

It is also the beginning of the daughter's name. so it can look like 2rary or Orary. It is defintely not a M.

Any ideas?

busyglen
08-01-2009, 6:33 PM
Could you give us a couple of words either side so that we may be able to get an idea of the context?

Glenys

Colin Moretti
08-01-2009, 6:53 PM
...Some places in the will the letter looks like fancy 2 in another place it looks like an O with a diagonal slash through it. ...

Any ideas?It sounds like Q to me. Can you post an image of a few lines with the text in question?

Colin

MythicalMarian
08-01-2009, 7:30 PM
Or if you give us the letters following it, we may be able to hazard a guess at the name.

Stupid me - I saw you've done that already, Anne!

Geoffers
08-01-2009, 10:13 PM
I am trying to read a will from 1787. It isn't as bad as I expected it to be but I don't know what one letter is.
Some places in the will the letter looks like fancy 2 in another place it looks like an O with a diagonal slash through it.
It is also the beginning of the daughter's name. so it can look like 2rary or Orary. It is defintely not a M.

What you describe as 'Or' and more especially '2r' - as a first opinion sounds to me like a capital M which in the second half of the 18th century could be written in quite an elaborate manner.

Would you be able to post an image of the whole word - better still a couple of lines?