PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Battalion 16 Foot

Michelle Rogers
04-01-2009, 5:27 PM
I've recently discovered that one of my ancestors (Robert Gamlin) served in the above regiment. Whilst the handwriting on the record is incredibly difficult to read I believe annotation reads " Crimea twice".

I'd be interested to know how I might find out more about the regiment and also if any records exist that might shed some light on Robert's service.

neil1821
04-01-2009, 5:46 PM
Can you give us some dates here, so we know exactly when we're talking about?
What's the record you have already? Any chance you can scan it so that we can see? Several pairs of eyes together may be able to decipher it properly.

I'm not aware of the 16th Foot having a 3rd battalion at the time of the Crimean War.
And the 16th Foot weren't in the Crimea anyway. So we need to review that record.

Michelle Rogers
04-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Thanks for such prompt responses.

Sadly I do not have an image of the record as the details were taken from an original Creed Admissions Register for Eastville Workhouse, Bristol in 1906. I'm confident that I transcribed the information correctly although I can't vouch for the accuracy of the information provided to the registrar!

As far as I can gather details of any potential pension were recorded in the Creed Registers and his entry stipulates 'no pension' so I assume that he did not serve long enough to qualify or was possibly a volunteer. No mention of a previous service record exists on any of the census returns.

Geoffers
05-01-2009, 12:17 AM
TNA's web-site has loads of research guides (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/researchguidesindex.asp#b) - click on the links prefixed 'British Army.'

Their catalogue has been playing up over he weekend, once it's back to normal (try on Monday sometime) it's worth a try in case he wasn't in the army very long, just enter a surname in the wrod or phrase field - remember to try variants GAM(B)LIN(G).

For other possible ways of searching, see the sticky thread 'How to find some British Army records' at the top of the 'Military - Army' forum.

keith9351
05-01-2009, 9:13 AM
During the Crimea War, Battle Honours were awarded to Militia battalions for garrison duty in the Mediterranean; rescinded in 1908. But no 16th relative Militia mentioned.

Keith