PDA

View Full Version : GRIFFITHS, Sarah

Shayner
05-01-2009, 1:09 AM
Has anyone lost a Sarah GRIFFITHS? I have a copy of my ggg grandmother's Entry of Marriage.

Date: Feb 28th 1850
Place: Parish of Brompton, County of Kent

Groom: Robert Stamp, Corporal Royal Marines
Bride: Sarah Griffiths, Spinster age 20

Father of Bride: William Griffiths, Blacksmith

Witnesses: James and Ann Whitehouse. (I believe this might be Sarah's sister and her husband)

Family legend had it that she was a wealthy Welsh heiress who ran away with the horse groom and was disinherited for her disobedience. Well... they had it somewhat right. We had a good chuckle over that one. I was glad to find some seeds of truth anyway.

I have her on the 1851 census and she is still only 20. Then, in the 1861 census she is 29. So, her birth year would have been about 1831 or '32. She is listed on the census as being born in Pembrokeshire.

I believe that I have found her family in St. Mary. If I am correct, her mother's name was Mary Blethyn.

If anyone has knowledge of this family group, I would love to get in touch with you.

Thank you
Shayne Moon

Orielbenfro
20-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Shayne

From my index of Pembroke St Mary Baptism Register for the period 1822 to 1847 I note
08 Apr 1831 Sarah to William & Maria Griffiths of Dunn’s Row a Whitesmith baptised by J. Dalton. (Please note James Dalton was the Curate at St Mary at this date).
07 Jan 1825 Mary to William & Maria Griffiths of Westgate a Whitesmith by C. Phillips. (Please note Charles H. Phillips was Vicar of St Mary at this date).
05 Dec 1827 Maria to William & Maria Griffiths of Pembroke a Whitesmith by C. Phillips.

From my index of Pembroke St Mary Mrge’s for the period 1803 to 1812 I note
William Griffiths of Pembroke St Mary married Maria Blethyn of Pembroke St Mary by banns on the 25 Aug 1807 in front of J. Hicks. Both signed their names in the presence of Geo Blethyn and W. Froyne.
(Please note that William Froyne was Parish Clerk at this time, a position the family Froyne would hold for generations to come).
Returning to my Baptism Index I note
Pembroke St Mary Baptism Register for the period 1748 to 1812 I note
07 June 1810 Jane Blethyn to William & Maria Griffiths baptised
12 Jan 1812 John to William & Maria Griffiths baptised
15 Apr 1808 Richard to William & Maria Griffiths baptised

There are two William Griffiths baptised at Pembroke St Mary pre 1807, from my index of Baptism 1748 to 1812 I note
21 Apr 1757 William to George & Anne Griffith baptised
30 Jan 1762/63 William to Charles & Mary Griffith baptised.
These both appear to early to be your William.

Turning to the Blethyn side of the family.
I note from my index of Pembroke St Mary Baptism Register 1748 to 1812
BORN 29 May 1790 baptised 26 Feb 1797 Frances to George & Jane Blethyn (this would have been a daughter then)
29 May 1781 George to George & Jane Blethyn baptised
BORN 26 Feb 1797 baptised 26 Feb 1797 Maria to George & Jane Blethyn
27 May 1780 William to George & Jane Blethyn baptised. This entry for 1780 is the only year that there is only one Baptism entry!!
17 July 1785 John to George & Jane Blethin baptised
31 Oct 1779 Richd to George & Jane Blethin baptised

Returning once again to the Mrge Register index I note
Pembroke St Mary Mrge Register for the period 1755 to 1802
George Blethin otp mrd Jane Furlong by licence 06 Dec 1778 in front of John Evans. Both signed their names in the presence of William (Surname u/r) and William Froyn.

I’m afraid there is no reference to the baptism of a George Blethin around 1758.
I’m afraid there is no reference to the baptism of a Jane Furlong around the time of your interest ie 1758.
I am aware that the Furlong family resided for years at this time and later in the parish of Pembroke St Michael and have therefore searched my index’s for Pembs St Michael parish also, alas I can find nothing that could equate to your interest.
I would note however that the Furlong surname is strong in the mid 1700’s in both parishes and the Blethin/Belthyn surname does appear in Pembroke St Mary.

From my index of Burgess and Freeman of Pembroke Borough 1711 to 2006 I note
George Blethyn a Blacksmith of Pembroke was admitted Burgess on the 12 Jan 1795 Admin Bk 6 Page 180 Minute Bk page 131. there is no further information shown in the documents referenced and there is no way I can be 100 percent sure this is your George.
For future reference it may be a good idea to keep in mind the following
Thomas Blethyn a Gentleman of Merlins Bridge St Issells was admitted Burgess 12 Jan 1795 Admin Bk 5 Page 05 Minute Bk page 150
William Blethyn a Smith, location not shown was admitted Burgess 01 Nov 1784 Admin Bk 4 Page 87 Minute Bk page 81.

Of course there are a number of Furlong and any number of Griffiths admitted as Burgess, it is impossible to list them all however I would make reference to
William Griffiths of Banker’s Row Pembroke admitted 13 June 1861 Admin Bk 19 Page 103 the son of William Griffiths of Monkton.
It does appear that Bankers Row and Dunns Row caused confusion and that some researchers believe the names refer to the same row of houses. This is not my belief, I think that Dunn’s Row (now long gone) stood under the walls of the Castle on Westgate hill, however I may well be corrected. I have a nice picture of the both places if you want a copy, send me a pvte msge of list.

From a separate Index of Burgess that I have drawn from other sources I have an index of Burgess 1678 to 1763, it is important I think to note that the Blethyn surname does not appear in this index, whereas the Furlong and Griffiths surnames appear thoughout the period.

From my transcription of the Borough Minutes for 1763 to 1813 I note
18 Jan 1813 Page 409
Ordered that George Blethin, Smith, be permitted to build a small half roof on the east side of his present shop to the extent of six feet, but to have no communication with or opening to the walk. To hold the same at the yearly rent of six pence during the continuance of his present lease granted by the Corporation on the said shop.

I trust the above is of some interest and assistance to your research.
Rgds
Oriel Benfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname

Orielbenfro
20-01-2009, 10:40 PM
From my transcription of the Account Books for Pembroke Borough 1770 to 1789 I note
10 Feb 1772 To cash paid to William Blethin Bills repairing the Clock £3 13 6.
(Ofcourse this is the clock that still stands in main street over the old Council Offices which is now Toys Insurance Agency.) Good photo if required.
14 Sept 1778 To cash paid George Blethin mend the Clocks 1/-
It appears from my research that there was an awfull lot of papers around and money being paid out and in for what people did not know, so a schedule was drawn up of what paper work was currently in hand, this schedule is dated 13 day of Dec 1790 the contents of the Corporation Chest and papers and contains
No 40 Counter part of a lease to Geo Blethyn on his shop.

24th Sep 1788 To cash paid Geo Blethyns Bill Market House 5/9

Please note that although George Blethyn has had his Blacksmiths Shop for some years it is only in 1790 that he appears to start paying rent as follows;
26 Jan 1790 By cash received of Geo Blethyn for 1 years rent for his shop 2/6

Turning to my transcription of the Accounts for 1811 to 1820 I note
28th Mar 1812 To Paid Geo Blethin for half years salary due Ladyday 1812 for repairing Flood gates £1 16 1 ½
26 Nov 1812 Recvd of Geo Blethyn 1 yrs rent due Micht 1812 £1 2 6
20 Oct 1814 Pd Geo Blethyn one year salary due Michr 1814 £3 14 5
30 Nov 1814 Recvd of Geo Blethyn one years rent Micht 1813 £1 2 6
He continued to receive his pay either half yearly or yearly and pay rent in 1815, 1816, 1817, 1818(paid only one guinea), 1819(was paid half year £1 12 9), his rent as normal Oct 15 1819 Paid Geo Blethyn his bill of 14/3 and also paid his half years salary due Michs 1819 £1 11 6

From my transcription of the Borough Accounts 1824 to 1835 I note
17 Oct 1828 Paid William Blethyn on order of the Mayor No 34 4/-
(Please note that by now all payments are made on a receipt nbr hence the No 34)
15 Dec 1827 Paid George Blethyn the amount of his bill for Copper and nails etc for the town Hall as per bill and receipt no 7 4/6
18 Aug 1829 Paid George Blethyn the amount of his bill for rope etc for the slaughterhouse as per receipt No 62 6/-
(Please note an awfull lot of money was spent on the Slaughterhouse which appears to have been built from scratch. I believe (again can be corrected) it was built on the commons about where the tanyard youth centre is now).
21 July 1830 Paid George Blethyn the amount of his bill as per receipt No 46 8/6
Note suddenly out of the blue George starts getting a salary again
30 Dec 1831 Paid George Blethyn the amount of his years salary due 25 Dec as per receipt No 33 £5 0 0
22 Jan 1833 Paid Geo Blethyns his years salary for attending the Town Clock as per receipt No 14 £5 0 0.
(So it appears George won a contract to maintain the Clock) paid again in 1834, )also by this time money received from rents does not appear to be shown in the accounts)
12 Jan 1835 Paid George Blethyn his years salary for winding up and taking charge of the clock as per No 20 £5 0 0

Rgds
Oriel Benfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname

Shayner
21-01-2009, 1:24 AM
Oriel

I can not begin to thank you for the wealth of information you have provided to me. |hug| It must have taken ages to find and type it all.

"From my index of Pembroke St Mary Baptism Register for the period 1822to 1847 I note 08 Apr 1831 Sarah to William & Maria Griffiths of Dunn’s Row a Whitesmith baptised by J. Dalton."

There are a couple of the things that have made me doubt the parentage of Sarah; the 1841 does not show relationships and her mother would have been 43 at the time of Sarah's birth. Given your baptism index, I think I am a little more sure. As they are long time residents, I don't think they could have had the child baptised as theirs if she wasn't. My thinking was that she may have been the child of an unmarried daughter.

I have found Sarah with William and Maria living on Dunns Row in the 1841 Wales census; HO107/1451/1 District 14 Folio 8 Page 8. William is 55, Maria 53, and Sarah 10. I then find William and Maria with their son John (37) on Bankers Row in the 1851 Wales Census; HO107/2476 Folio 356 Page 3.

"From my index of Pembroke St Mary Mrge’s for the period 1803 to 1812 I note William Griffiths of Pembroke St Mary married Maria Blethyn of Pembroke St Mary by banns on the 25 Aug 1807 in front of J. Hicks."

I found a reference to this in the IGI. I believed this to be the correct parents for Sarah partly because she used William as the middle name for her first son and Maria as the middle name of her first daughter. That daughter, Mary Maria, was my gggrandmother.

"There are two William Griffiths baptised at Pembroke St Mary pre 1807, from my index of Baptism 1748 to 1812 I note 21 Apr 1757 William to George & Anne Griffith baptised 30 Jan 1762/63 William to Charles & Mary Griffith baptised. These both appear to early to be your William."

I agree. Given the info from the 1841 and 1851 cenusus, William would have been born about 1786. The 1851 census has him born in St. Mary.

"I note from my index of Pembroke St Mary Baptism Register 1748 to 1812
BORN 26 Feb 1797 baptised 26 Feb 1797 Maria to George & Jane Blethyn"

I don't think this can be my Maria Blethyn as she would only have been ten years old at the time of the 1807 marriage. Again, given the census information Maria would have been born about 1788. You note born and baptised on the same day. I wonder what that means. Normally at this time frame children were not baptisted until later unless they were sickly and not expected to live.

"I would make reference to William Griffiths of Banker’s Row Pembroke admitted 13 June 1861 Admin Bk 19 Page 103 the son of William Griffiths of Monkton."

I haven't continued looking at this line as I was not sure I had the correct family. I can now continue as I am closer to being sure I am on the right track.

Thank you so much for your help.

Shayne|jumphappy

JoBlethyn
05-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Hi I'm Jo Blethyn, v new to this site, so still learning!!

Re "BORN 29 May 1790 baptised 26 Feb 1797 Frances to George & Jane Blethyn (this would have been a daughter then)"
Frances is Francis as I have him on my family tree married 1817 in London to Sarah Andrews.
My Blethyn's arrived in London around 1815 and I have trace them back thro Pembroke People, a book written by Richard Rose, census and certs, I also have a web page blethyn.com Would love to be able to "join up" with other Blethyn lines
Jo