PDA

View Full Version : Latin Dates?

DaveinInskip
01-01-2009, 3:00 PM
hello listers,can anyone help me with a question on Latin dates
I have just started transcribing parish registers,after thousands of transcriptions of Census sheets,cemeterys,maps,I have come across a date which is confusing me, " DEC 1y 20 tn " on a baptism entry,in 1761,in a Catholic Register.

Would I be correct in thinking that this is the 19th of Dec.

If so can anyone tell me what the "y" and "tn" mean.

Dave in Inskip.

busyglen
01-01-2009, 6:23 PM
I Googled 1y 20 tn, but I'm afraid the answers were all `Greek' to me...sorry! :)

Glenys

Neil Wilson
01-01-2009, 7:11 PM
Was DEC 1y 20 tn the date of the enry or written elsewhere in the register?

MythicalMarian
01-01-2009, 7:20 PM
'Latin' dating should be no different to any other, Dave. Ancient Roman dating, however, was a different thing. But this has me perplexed totally. Was this a single reference, or is this format repeated throughout the register.

One thought is - what you are interpreting as a 1'y' could be iii, meaning the third day. The last number was often written with a downstroke, so may look like a 'y'. But the 20 tn is definitely something I've never come across.

DaveinInskip
01-01-2009, 8:01 PM
Alice Daughter of Willm Agnes Westhead baptizd Dec 1 y 20 tn .
Godfr, Thos. Westhead. Godmr, Eliz: Webster

Thomas Son of Willm & Ann Benson baptizd Dec 1 y 23 rd . Godfr,
Mr. Thos Massey.f Godmr, Miss Kitty Anderton

Miles Son of Willm & Cecily Swarbreck baptizd March y 27th Godfr, Miles Bullar. Godmr, Alice Bullar

Hello listers and thanks to the folks who replied,perhaps I should say that I am transcribing baptisms that have already been typewritten by someone else.
I have put them at the top of this reply and this is just as rec'd by me.

The 3rd entry is what I would call the standard entry,they are mostly just as this so the "y" I am thinking is for "Ye"
That leaves me with the first two and would ask what the 1 is for,the actual date of the 23rd and 22cd fit in with the rest of the entries ,but to call it a typing error is a bit on the wild side as the 1 is in the corner of the key board,but having said that perhaps it was typed on an old typewriter and every line was a movement in the top left corner.

I intend to continue entering these using the dates and ignoring the "1",
unless someone tells me its important.

Hope that clarifies my problem.
Dave in Inskip

arthurk
01-01-2009, 8:16 PM
Hi Dave

I suspect that whoever typed the copy you're using may have misread "Decr" (possibly with a superscript "r") as "Dec 1", and that as you suggest, "y" is "ye". However, without seeing the original it's impossible to be sure.

Arthur

DaveinInskip
02-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks to "busyglen,Neil Wilson,Mythical Marion,and arthurk"

I suspect that you are correct Arthur,thank you all for your help.

Back to transcribing.

Happy new Year

Dave in Inskip.