PDA

View Full Version : Wandsworth & Clapham Union Workhouse

shirtylady
03-01-2009, 7:35 PM
Happy New Year everyone,

Now that the Festive Season is over, I have a little more time to spend on my Family History Research.

I have two Gt Gt grandparents who were unfortunately in the Workhouse in London from about 1881 to 1894. I think I have traced their deaths, but haven't yet applied for the death Certificates.

Can anyone tell me where they would have been buried, if they had died in the Workhouse.

Also, does the Wandsworth & Clapham Union Workhouse building still exist? I know that several of the old workhouses were turned into hospitals or flats.

I would appreciate any advice.

Regards,

Pam (shirtylady)

Jan1954
03-01-2009, 7:41 PM
Have a look at workhouses.org.uk Enter Wandsworth into the search box and, when you find the page, it should tell you all about the place.

Some people were returned to their parish church for burial (mine were, out in Cambridgeshire) and others may have been buried in the grounds of the workhouse.

Kerrywood
03-01-2009, 8:22 PM
Many people from this particular workhouse were buried at Lambeth Cemetery in Blackshaw Road, Tooting (London SW17), but there would be many other possible burial places too.

Burial registers for Lambeth Cemetery are at Lambeth Council (http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/Services/CommunityLiving/DeathsFuneralsCremations/Cemeteries.htm) and (for those particular dates) also at Lambeth Archives (http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/Services/LeisureCulture/LocalHistory/Archives.htm#services). But in order to request a search you will need exact dates of death (not just the quarters), as given on the death certificates.

Kerrywood

Peter Goodey
03-01-2009, 10:55 PM
It's the infirmary that you should be particularly interested in.

Wandsworth & Clapham Union Infirmary was renamed St John's Hill Infirmary from 1920 to 1922 and then St John's Hospital. The hospital finally closed in about 1985.

Records including Admission & Discharge Registers from 1872 to 1956 are at the London Metropolitan Archives.

If someone died in the workhouse, the next of kin would have the opportunity to claim the body and have it buried at a place of their choice. Only if there was nobody to claim the body would the Board of Guardians organise the burial. You don't spend public money if there's somebody else available to pick up the tab!

shirtylady
04-01-2009, 3:01 PM
Thank you so much everyone for your very interesting and extremely helpful advice.

I have since discovered that my Gt Gt Grandmother and Gt Gt Grandfather were in different Workhouses, although they were both called Wandsworth and Clapham Workhouse. The addresses were Garratt Lane, Wandsworth and St. John's Hill, Battersea. It looks as though the one housing females had its own chapel etc which is shown on the front sheet of the Enumeration Book.

As their closest family members lived and worked in Birmingham, I doubt there would have been any claim for burial due to their poor circumstances.

I will certainly make contact with LME who maybe able to help with further information. I have also sent off for the death certificates, which will give me the exact dates of death.

Once again many thanks for help.

Regards,

Pam (shirtylady):)