PDA

View Full Version : Boarding School in East Hardwick, Pontefract,

ELRYDER
06-01-2009, 10:44 PM
In 1861 my maternal g-grandfather Samuel Edmund Law was shown on the England Census (Class RG9; Piece 3437;Folio 29; Page 14) as attending a Boarding School in East Hardwick, Pontefract, Yorkshire.
I am trying to identify the School which appears to be a small one - and is not listed by name in the Census Record.

Reading the Census Record it shows that the school was on Town St, East Hardwick at # 27.

The record shows that #12 Town St. was a farmhouse, # 15 was Traveller's Inn, then at #27 is "Boarding School"

I have contacted Ackworth School in Pontefract and they have no trace of Samuel Law attending that school, but the Burser did mention that a small school operated in East Hardwick which had some affiliation with the Society of Friends but had no further information on it.
I would appreciate hearing from anyone who could help. Thanks

*bunty*
06-01-2009, 11:40 PM
I checked the description of the enumeration district for East Hardwick, because this is sometimes quite detailed. This one however, wasn't. There was an amusing stick figure that the enumerator had drawn there though |laugh1|. I tried Googling the schoolmater's name and didn't come up with anything either. Off to work the angles and think of another approach :).

*bunty*
07-01-2009, 12:03 AM
In 1871 the school is not named; in 1881 it isn't named either. It seems the assistant schoolmaster Samuel Slack, from 1861, is now the schoolmaster. By 1891 there is a girls school there named Granville House. The boys boarding school finally has a name - wait for it - East Hardwick Boys Boarding School.

ELRYDER
07-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Bunty:
Thanks very much for your reply - I hadn't looked at the Census for the following time periods '71 / '81 /'91 as I was obviously too focussed on what I couldn't find - so didn't sit back and check subsequent years. |oopsredfa
...I'm learning ....slowly !!
One interesting name that came to light is Samuel Slack- going from assistant teacher to school master.
because my g grandmother was Bertha Slack - Samuel Law and Bertha married in 1869. I have checked her on Census and Birth records and can verify her father was John Slack - but I am going to check if there is any connection. More work to do !!
Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks again.

*bunty*
07-01-2009, 2:52 AM
No worries, nice to be in first in helping. You have to be fast around here ;).

I found this on the Net. It seems to be a Lords sitting, addressed in 1908. It has particular relevance to what we now know is East Hardwick Boarding School. You might get some information from it.

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/lords/1908/may/19/east-hardwick-west-riding-school

Do post back here if you have a connection with Samuel SLack - just out of my own interest :). I see Samuel Slack's son Samuel took over as schoolmaster (he was in place by 1901).

*bunty*
07-01-2009, 3:43 AM
OK, I promise I will leave you alone after this one little snippet of information |biggrin|. The Wakefield Council has free historic maps online, so I located East Hardwick. It has a photo of the old school (you click on the pink dots which are historic places of interest). If you PM me your email address, I will send you the link to the maps and the actual photo. It also says this about the school:

The school was built in 1660 and threatened with closure from 1979 onwards. It finally closed summer 1986 and was bought by a private buyer. Today the building is unused and derelict.

Shame. It is a beautiful building (well I think so anyway, but then I come from a country with very few historic and interesting buildings!).

ELRYDER
07-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Did you get my p m with my email address re. photo of school?
Thanks

ELRYDER
07-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Oops.....Sorry I sent that twice!!

goldie88
17-02-2011, 2:20 PM
At one time this was a Roman Catholic private boarding school. a boy/girl boarding schools that is built for the poor children. Sadly the school in the village was closed in 1986.

ELRYDER
18-02-2011, 5:01 AM
Hi Goldie:
Thanks for your posting in this thread - do you have any idea of the time frame for the RC boarding school ? Was it after 1900's ?
Thank you

helachau
18-02-2011, 9:14 PM
The Leeds Mercury 17 July 1858 carries the following advert -
"Boarding School East Hardwicke, near Pontefract - conducted by Mr Lord of the University of London, who will be happy to forward a prospectus, with testimonials, to any address. The pupils reassemble on the 20th July"

By 16 June 1860 it reads
"COMMERCIAL SCHOOL EAST HARDWICK, near Pontefract
It is presumed that parents desirous of conferring a really good education on their sons, cannot better do it than by placing them in the above school.
The subjects taught are of essential importance to the 'professional' and business man and the mode of instruction is calculated to remove from early education the distastefulness with which it is commonly invested.
Terms from 22 Guineas per annum. Prospectus &c may be had from Mr K (?) Lord"

By 1868 Mr Lord was advertising that the school numbers had increased from 23 to 102 pupils over 10 1/2 years. By 1884 the principals were E Lord and S Slack. The school was variously advertised "Mr Lord's School, "East Hardwicke Academy", "Boarding School", "Commercial School"

A Girls' Boarding School East Hardwick began to be advertised around 1865, conducted by Miss Slack. Later a Miss Sutcliffe and later again Mrs and Miss Slack headed the school.

ELRYDER
24-02-2011, 2:36 AM
Dear helachau:
Thank you for the very interesting piece of information from the Leeds Mercury in 1858 - this really helps to 'fill out' the picture of the boarding school my g grandfather attended.

Any idea if the Leeds Mercury has any archives on line? ( I will have a search after logging off from the B-G Forum)

I appreciate your assistance.

helachau
25-02-2011, 9:50 AM
Elryder,

Have sent you a PM re access to the Leeds Mercury

LindyRH
12-08-2011, 12:29 PM
I have the Day Book and account book for East Hardwick school 1865.
These list all the purchases for the school and all the profit and loss.
These include food, cloth, books etc, who sent what and where from and the various taxes paid.

If anyone needs more info let me know.

ELRYDER
13-08-2011, 2:56 PM
Haloo LindyRH

I found your post interesting....as you can see I started this thread becuase my maternal grt.grandfather attended East Hardwick school.

I would think that the Day and Account books could provide information on the daily management of the boarding school in the 1800s.....I'd like to know more about the records.

Thanks

peterhargreaves
21-09-2011, 3:00 PM
To my knowledge there have been 3 schools in East Hardwick
A Roman Catholic boarding school, which is now a family house and is known as 'Old School House, Doncaster Road, East Hardwick, Pontefract, West Yorks.

East Hardwick Academy, of which only a circular boarder remains, I do have a copy of a print of this.

The Stephen Cawood, Church of England Junior and Infant School, Darrington Road, East Hardwick, Pontefract. This closed in 1986.

Holyoak
31-08-2013, 6:46 PM
Hi Elryder, I am researching East Hardwick Academy as I have some letters from boys there dated 1860-1863, beautifully written in exquisite Copperplate handwriting. I want to either find out more about the school or the boys, surname Knowles. I wondered if you had found out anything else in your search? The letters mention Mr Lord, the Principal, so it's definitely the same school and there is even a picture, very detailed, on the letterhead of one of the letters. Hope to hear from you.

Holyoak
31-08-2013, 6:48 PM
Hi, I am researching East Hardwick Academy as I have some letters from boys there dated 1860-1863, beautifully written in exquisite Copperplate handwriting. I want to either find out more about the school or the boys, surname Knowles. I wondered if you had found out anything else in your search? The letters mention Mr Lord, the Principal, so it's definitely the same school and there is even a picture, very detailed, on the letterhead of one of the letters. Hope to hear from you.

helachau
01-09-2013, 11:32 AM
The Bradford Observer, 9 June 1859 - "....East Hardwick Academy, near Pontefract, formerly conducted by the Rev B Greenwood....".

1851 Census (HO107 2330 26 3)
Bernard Greenwood, Head, Marr, 65, Incumbent of East Hardwick, b. Haworth, Yorkshire + family + staff + boarders

helachau
01-09-2013, 11:58 AM
In Dec 1857 the Academy was being advertised "..... Conducted by Mr E Lord of the University of London, under the able superintendence of the Rev B. Greenwood B.A. ....."

The 1851 Census (HO107 1306 7/46 14) has B ernard Greenwood, age 50, Clergyman and Schoolmaster at Harley School, Halifax

helachau
01-09-2013, 1:04 PM
The earliest mention I can find is under "Historical Directories" http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/findbykeyword.asp

Directory of Leeds, Bradford .....1854
ACADEMIES
*take boarders

*Greenwood Rev Bernd. BA. East Hardwick

Pigot's 1841 Directory lists a number of schools - none seem to fit Hardwick Academy

Holyoak
02-09-2013, 9:31 AM
Thanks for this. Wish I could get to East Hardwick to have a look around and try to work out what is left of the building illustrated in my letters!

ELRYDER
03-09-2013, 2:03 PM
Hallo - thanks for your contact through British Genealogy.com.
Looking through my information about East Hardwick school.....I don't have too much more than what is showing on the thread.
My great grandfather Samuel Law attended the school in 1861 (I don't know for how many years though).

I do have a picture - or rather an illustration of the school which I can forward if you wish.

Like you I would like to find out more about the school.

Let's hope there is more info out there.

Holyoak
04-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Hi, I would love to see an illustration if you have one -how do we do this? I'm new at this game. I do have an etching on the EHA letterhead which the boys wrote on - I wonder if that is what you have too? I have found an 1893 map showing the site which fits with the etching I have, but apparently not much of it is left, which is a shame. What documents do you have relating to your ancestor at EHA, just out of interest? I could send you scans of these letters if you liked.

ELRYDER
15-09-2013, 9:58 PM
Hello Holyoak
Sorry about the delay in replying I am having a couyple of problems 1) I tried to insert the picture and it is not completing the insertion and 2) I have been trying to remember how to send a personal message - used to do this regularly. I have sent a message to the Forum Adminstrator of british-genealogy and hopefully will hear back soon and then I can get the info to you.

GEOTOW
27-09-2013, 4:51 PM
Hello Elryder, I have read all the information from everyone about East Hardwick School with great interest as my
grandfather and his brothers attended there. I had read the advert in the Leeds Mercury 1858 but had not been very
successful in finding out much more. The standard of education must have been reasonable as they all achieved in life, two
becoming solicitors, one a doctor, one brewer, one traveller, one farmer (my grandfather). They ranged in the school
between 1871 and 1893. Two of the boys won medals inscribed by Mr.Lord and Mr.Slack. I am interested in the
girls school which was latterly run by Mrs and Miss Slack. In 1891 census a Miss Edith Slack was staying with my great
grandparents in Mortlake Surrey, as she is born in East Hardwick I think that she is associated with the school.
Sorry I havn't added any more practical information to the forum but this introduces me and I will keep searching.
Best wishes GEOTOW

oldtimer793
25-02-2014, 2:59 PM
hello geotow i have in my hand a medal from east harwick school for g s barstow dated june 1879 if anyone has a connection i would like to here from you or any body with a connection with school this medal was for mostexemplary conduct.

GEOTOW
26-02-2014, 9:50 PM
Hello Oldtimer 793, Interesting to hear of the most exemplary conduct medal for G.S.Barstow. He would have been a contempary
of the three eldest great uncles. Harry (later to be killed in WW1) received the Victor Ludorum in 1881. Charles received something
called Cambridge Local in 1885 and 1886,and the last one like your medal 'for exemplary conduct' in1891. The Victor Ludorum is
shield shape and has what I think are his initials (H.C.W.)engraved on the front headed by E.H.S.A.S. I'm sure the first three
are East Hardwick School but do you have any ideas what A.S. stands for?.

oldtimer793
27-02-2014, 7:11 PM
Hi GEOTOW im afraid i no nothing about the medal this was found in my late fathers goods. My father was a probate solicitor and a lot of his bits and pieces he aquired during his job.If anybody would like this medal for family or school collections please get in touch as this is why i posted it on the thead