PDA

View Full Version : Bigamist Burlford Wiltshire 1916

Malmsbury
31-12-2008, 7:17 AM
I am looking for any information on bigamists in Wiltshire 1916 Harris V Harris.This is my first posting many thanks
Gayle

Procat
31-12-2008, 7:26 AM
Greetings Gayle and welcome to Brit-Gen.

I have given your post its own thread and title. Hopefully it will attract more attention that way.

Geoffers
31-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Welcome to the forums. bearing in mind your location, I think your best bet of finding something is in a newspaper. Either try The Times (enter 'Archive Times Online' into a search engine) - a pay per view site; or see if a larger local record office or library has a subscription to the Gale Group Newspaper site.

Records may also be found at The National Archives, Kew.

Did the trial take place in Wiltshire?

Malmsbury
01-01-2009, 8:21 PM
Thanks for reply Geoffers
I applied for divorce information and it mentioned Bigamy in the divorce proceedings I didnt know where to go from there.I am in Melbourne but I will try the sites you have mentioned.
regards
gayle

Malmsbury
01-01-2009, 8:24 PM
Thanks for welcome Procat very pleased to have found this site!!
regards
gayle

Geoffers
02-01-2009, 11:38 AM
I applied for divorce information and it mentioned Bigamy in the divorce proceedings

This was presumably the first (and legal) mariage as the second ceremony had no legal standing and would therefore not need any process to have it annulled.

Bearing this in mind, the bigamy could have occurred sometime before, so I would suggest widening the search to cover a few years before 1916.