PDA

View Full Version : entering twins

DaveinInskip
02-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Hello listers,can anyone help me to find the correct way of entering twins when transcribing baptisms.

At the moment I am entering the two names seperately,say Jim & Jane and in the notes "Twin".

Do I need to enter Jim as the twin to Jane and Jane as the twin to Jim
Or in other words do I need to enter their names in the notes?

I have searched around Freegen for answers to this without success,and any help would be appreciated.

T.I.A.

Dave in Inskip

Jan1954
02-01-2009, 11:03 PM
I have twins in my tree.

I do not know which year you are currently transcribing, but in 1785 mine were entered in the parish records as Thirza (twin of Mahala) and Mahala (twin of Thirza), daughters of John and Elizabeth Cowling.

Maybe the cleric entered the twin details twice, as it was quite an event! It also stopped any confusion over them possibly just being sisters who happened to be baptised on the same day.

Geoffers
02-01-2009, 11:27 PM
At the moment I am entering the two names seperately,say Jim & Jane and in the notes "Twin".

If you a transcribing baptisms as they appear in the register, with the same wording and word order, there isn't a problem. The index should be sufficient to use for number analysis of baptisms.

If transcribing baptisms into a tabulated document, it depends on the columns you are using.

You could create two entries and simply add a note 'twin'

Surname, Forename(s) - Parents - Note
SMITH, John - John + Mary - twin
SMITH, Jane - John + Mary - twin

This is probably best if using a spreadsheet, or a programme such as Custodian. I would suggest that if you a transcribing for freegen that you record two entries (but freegen administrators may disagree).

- but it does depend on personal preference, you may prefer to record them as

Surname, Forename(s) - parents - Notes
'SMITH, John + Jane' - John + Mary - twins'.

Whichever you choose, keep to one system and be consistent.

DaveinInskip
03-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi Jan1954 and Geoffers,

Thanks for your replies,I think I now know which way I am going.

regards
Dave in Inskip.