PDA

View Full Version : Census : Schedules and Households

chris1824
08-02-2005, 6:28 PM
Dear Forum members

I'm trying to get to the bottom of the signifcance of the schedule numbers in the census.

My particular query relates to a branch of my ancestors in 1871. They lived in 14 Court, 11 House in Allison Street. The family consisted of the father (the head) and the mother and their 5 children.

At the same address there was another family, again consisting of the father, his wife and their children (of whom there were four). The father of this family was also recorded as a head, and they were listed under a separate schedule number.

My question is "What were the criteria for deciding if a person(s) were recorded under a separate schedule from other people at the same address?" I presume it was fairly clear cut in the case of a lodging house, but the example here seems a little more ambiguous.

As always thanks in advance for your help

Chris

Guy Etchells
08-02-2005, 6:55 PM
Each house should be supplied with a numbered schedule: each family should be enumerated fully and seperated from the next family living in the same house with a / when ever family in a house has been enumerated that schedule should be shown to be complete in the returns by the mark //

If a house is a multi occupancy house such as a tenement building each household within the building would be supplied with a seperate schedule.
Cheers
Guy

Guy Etchells
08-02-2005, 11:25 PM
I have added the Enumerator's directions to my census pages at
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~framland/census/censusindex.htm

These are the instructions as to how to fill in the 1841 census return.
Cheers
Guy