PDA

View Full Version : umlaut vowels - "the ones with the dots"

Mike_E
06-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Most English speakers will have an english-language keyboard and will often be confonted with the problem of how to type special characters for foreign languages when doing searches. Iin German the problem will be the umlaut vowels - "the ones with the dots over them" - and the ß or scharfes-S

Here is a simple way of doing it in Windows.
You need the numeric block on the right of the keyboard ("num lock" on)
Hold the Alt key down and type in the following numbers

(or simply use the alternative spelling, without umlaut)

ä = Alt 0228 or ae
Ä = Alt 0196 or Ae
ö = Alt 0246 or oe
Ö = Alt 0214 or Oe
ü = Alt 0252 or ue
Ü = Alt 0220 or Ue
ß = Alt 0223 or ss

Peter Goodey
06-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Here is a simple way of doing it in Windows.

Or if you don't want to have to remember the code numbers, just click Start and then Run, type in charmap.exe and click OK to call up the Windows Character Map.

mary elms
06-01-2009, 11:27 AM
If you follow Peter's instructions you'll find them and much much more on the windows character map. I found that I was using it so much that it has lived on my taskbar for years now as an icon for quick and easy access.

Mary.

Peter Goodey
06-01-2009, 11:37 AM
For those who like remembering code numbers, the Word codes are in Word Help under "Keyboard shortcuts for international characters". But these shortcuts are specific to Word.

For Windows generally, just Google for ASCII Table

Then for example, using the numeric keypad, ALT-128 gives Ç ALT-135 gives ç etc

Sue Mackay
06-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Thank you Mike.
This has baffled me for a long time. Do you know if there is a similar method of inserting French punctuation marks, such as cedillas, circumflexes and accents grave and acute?
I've searched the 'Insert symbol' sections of Word and Works without success.

Finbar.

I have always used Insert Symbol in Word for umlauts and French accents. I have Normal Text set as the font. You need to scroll down a bit to find them the first time, but after a while the fractions and accented letters you use frequently always appear on the option bar at the bottom.

AnnB
06-01-2009, 1:33 PM
I have always used Insert Symbol in Word for umlauts and French accents. I have Normal Text set as the font. You need to scroll down a bit to find them the first time, but after a while the fractions and accented letters you use frequently always appear on the option bar at the bottom.
That's what I do too :)

Best wishes
Ann

Nicolina
06-01-2009, 3:21 PM
there is also a small programme called Umlauta that sits on your desktop, that you can download. I've found it ideal when writing to my German family.