PDA

View Full Version : IGI evolving

Ms Tarfgi
07-01-2009, 10:20 AM
This is probably a silly question, but is the IGI still evolving, or has all the work on it been done now? i.e. is it worth going back to it from time to time to look for new info?

michaelpipe
07-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Transcriptions and member contributions are added continually.

Michael

Ms Tarfgi
07-01-2009, 1:33 PM
Thanks Michael.

I was looking yesterday for a potentially interesting result that I'd found when I first started researching. I hadn't taken down the details |scold| but when I searched yesterday I couldn't find it. Presumably it was a dodgy piece of info and has been removed. That started me wondering about how much the info changes these days.

Peter Goodey
07-01-2009, 3:09 PM
Presumably it was a dodgy piece of info and has been removed.

Not necessarily. Perfectly good data gets removed from the IGI.

That is to say it disappears as a "controlled extraction" entry (reasonably trustworthy) and appears as a "patron submission" (untrustworthy).

It is doubtful whether the overall value of the IGI to serious genealogists is increasing. It needs to be used with great caution taking into account all the caveats which can be found in other threads on this site.

Colin Moretti
07-01-2009, 6:47 PM
There are major changes afoot, see this pilot site (http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=0)

Colin

MarkJ
07-01-2009, 9:49 PM
I block ANYTHING which moves, flashes, plays tunes at me or in any other way slows down the page loading or constantly distracts my eyes ;)

Do you remember the old days, before such stuff when a 14.4 k modem was more than ample? A lot of website designers seem to have the impression that adding flash or other twaddle makes their site irresistable to all - but I find it does the opposite for me.

Yes, Flash (and javascript and all the other "cool" stuff) can enhance a page if done well - but I can't think of many sites where it does so.

</rant> (geeky pretend html tag meaning "end of rant" )

Mark ;)

Peter Goodey
09-01-2009, 1:08 PM
It's another part of the FamilySearch site. It is not part of the IGI, which was what the questioner asked about.

racing girl
09-01-2009, 5:37 PM
Annie
It's very useful information pertaining to scanned original records, for example, the Durham/Northumberland Bishops Transcripts are there to view for free, and some Cheshire information. Other countries are also represented, don't know to what extent as I haven't needed to look!

Brenda

racing girl
09-01-2009, 5:38 PM
</rant> (geeky pretend html tag meaning "end of rant" )

Mark ;)

Ah, but you didn't start your <rant>, so your post would have shown up with errors... |biggrin|

Brenda

Aislin
09-01-2009, 7:22 PM
I took a look at the link you posted. I'll add to the rant. More fleecing. At this rate even the lint will be gone from my pockets.

Colin Moretti
09-01-2009, 7:43 PM
It's only the census images that you have to pay for (as they are supplied by fmp it's perhaps not surprising) the rest, eg Cheshire PRs, Durham BTs, seem fully accessible at no charge.

Colin