PDA

View Full Version : grandfather

Sybil B-J
06-01-2009, 2:40 PM
I am desperately trying to get info on my grandfather John Louis (Fourie?) Hubbard. He was born in Somerset East South Africa 1877. He later married my grandmother Kathleen Mabel Bennett from Croydon, Surrey, approx 1900 in Durban. He served in the Boer War and then in WW1. His youngest son Wallace was born in 1920 so he apparently came back from the war but then disappeared and left my grandmother with 5 young children. I can find no trace of a death or estate notice or a divorce as my grandmother later remarried John Coleman. ANY info is welcome. (I DO have a copy of his military service file)

Geoffers
06-01-2009, 5:21 PM
I am desperately trying to get info on my grandfather John Louis (Fourie?) Hubbard. He was born in Somerset East South Africa 1877.............my grandmother later remarried John Coleman. ANY info is welcome. (I DO have a copy of his military service file)

When she remarried, what was her marital status?

Searching TNA's catalogue, there is one reference to a divorce involving a John and Kathleen HUBBARD (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=-3140465&CATLN=7&Highlight=%2CJOHN%2CHUBBARD&accessmethod=0), but the wife's second name in the file is not shown as Mabel

Can you find him in any passenger lists, perhaps emigrating back to South Africa?

Does his military record show that he received a pension?

Sybil B-J
07-01-2009, 5:04 AM
Many thanks for your reply to my request for info on my grandfather. I have not been able to trace my grandfather on any passenger list so far. I do know that he was placed on the South African Air Force Nominal roll in 1919 and his youngest son was born in Nylstroom South Africa in 1920, so I presume he was back after the war. During WW1 he was a corporal as part of AIR 79, serial no 287470, 26th (South African) Squadron RAF.

According to one family member my grandmother was a widow when she remarried but I have a vague memory that she was divorced.

Your help has certainly given me encouragement as I have been searching for a very long time!!!

Regards

Sybil Banister-Jones

Sybil B-J
04-08-2009, 1:25 PM
Can anyone find a record for the death of my grandfather John Louis Hubbard? I dont know the date or place, but am considering that he might have left SA after WW1 and subsequently died in the UK. He was born in SA and married my grandmother Kathleen Mabel Bennett in 1903 in Durban. Kathleen was born in Croydon and came to SA as a child.

Thank you
Sybil Banister-Jones

MarkJ
11-11-2009, 9:47 AM
As this thread is about the same chap as another thread, I am going to close this one.

If you can assist, please use the other thread, which can be found here. (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53078)

Mark